Peterborough United vs Derby County

cannable

2 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

If we'd been outside the top 6 all season and we'd won today to go 6th, we'd all be bouncing. Let's wait and see where we end up.

But we haven't and we didn't and we're not.

Warne changes things around to have an effect but its not having a positive one. Maybe our unbeaten run was down to luck because he didn't mess about with the team? 😄

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Warne changes things around to have an effect but its not having a positive one. Maybe our unbeaten run was down to luck because he didn't mess about with the team? 😄

You were willing to give Wazza time Macca, same should go for Warney 😁

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If one was feeling particularly malicious, one might be tempted to suggest that the more Warne has stamped his identity on the team, the worse we’ve got… 😬

5 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

No. We're getting our losses out the way early.

Do you mean getting our losses out of the way late? 

If we don’t address this slide on Saturday (and maintain the improvement) we’ve only got 8 games left this season.

In my predictor, I had us down to lose against Ipswich and only draw with Portsmouth. I think we probably need to win them both now (along with our other home games). 

14 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The way I see it, we knew the position going into the season. We knew we were going to probably have a small, hastily assembled squad.  We should be using that to guide what we’re doing, not doing the complete opposite and then saying we can’t help it when things go wrong.  It’s only an excuse because we’re making it one.  

If we have a small squad, full of older players, instead of running them into the ground and saying “nothing we can do about it, went into admin”, maybe you just don’t play ultra-aggressive pressing for 90 minutes every week.  If you don’t have any target men, don’t lump the ball forward, lose it and say “sorry, admin, no players”, you just don’t lump it forwards all the time.  And so on and so on.

Knowing a situation and being able to effectively navigate it aren’t guaranteed. 
This is not going to be a quick win, even if we manage to go up through the play offs this season we will be at a disadvantage, that’s why it’s about context and perspective not an excuse. We are not yet able to compete in the same way as other clubs off the pitch. Warne’s appointment was part of that process, this summers recruitment will be another part of that. 
Say Clowes does part ways with Warne now, then we have to find another manager, potentially the back room staff who have been added with the longer term project in mind have to change, potential transfer targets become the wrong people for what we want, as rubbish as this situation is currently, changing things now for the sake of it will make it worse. We are not going to get relegated, we might or might not get promoted, another season at this level won’t destroy anything or cause any major problems to anyone’s lives other than having to visit a few more clubs and stadiums without the facilities of some champ clubs. 
I appreciate your view on the whole thing but I genuinely think people need to find a way to temper their disappointment and expectations, keep perspective of the club’s situation for a little while longer. If next season continues to be inconsistent in this same way I think that’s a little fairer to question. 

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You were willing to give Wazza time Macca, same should go for Warney 😁

By what logic (if you use logic) does that follow. He's looking somewhat random and a bit clueless with his team selection. How is that Rooney's fault? 😄

29 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Whenever you feel right to. 

David Clowes has set a 5 year goal so to get back to the championship so maybe you’re right and it is a 5 year “excuse”. For me it’s not an excuse, it is relevant context for why our club isn’t quite back where it belongs. 
Warne has shown some limitations or stubbornness on this recent run, but for me there’s more to it than just “Warne is rubbish”.  Which manager available to us this season would be doing better? We can’t say. However a big part of Morris’ tenure and ultimately the crisis it led to was the hiring and firing of managers and the constant need to bring in their kind of players. I’m content to sit through this rough patch with the expectation that we will see more player turnover in the summer, recruitment tailored to how Warne wants to play and then we’ll see how we go from there. If come Nov/Dec we’re not going anywhere fast then I’ll ask questions about his suitability for the role. For now I’m using that perspective and context to temper any disappointment in view of the longer term goals.

Where has Clowes said this is a 5 year plan? I hadn’t seen that. Interesting 

Part of what’s annoying me so much is that the mistake has been made, it’s too late to fix it now (IMO obviously). There’s no realistic prospect of sacking Warne because any compensation is going to eat into the already-small playing budget too much.   But I don’t see him having any kind of sustained success with this squad, and I don’t see any realistic prospect of getting him the squad he wants next season either - I still think we’ll be largely restricted to frees and loans, which probably means a smallish squad of kids and over-30s again.  So we’re stuck going nowhere, and it’s entirely our own choice.  I can live with bad luck etc, but I don’t accept doing stupid things where the outcome is entirely predictable, and then acting surprised when it happens.

10 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Where has Clowes said this is a 5 year plan? I hadn’t seen that. Interesting 

There’s a really good interview he gave, it’s been shared on the forum, well worth a read and helps keep an idea of where the owner sees the club currently and in the future. 

here’s the link, it’s a digital magazine, scroll to page 16 if you want to read it;

https://heyzine.com/flip-book/8867b12b48.html

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added link

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

By what logic (if you use logic) does that follow. He's looking somewhat random and a bit clueless with his team selection. How is that Rooney's fault? 😄

It’s a valid point. At no stage have we looked as bad this season as we did the last half of Wazza’s first season. We were clueless and abysmal. Both Managers were working under difficult conditions 👍

1 hour ago, oodledoodle said:

I'm glad you agree with me that applying that stereotype to all black people is unacceptable. So why apply the stereotype singularly to NML? Aren't we meant to be supporting him?

I'm not going to convince anyone here that the song is problematic if they don't already think so. But I'll be happy if I've made anyone think about it for 5 minutes, or how it might affect a player we're meant to be supporting. Or how it might affect black supporters attending games. It's a hard one to have to explain to my kids.

The song makes no mention of his skin colour, and does nor use the word "black". Would it still be a racist song if NML happened to be white-skinned?