Referees

Seaside Ram

8 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

It's quite perverse really.

The lower down the leagues the lower quality of refs you get, they don't have any help, there's no backup / safeguarding system but the impact of their incorrect decisions is perhaps wider and more detrimental to the clubs on the end of them than it is for clubs higher up the pyramid. Clubs who's very existence can hinge on a few hundred grand.

Meanwhile you've got the 'best' referees in the Premier League yet they get the assistance of a video replay system to ensure that their c*** ups can be reversed and have as little impact as possible in a league where the worst that can happen is a club suffering the indignity of a relegation to the Championship but tens of millions of pounds in parachute payments handed to them to ensure they have as much chance as possible of going back up.

Good point and to add to this the ref's in the prem are pros, work on their fitness, get to saint georges to get fit  and be assessed. L1 refs probably use their local gym and have a proper job so can't spend their day working on fitness/recovery

28 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Good point and to add to this the ref's in the prem are pros, work on their fitness, get to saint georges to get fit  and be assessed. L1 refs probably use their local gym and have a proper job so can't spend their day working on fitness/recovery

Well they could try too no excuses

The standard of officials is beyond laughable. And that goes for both teams on Saturday.Zero consistency in decision making all over the pitch. Guessing whether fouls are committed or not. The refs can't seem to keep up with play, their fitness is terrible. This is across all professional leagues. I've seen some shocking decisions this weekend from footage on social media. It is getting to the point of they are ruining matches. 

The refs need to take a refresher course on the rules because in our match, two Ipswich players were down on the field of play and didn't go off to the side to run back on. That's a blatant attempt of not following the rules of the game, nothing to do with 50 50 decisions.

It's about time the EFL made the majority of officials professional, not a part time job. I know we can all have a grumble at the decisions from time to time. It's nearly every matchday this season. I'm usually quite laid back however I can't find sympathy for any referee (minus the female ref who was excellent).

Edited by SSD

9 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Is that true? Are refs at our level still part-time? I didn't know that - that's shocking! 

Surely it would be in everyone's interests to make them full professionals in the pro game?

Even at our level, there's enough dosh flying about to make that happen.

Take a slice off players' and managers' wages. After all, it's their careers they are affecting with their crazy decisions!

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Is that true? Are refs at our level still part-time? I didn't know that - that's shocking! 

Surely it would be in everyone's interests to make them full professionals in the pro game?

Take a slice off players' and managers' wages. After all, it's their careers they are affecting with their crazy decisions!

AFAIK only PL and Championship refs are on a professional contract with PGMOL. PL are on a basic of roughly 70k a year. Compared that to PL player who earns this in a day. I am not even sure linos are on that contract.

16 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

AFAIK only PL and Championship refs are on a professional contract with PGMOL. PL are on a basic of roughly 70k a year. Compared that to PL player who earns this in a day. I am not even sure linos are on that contract.

Found this link for 20/21 season

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-202021-premier-league-referees-salaries-revealed-20200913

34 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

That would explain why they are so keen to make a name for themselves and get promoted! 

Yet again, all the riches at the top end of the game.

I would have thought 40k per year and a chance to work out for free would be tempting enough to get more young people into the game.

More women would be good, too. I think the players might be less inclined to play up against them.

There's too little respect and too much testosterone flying about between players and the male refs! 

On 01/04/2023 at 21:40, DiggerB said:

When I saw the replay on the concourse TV after my only thought was that Didzy had been pinged for offside and deemed “active” by being in the keepers eyeline. I was clearly clutching, but it was never a push!

Offside is the only thing I could see as well. He starts in front of the keeper and moves to the side. Probably would be classed as interfering with play but that's not what the decision was, so who knows!

21 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

Offside is the only thing I could see as well. He starts in front of the keeper and moves to the side. Probably would be classed as interfering with play but that's not what the decision was, so who knows!

If they had given offside, the linesman would have stuck his flag up, the referee would have indicated offside and put his hand up for an indirect free kick, he didn't. 

20 minutes ago, David Graham Brown said:

I was thinking wistfully about the Roman Amphitheater, and judging the referees performance at the the end of the game we either put our thumbs up, or in the case of Saturdays game down. The penalty for a thumbs down? I’m open to suggestions.

Release the lions?

It's got to the point now where I'd hope the club are in dialogue with the FA about the sheer level of incompetence present in the officials they provide. That's 2 apologies issued before the game has even finished in the last month- that's simply unacceptable. Apologies from officials are uncommon as it is, to say sorry DURING the game implies it's a ridiculously blatant mistake... That should be 1 a season, not bi-monthly ffs. 

Ultimately the ineptitude of the officials is now repeatedly impacting the integrity of our games, that needs addressing. Couldn't care less whether it's a conspiracy or just incompetence, the outcome remains the same.

In fairness, I think that mcgoldrick was in an offside position when Cashin headed the ball.

Now whether he was interfering is something that is open to debate, but with the rules as they are and with the utter incompetence of the officials these days, it just adds another level of confusion to an already ridiculous situation

On 02/04/2023 at 00:12, Rampant said:

Of course. The whole world is against us. 

I'm going to leave you muppets to fan the flames of your own conspiracy infernos. Yeah, you do that, Rampant!

And keep watching the BBC and reading the Dun and the Daily Mail. And maybe get someone to keep patting you on the head, and you’ll be fine!

14 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Well the EFL set a dangerous precedent when they allowed the two to sue. If we miss out on the play offs by one point, as it could have ended 1-1, have we got a valid claim for compensation against the EFL ? 

I am still pretty sure we can sue the EFL for the whole scandal, including for restriction of practice”. Fir the looooonnnggg delays in the early stages, allowing, no actually encouraging two clubs to sue us when it is against their own rules, which in turn led to us coming out of administration being delayed, which meant two key players couldn’t renew their contract and had to leave the club without replacement.  and pursuing us for breaking a rule that didn’t exist until February 2021. There are more reasons for legal action, but I think the point is made!

1 hour ago, Loughborough Ram said:

In fairness, I think that mcgoldrick was in an offside position when Cashin headed the ball.

Now whether he was interfering is something that is open to debate, but with the rules as they are and with the utter incompetence of the officials these days, it just adds another level of confusion to an already ridiculous situation

The ipswich player headed it to Cashin who scored - so that’s not offside anyway is it nowadays ?

9 hours ago, angieram said:

Assistant referees in the premier league are also not full time.