Peterborough United vs Derby County

cannable

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Hourihane had a decent 1st half, but DOMINATED come on. Not one of them bought the ball forward or even passed it to much effect. They were an awful 3.

Yes dominated!!! the first half all 3 of White Hourihane and Bird dominated their midfield …they struggled to get out of there half we won ever second ball and moved it around nicely …White included who you seem to dislike ….the problem comes when you dominate but don’t make it count ! We didn’t as we are toothless up front when a Didzy is not at it …Dobbin if he had held his position on the left could’ve picked up some of the crosses from NML instead he was too central …hourihanes cross into the box from a free kick was sublime …but not one player on the end of it …there were a few decent deliveries with no end product …Barks should’ve scored but without decent strikers we aren’t going to score enough 

if we had gone in 2-0 at HT it wouldn’t have been an injustice but when you don’t take opportunities when you’re in total control there is always the chance you’re going to end up with nothing …no team dominates for the entire 90 mins …We are lacking pace and power up front and no disrespect to Didzy but he’s no youngster …he needs a rest sometimes … who for? Dobbin for me is not good enough and I don’t get the springett signing ….out midfieId 3 would get into most teams in the top 6 and of our division ….but we are toothless and Collins is woeful ….a tryer yes but woeful ….also Cashin needs to get his form back …Fozzy and Roberts we’re good today Cashin wasn’t ….

1 hour ago, vonwright said:

Loads of things you could talk about and blame.  

But we do lack a centre forward who represents a constant goal threat and scores goals. 

Feel bad for Collins but he just hasn't worked out, has he? Such a crucial position and we have him, McGoldrick (doesn't really feel like a No 9) and... no one else.

This ….well said 

Under Paul Warne we have now won just 2 of 14 games against top 14 sides.

Posh 2-0 Derby

Derby 0-2 Fleetwood

Plymouth 2-1 Derby

Derby 2-2 Shrewsbury

Barnsley 4-1 Derby

Derby 2-0 Charlton

Derby 1-1 Lincoln

Wycombe 3-2 Derby

Derby 2-1 Bolton

Bolton 0-0 Derby

Derby 0-0 Sheff Wed

Portsmouth 0-0 Derby

Derby 0-0 Exeter

Ipswich 1-0 Derby

P14 W2 D6 L6 PTS12 GF11 GA18 GD-7

Now is our atrocious record against anyone half decent in this league down to the manager or the players?

What is alarming is after the Ipswich game, we actually looked solid against the likes of Pompey, Bolton and Owls.

Since Wycombe we have looked anything but. Regressed.

I can only judge from the radio commentary but my takeaways from yesterday are these:

PW was a late appointment after the squad had already been assembled

Many of this squad are either 30+ or under 25, almost no one in our squad is both in their prime physically and with lots of match experience, we are mostly either one thing or the other

There was not much of a pre season

Which means that at this stage of the season we are likely to lack stamina and therefore need to either be comfortably ahead at half time or making changes early in the 2nd half in order not to fade away as we usually do

Why make 3 substitutions of 1 player each leaving 2 fresh pairs of legs unused when we are losing and being played off the pitch?

Many of the top half sides in this league have been trying for years to get out

Which means that they have experienced and cunning players and managers at this level - dark arts, time wasting, physicality, cunning substitutions etc

Which means that despite our superior skills they often outwit us as they did yesterday and on other occasions

Which means that unless we change the approach for the final run in we will drop out of the top 6

But I hope I'm wrong because if we can make the playoffs I really fancy us to go up whoever the other teams are

COYR!

Putting aside how we played and whether we 'deserved' anything from the game as football match results aren't decided on merit rather on goals scored and conceded, it still gets me how Harvey White being tripped in the box didn't lead to a penalty to us to potentially bring it back to 1-1.

Almost identical to the one given against us at Plymouth that won them the game.

It does not matter whether their player got the minutest of touches on the ball or not, the laws of the game make no mention of this.

If the ref judged it was not a penalty, then White should have been shown a yellow for simulation. I'm sure the yellow he was shown together with the Peterborough player was for the fracas that ensued afterwards.

Well it’s the hope that kills you , fantastic run put us in the top 6 and nailed on to stay there with a real shot at chasing top 2 ,that certainly had the effect of making me forget what a mess we were in and my hope to avoid relegation this season before we kicked off , bought two season tickets even though we hadn’t renewed for a few seasons before that and I bought them expecting to watch us struggle but my driving factor in buying them was to put a tiny bit of money into the club after a fan like dc had saved us when perhaps he wasn’t brimming with the funds needed to wave a magic money wand and was restricted also , I remind myself of that this morning as I adjust my expectations, this is a derby that has been decimated over the last few years and I for one will do what I’ve always done when we are in it up to our necks ,,,, get behind the club ,

we were never in the top six under liam with this squad ? And we may not finish in it under warne , im gonna support the team and the manager for the rest of the season and cross my fingers for a return to form and another good run , im not going to slate those fans slating the manager or certain players because it’s bloody hard work being a derby fan at times and I feel the disappointment and frustration just like they do 

6 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

Putting aside how we played and whether we 'deserved' anything from the game as football match results aren't decided on merit rather on goals scored and conceded, it still gets me how Harvey White being tripped in the box didn't lead to a penalty to us to potentially bring it back to 1-1.

Almost identical to the one given against us at Plymouth that won them the game.

It does not matter whether their player got the minutest of touches on the ball or not, the laws of the game make no mention of this.

If the ref judged it was not a penalty, then White should have been shown a yellow for simulation. I'm sure the yellow he was shown together with the Peterborough player was for the fracas that ensued afterwards.

I think it does matter.

The rules say a direct free kick should be awarded if a player is careless, reckless or uses excessive force. If the player makes contact with the ball first (provided he doesn’t completely wipe the other player out by using excessive force) then I guess it can’t be deemed as careless or reckless. If you use your interpretation of the rule then if a player makes a good clean contact with ball and clears it but the other player still trips over him a free kick would have to be awarded.

Live, I thought it was a penalty but haven’t yet watched the highlights.

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

Well it’s the hope that kills you , fantastic run put us in the top 6 and nailed on to stay there with a real shot at chasing top 2 ,that certainly had the effect of making me forget what a mess we were in and my hope to avoid relegation this season before we kicked off , bought two season tickets even though we hadn’t renewed for a few seasons before that and I bought them expecting to watch us struggle but my driving factor in buying them was to put a tiny bit of money into the club after a fan like dc had saved us when perhaps he wasn’t brimming with the funds needed to wave a magic money wand and was restricted also , I remind myself of that this morning as I adjust my expectations, this is a derby that has been decimated over the last few years and I for one will do what I’ve always done when we are in it up to our necks ,,,, get behind the club ,

we were never in the top six under liam with this squad ? And we may not finish in it under warne , im gonna support the team and the manager for the rest of the season and cross my fingers for a return to form and another good run , im not going to slate those fans slating the manager or certain players because it’s bloody hard work being a derby fan at times and I feel the disappointment and frustration just like they do 

Bang on.

If we hadn’t had that excellent run of results (damn Paul Warne and the team) but instead been bubbling around 6th to 9th along with the chasing pack we probably wouldn’t be feeling half as bad and we’d probably be thinking “let’s consolidate this season and make a big push next season ready for a return to the Championship when the restrictions are lifted”.

21 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

I was stood near the incident and didn’t think it was a penalty. I may be wrong, but I can see why the referee didn’t give it.

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think it does matter.

The rules say a direct free kick should be awarded if a player is careless, reckless or uses excessive force. If the player makes contact with the ball first (provided he doesn’t completely wipe the other player out by using excessive force) then I guess it can’t be deemed as careless or reckless. If you use your interpretation of the rule then if a player makes a good clean contact with ball and clears it but the other player still trips over him a free kick would have to be awarded.

Live, I thought it was a penalty but haven’t yet watched the highlights.

I would argue it was careless in that White was tripped in the penalty area. The ball wasn't cleared by the Peterborough player and continued on the path White had played it despite their player brushing it. White stood no chance of taking a shot due to being tripped.

6 minutes ago, enachops said:

I was stood near the incident and didn’t think it was a penalty. I may be wrong, but I can see why the referee didn’t give it.

There's a nice clip of it on Twitter where it's possible to be your own VAR and watch it repeatedly.

8 minutes ago, enachops said:

We were stood right near it in the first block down the sideline and we and everyone around us going mad as thought clear penalty. Funny old game

In my opinion the game is lost if that foul on White is a penalty. We are already heading for a non contact sport, if fans now accept that an honest challenge for the ball should be given as a penalty then let's all knock it on the head and go home.

You have to score when you're playing well, it's always been true and unfortunately it is that, more than anything, that is holding us back at the moment. Get that right and everything else will fall into place.

7 hours ago, S8TY said:

Yes dominated!!! the first half all 3 of White Hourihane and Bird dominated their midfield …they struggled to get out of there half we won ever second ball and moved it around nicely …White included who you seem to dislike ….the problem comes when you dominate but don’t make it count ! We didn’t as we are toothless up front when a Didzy is not at it …Dobbin if he had held his position on the left could’ve picked up some of the crosses from NML instead he was too central …hourihanes cross into the box from a free kick was sublime …but not one player on the end of it …there were a few decent deliveries with no end product …Barks should’ve scored but without decent strikers we aren’t going to score enough 

if we had gone in 2-0 at HT it wouldn’t have been an injustice but when you don’t take opportunities when you’re in total control there is always the chance you’re going to end up with nothing …no team dominates for the entire 90 mins …We are lacking pace and power up front and no disrespect to Didzy but he’s no youngster …he needs a rest sometimes … who for? Dobbin for me is not good enough and I don’t get the springett signing ….out midfieId 3 would get into most teams in the top 6 and of our division ….but we are toothless and Collins is woeful ….a tryer yes but woeful ….also Cashin needs to get his form back …Fozzy and Roberts we’re good today Cashin wasn’t ….

We moved it around nicely, about sums it up. Not much incisiveness not much aggression going forward, but it was quite nice at times. My 'dislike' for White for stems from the fact it is him playing rather than Sibley. Or Bird or Hourihane. Three extremely similar nice midfielders.

They struggled to get out of their half but we struggled to get in their box. 

Another poor team choice from Warne including when and who he subbed.

11 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

In my opinion the game is lost if that foul on White is a penalty. We are already heading for a non contact sport, if fans now accept that an honest challenge for the ball should be given as a penalty then let's all knock it on the head and go home.

You have to score when you're playing well, it's always been true and unfortunately it is that, more than anything, that is holding us back at the moment. Get that right and everything else will fall into place.

Exactly what I said after the Plymouth game. Every little touch doesnt have to be a penalty.  

Nothing annoys me more than the refrain 'there was contact'...

Maybe there could be indirect freekicks given instead if we keep going down this line. Its slight 'obstruction' and it isn't a goal scoring opportunity that's been stopped.

26 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Bang on.

If we hadn’t had that excellent run of results (damn Paul Warne and the team) but instead been bubbling around 6th to 9th along with the chasing pack we probably wouldn’t be feeling half as bad and we’d probably be thinking “let’s consolidate this season and make a big push next season ready for a return to the Championship when the restrictions are lifted”.

If we were playing like we are now we'd certainly be thinking it'll need a big push next season. The point is we haven't done that, what point is there in denying the truth of our current situation to say well it could have been worse? 

8 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I hold the opposite opinion!

I prefer to see attacking play and goals, and consistency in refereeing decisions. If an attacker in a good position in the box can be tripped but no foul given then fair enough, put that in the laws of the game and we can all judge if we're still interested in football or not.

What constitutes an 'honest challenge' is a matter of debate. Looking at the clip the Peterborough player in facing towards White and puts his leg out and trips him. Was he thinking he had a good chance of clearing the ball, that he didn't, or was he trying to stop White at all costs?

No point asking the player as a footballer will say black is white and vice versa when it comes to decisions. It was a reckless challenge to make in the box and stopped the attacking player from progressing, as we found out when Plymouth beat us due to a similar scenario.

I don't agree you have to score when you are playing well either. It certainly helps, but you can score when playing badly or indifferently as well, and these goals can then give the team impetus to go on and win the game and deflate the 'better playing' opposition.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We moved it around nicely, about sums it up. Not much incisiveness not much aggression going forward, but it was quite nice at times. My 'dislike' for White for stems from the fact it is him playing rather than Sibley. Or Bird or Hourihane. Three extremely similar nice midfielders.

They struggled to get out of their half but we struggled to get in their box. 

Another poor team choice from Warne including when and who he subbed.

Centre of midfield is definitely our “Soft Underbelly”. Teams run straight through us. We are far too nice. We don’t seem able to put strong tackles in or even little trips to slow teams down.If only we had a young Bryson coming through. Bird needs to drop down a league.

19 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Centre of midfield is definitely our “Soft Underbelly”. Teams run straight through us. We are far too nice. We don’t seem able to put strong tackles in or even little trips to slow teams down.If only we had a young Bryson coming through

Every time we play I think of graeme shinnie.  He would transform our lacklustre halves of football.