Peterborough United vs Derby County

cannable

10 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Well you have to question the wisdom of acquiring a set of players to play possession based football and then appointing Warne? It was a risk and it hasn't paid off. 

I don't think it was done because he thought Warne could guarantee promotion without building a team for himself, it was done for a long term plan of having someone with a fresh outlook who can build a sustainable team, not someone who just signs big time Charlies for big time money, because its that mentality that ruined us in the first place. Warne is about building an honest hardworking team, atleast let him have the opportunity to build one

16 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Out of interest, when does the “you should be happy we still have a club” excuse run out? If we’re still in League One in 5 years time, should we still be using that to excuse managers making the same, obvious mistakes every week?

I think this season it would have applied to LR if he’d still been manager too, at least it would have for me.

Lets not play it down, the clubs been through absolute turmoil in the last year or so.

As next season progresses then we can certainly ease back on it.

Edited by Ramarena

5 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

I'm glad you agree with me that applying that stereotype to all black people is unacceptable. So why apply the stereotype singularly to NML? Aren't we meant to be supporting him?

I'm not going to convince anyone here that the song is problematic if they don't already think so. But I'll be happy if I've made anyone think about it for 5 minutes, or how it might affect a player we're meant to be supporting. Or how it might affect black supporters attending games. It's a hard one to have to explain to my kids.

I wondered same until Didzy said it was his favourite🤷‍♀️ On the SBW podcast with nml song was mentioned and he seemed very positive about it and that fans had taken him to hearts. He hasnt gone off since the song appeared I think like the others he is just weary.

2 minutes ago, Rammeister said:

It’s a fair question.

I think we need a couple of transfer windows where we operate on the same basis as everyone else- i.e. we can actually buy a player or two that suit how we want to play rather than fishing entirely in the loan/freebie market. 

Just now, oodledoodle said:

Realistically, when we've had a few transfer windows where we've been allowed to sign players as normal. We're still working under restrictions, so with that in mind we're probably doing fine.

So you’re both quite happy to be in League One for 3 or 4 seasons?  I think if that happens there’s a genuine danger that we get stuck here for a long time.  I’m not saying we should automatically be winning the league or anything, but we should be expecting more than we’re seeing at the moment IMO. 

If Warne is not capable of getting this squad to perform, and there’s no realistic prospect of giving him the squad he wants for multiple seasons (let’s be honest we’re not splashing cash around this summer either), then he simply should never have been given the job.

Just now, duncanjwitham said:

So you’re both quite happy to be in League One for 3 or 4 seasons?  I think if that happens there’s a genuine danger that we get stuck here for a long time.  I’m not saying we should automatically be winning the league or anything, but we should be expecting more than we’re seeing at the moment IMO. 

If Warne is not capable of getting this squad to perform, and there’s no realistic prospect of giving him the squad he wants for multiple seasons (let’s be honest we’re not splashing cash around this summer either), then he simply should never have been given the job.

We've not even been in league one for a single season, and we've not been able to buy a player. I've not resigned myself to 4 years of this at all.

2 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

I wondered same until Didzy said it was his favourite🤷‍♀️ On the SBW podcast with nml song was mentioned and he seemed very positive about it and that fans had taken him to hearts. He hasnt gone off since the song appeared I think like the others he is just weary.

I'd not seen that to be fair. I'm glad the players can laugh about it then, if that is the case.

Just now, oodledoodle said:

We've not even been in league one for a single season, and we've not been able to buy a player. I've not resigned myself to 4 years of this at all.

But you’re happy to write off this season because of the lack of transfers, and if the restrictions aren’t relaxed next season (which the won’t be in any real way, if we don’t go up), then we can write that off too? So then you’re in season 3 already and you want to give him “a few” transfer windows before you judge him?

23 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Out of interest, when does the “you should be happy we still have a club” excuse run out? If we’re still in League One in 5 years time, should we still be using that to excuse managers making the same, obvious mistakes every week?

Whenever you feel right to. 

David Clowes has set a 5 year goal so to get back to the championship so maybe you’re right and it is a 5 year “excuse”. For me it’s not an excuse, it is relevant context for why our club isn’t quite back where it belongs. 
Warne has shown some limitations or stubbornness on this recent run, but for me there’s more to it than just “Warne is rubbish”.  Which manager available to us this season would be doing better? We can’t say. However a big part of Morris’ tenure and ultimately the crisis it led to was the hiring and firing of managers and the constant need to bring in their kind of players. I’m content to sit through this rough patch with the expectation that we will see more player turnover in the summer, recruitment tailored to how Warne wants to play and then we’ll see how we go from there. If come Nov/Dec we’re not going anywhere fast then I’ll ask questions about his suitability for the role. For now I’m using that perspective and context to temper any disappointment in view of the longer term goals.

3 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

But you’re happy to write off this season because of the lack of transfers, and if the restrictions aren’t relaxed next season (which the won’t be in any real way, if we don’t go up), then we can write that off too? So then you’re in season 3 already and you want to give him “a few” transfer windows before you judge him?

I've not written this season off, we're sixth and in the middle of a promotion push. Remember the playoffs where we lost our to Hull? We'd spanked them twice that season, and even battered them in the second leg. We lost to QPR in that final after being miles better than them over the season, and the 90 minutes. We've just got to be in it and we have a great chance to go up.

I can live with no being one of the best two teams this year. Wednesday and Plymouth have been very, very good.

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Whenever you feel right to. 

David Clowes has set a 5 year goal so to get back to the championship so maybe you’re right and it is a 5 year “excuse”. For me it’s not an excuse, it is relevant context for why our club isn’t quite back where it belongs. 
Warne has shown some limitations or stubbornness on this recent run, but for me there’s more to it than just “Warne is rubbish”.  Which manager available to us this season would be doing better? We can’t say. However a big part of Morris’ tenure and ultimately the crisis it led to was the hiring and firing of managers and the constant need to bring in their kind of players. I’m content to sit through this rough patch with the expectation that we will see more player turnover in the summer, recruitment tailored to how Warne wants to play and then we’ll see how we go from there. If come Nov/Dec we’re not going anywhere fast then I’ll ask questions about his suitability for the role. For now I’m using that perspective and context to temper any disappointment in view of the longer term goals.

Indeed whoever is manager there’s going to be another summer of large scale player turn over. A mixture of loan players leaving and players coming to the end of their contracts ensures this.

Warne will be able to start building his squad next season, he won’t be able to avoid it given the turnover.

As next season progresses we will be able to judge him on his terms.

The way I see it, we knew the position going into the season. We knew we were going to probably have a small, hastily assembled squad.  We should be using that to guide what we’re doing, not doing the complete opposite and then saying we can’t help it when things go wrong.  It’s only an excuse because we’re making it one.  

If we have a small squad, full of older players, instead of running them into the ground and saying “nothing we can do about it, went into admin”, maybe you just don’t play ultra-aggressive pressing for 90 minutes every week.  If you don’t have any target men, don’t lump the ball forward, lose it and say “sorry, admin, no players”, you just don’t lump it forwards all the time.  And so on and so on.