Peterborough United vs Derby County

cannable

11 hours ago, Magicman said:

Big game v Ipswich coming next lets hope he does'nt pick Dobbing again. 

Your obsession with Dobbin is really really strange. Same for other people who look to single him out time and time again.

He’s not the reason we lost, he did as much or as little as any of the other forward players yesterday. It is a team game, Dobbin has already had a part to play for us this season and will again before the season ends. Very much in the same way that NML, Barkhuizen, McGoldrick and Collins do. 

For the 50th time, we know he isn’t the best player in the world, his finishing is erratic, but he has pace and directness that puts opponents on edge and he can (as he has done a few times) chip in with an assist or a goal. To hope that Warne no longer uses a player in the squad who has a couple of different assets compared to his colleagues makes no sense, whether you personally like him or not. 

30 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If we were playing like we are now we'd certainly be thinking it'll need a big push next season. The point is we haven't done that, what point is there in denying the truth of our current situation to say well it could have been worse? 

Over the course of the season, we probably aren’t as good as that good run suggested or as bad as our current run suggests. I’m just talking about the psychological effect of where that purple patch elevated us to. I’m not saying “it could have been worse”. On the contrary, if we’d been in or around the chasing pack but now managed to nudge our way into the top 6 albeit by just a point (in other words if the run of wins and current run of poor results had been more evenly spread) we’d probably all be feeling a lot better. It’s all academic of course because it didn’t happen.

1 hour ago, WestKentRam said:

I would argue it was careless in that White was tripped in the penalty area. The ball wasn't cleared by the Peterborough player and continued on the path White had played it despite their player brushing it. White stood no chance of taking a shot due to being tripped.

All matters of opinion I guess. The rule of thumb adopted by referees, pundits, commentators and VAR seems to be that if the defender touches the ball first and hasn’t used excessive force then it’s no foul. I’m pretty sure that’s always been the case.

Maybe the rules need to be more clearly defined. I would agree that, based on your description (as I say, I’ve not watched the replay yet) morally it should have been a penalty but the referees long-standing interpretation of the rules means it wasn’t. 

Edited by Tamworthram

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Your obsession with Dobbin is really really strange. Same for other people who look to single him out time and time again.

He’s not the reason we lost, he did as much or as little as any of the other forward players yesterday. It is a team game, Dobbin has already had a part to play for us this season and will again before the season ends. Very much in the same way that NML, Barkhuizen, McGoldrick and Collins do. 

For the 50th time, we know he isn’t the best player in the world, his finishing is erratic, but he has pace and directness that puts opponents on edge and he can (as he has done a few times) chip in with an assist or a goal. To hope that Warne no longer uses a player in the squad who has a couple of different assets compared to his colleagues makes no sense, whether you personally like him or not. 

He adds nothing in the fight we are in rather have Springett out left.

2 minutes ago, Magicman said:

He adds nothing in the fight we are in rather have Springett out left.

In the chances he’s been given what has Springett offered that Dobbin hasn’t? 
Dobbin has scored goals and provided assists in this side. You can push your odd agenda over and over again but those are the facts. He has missed chances, as have all the other attacking players. Barkhuizen missed a header from a few yards out yesterday and yet you’re not calling for him to be bombed out of the squad. You’re unable to offer any rational or logical explanation for why Dobbin doesn’t deserve to be part of the squad which just backs up the idea that for some reason you’ve singled him out as your pantomime villain and it’s bordering on satire at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Dobbin has scored goals and provided assists in this side. You can push your odd agenda over and over again but those are the facts. He has missed chances, as have all the other attacking players. Barkhuizen missed a header from a few yards out yesterday and yet you’re not calling for him to be bombed out of the squad. You’re unable to offer any rational or logical explanation for why Dobbin doesn’t deserve to be part of the squad which just backs up the idea that for some reason you’ve singled him out as your pantomime villain and it’s bordering on satire at this point. 

You miss the point we are in a 8 game battle and Dobbin is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Dobbin looked utterly out of the game yesterday. How did he stay on? 

Just as importantly yet again we ended a game with little in the way of a formation, who was doing what where?

Just now, Tamworthram said:

All matters of opinion I guess. The rule of thumb adopted by referees, pundits, commentators and VAR seems to be that if the defender touches the ball first and hasn’t used excessive force then it’s no foul. I’m pretty sure that’s always been the case.

I think the frustration is that it seems to be a penalty if it’s at our end, such as Plymouth. Fine margins. We don’t seem to have had the rub of the green with decisions such as this and hence the issue becomes exacerbated. Either they are both penalties or neither is. The same can be said for numerous other incidents this season.

I am slightly of the belief that there is a desire for refs to show that they are not swayed by a big crowd whilst at Pride Park. Or maybe they are all just extraordinarily poor. 

However, what is clear is that we desperately have to find players who need to slowly tie their boot laces when defending a lead, have serious injuries to their head that need treating via their ankle being rubbed and a goalkeeper with a Velcro top meaning he is unable to let the ball go for 15 seconds when about to kick it. These players seem crucial in league one. Separate issue and not necessarily related to the game yesterday but still. 

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I reckon the club will give Warne exactly what you suggest.  

But here’s the thing. We know these players well. We know what they’re capable of. They are not delivering. Not one of them is playing to his potential. That’s a problem the manager has to fix, whether or not he’s bought them. 

We do, to a degree, the likes of collins, nml and barks for instance. We know theyve had moments in the league above… but for all of them that was a good few years ago.

theyre all well past their prime and having to manage their bodies accordingly.. as a 45 yo who still plays i can vouch for it lol.. u see things u want to do, positions and spaces u want to get into but sometimes u have to turn it down cos u know if u dont make it your going to be wildly out of position.

the first thing warne said when he came in was the squad lacked players in that prime age bracket… i think that still rings very true and with a hugely restricted transfer window i think we’re feeling the effects of it 

3 minutes ago, Magicman said:

You miss the point we are in a 8 game battle and Dobbin is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I think you may be the one missing the point, we are in an 8 game battle and need all the players registered and available to Paul Warne to contribute before the season ends. Singling one out and saying they shouldn’t be involved is nonsense. Springett may well chip in with a goal or an assist, as may Dobbin. How you can watch yesterday when he turned their player on the touch line and burned them for pace on the wing and say he’s completely useless is beyond me. His finishing and decision making are a problem as that run ended with him trying to bend it into the top corner when drilling it low or passing were probably better options, but his attributes created the opportunity and we will need that at times. 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Dobbin looked utterly out of the game yesterday. How did he stay on? 

Just as importantly yet again we ended a game with little in the way of a formation, who was doing what where?

I can’t answer that, I can speculate that Warne probably saw Dobbin’s pace as an asset, NML looked spent physically when subbed so that may have contributed to it.

I agree there was little shape or structure as we chased the game. I am just looking to promote a little balance and reason. I’ve said it to you before Roy and Magicman many times, while no player is immune to criticism, the weird idea that singling out a Dobbin or Collins as the single focus for our failings never makes sense to me. It’s a team game, we have a squad made up of players who are all limited in some ways and have attributes to contribute in others, we all want a better squad and better performance (as our chat last week showed) but the reality of our situation means we have the squad we do for now and to suggest a Dobbin or Collins or whoever shouldn’t be involved seems counterproductive to me. 

17 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Yep, it would be a pretty boring forum if everyone had the same opinion, unless they were the same as mine of course, just one big echo chamber.

I remember one argument against VAR before it was brought in, that the joy of football was discussing the controversial incidents after the game, and VAR would ruin it as everything would be 100% definitive with this. Ha!

Don't get me started on pundits and commentators, and refereeing inconsistencies... The laws of the game can sometimes seem like a rough guide when it suits them (see the time wasting thread and the 6 second goalkeeper handling of the ball law that is never applied) 🤯

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Now is our atrocious record against anyone half decent in this league down to the manager or the players?

What is alarming is after the Ipswich game, we actually looked solid against the likes of Pompey, Bolton and Owls.

Since Wycombe we have looked anything but. Regressed.

The easiest thing to do to prove or disprove your assertion is to get a series of timemachines (to obviously make it a fair test) then port in Rosenoir over the same period you're sampling plus a number of other League 1 managers - then compare the outcome with that of Warne so see how many managers have a more favourable or unfavourable record. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

42 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I think he is an attention seeker CR, just ignore him, that should do the trick 😁

Just now, Abu Derby said:

When we went in at half time at 0-0 I knew that we’d lose the game. I also think that applies to the players and the manager.

How we are seemingly unable to perform at the same level for 95 minutes will be the reason why we won’t be promoted this season. 

You might well be right. As well as not being able to adapt to the opposition manager shaking things up, it could be a state of mind thing.

This is the exact message I sent at Half time to my Arsenal supporting friend:

Typical Derby I fear. Dominated the first half but failed to capitalise. They can’t normally maintain it for both halves and/or Warne can’t react to the other team changing things and stepping it up. Defeat incoming”🙁

16 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

When is a sensible time for that to happen? For me it’s a little while longer  yet. 

yeah i agree caerphilly 100%, as i say clowes has huge credit in the bank

but a time will come when if we are lingering in this division the point becomes irrelevant

1 hour ago, Abu Derby said:

When we went in at half time at 0-0 I knew that we’d lose the game. I also think that applies to the players and the manager.

How we are seemingly unable to perform at the same level for 95 minutes will be the reason why we won’t be promoted this season. 

strangely i said the same at half time, i thought i was just being negative but we have become painfully predictable and thats the worst thing a team can be, unless of course its being predictable about winning games

Edited by alram

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I can’t answer that, I can speculate that Warne probably saw Dobbin’s pace as an asset, NML looked spent physically when subbed so that may have contributed to it.

I agree there was little shape or structure as we chased the game. I am just looking to promote a little balance and reason. I’ve said it to you before Roy and Magicman many times, while no player is immune to criticism, the weird idea that singling out a Dobbin or Collins as the single focus for our failings never makes sense to me. It’s a team game, we have a squad made up of players who are all limited in some ways and have attributes to contribute in others, we all want a better squad and better performance (as our chat last week showed) but the reality of our situation means we have the squad we do for now and to suggest a Dobbin or Collins or whoever shouldn’t be involved seems counterproductive to me. 

Dobbin does seem to a bit Marmite.  I was walking back to the car after the Shrewsbury game and I heard someone say something along the lines of “I hope Dobbin breaks his knee so we don’t have to pick him again”!!  Really??!!

I quite like Dobbin, he has pace, works hard, and on his day full backs can’t handle him.  Granted he needs to work on his finishing.  But we need to remember he’s a young lad playing his first full season - there’s a reason why he’s on loan in L1 and not playing for Everton in the PL.  I do think he’s better coming off the bench though and has more impact the Barkhuizen.  Start Barkhuizen, bring Dobbin on after 60mins.