Peterborough United vs Derby County

cannable

1 hour ago, MarsdenRam said:

My man of the match - Mick George. He looked to be all over the field.

image.thumb.png.46d2a6c6bbf6c91609883c115794990a.png

If you happen to be in the Peterborough or Cambridge areas you might notice lorries with "Mick George Skips" written on their sides. If I were Mick George I wouldn't want to boats about having that as a personal habit, but each to his own!

Edited by DavesaRam

Warne doesn't have a plan B because we don't have enough players for a plan B. When you look at our bench, where are the game changers? They bring on Poku and similar, we just don't have the luxury. Tactically smashed them first half, but as soon as they change formation we don't have the flexibility to respond. We're a squad of old men, and we get actively worse when Collins is brought on.

4 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The song makes no mention of his skin colour, and does nor use the word "black". Would it still be a racist song if NML happened to be white-skinned?

I can see you're thinking about this, so thank you very much for that. Racism is sometimes using certain language to belittle or attack a specific set of people. If I told you to go back to Africa, that would be nonsense. If you said the same to me, that would be different.

It doesn't have to be universally offensive to be racist. In fact, inclusive language is something that should absolutely be encouraged. It sounds like that's something that you're thinking about, which is excellent. So thank you.

Just now, NorwichExile said:

Warne doesn't have a plan B because we don't have enough players for a plan B. When you look at our bench, where are the game changers? They bring on Poku and similar, we just don't have the luxury. Tactically smashed them first half, but as soon as they change formation we don't have the flexibility to respond. We're a squad of old men, and we get actively worse when Collins is brought on.

We are not a squad of old men, lots of youngsters 🤔

I'd be surprised to see Barkhuizen here next year.  I cannot see why he was dropped for Dobbin when he was in great form after Christmas.  I also noted he was called out on the radio by the manager for missing a 'gilt edged chance'.  A decent chance i'd say but not gilt edged.  The afore mentioned Dobbin did create a 'gilt edged chance' in his only meaningful play of note and tamely blazed it wide.  No mention.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'd be surprised to see Barkhuizen here next year.  I cannot see why he was dropped for Dobbin when he was in great form after Christmas.  I also noted he was called out on the radio by the manager for missing a 'gilt edged chance'.  A decent chance i'd say but not gilt edged.  The afore mentioned Dobbin did create a 'gilt edged chance' in his only meaningful play of note and tamely blazed it wide.  No mention.

Do you think Kinkladze would have been played by Warne? I nearly started a thread a few days ago entitled 'Players who wouldn't have played under Warne'? 😄

Edited by RoyMac5

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Do you think Kinkladze would have been played by Warne? I nearly started a thread a few days ago entitled 'Players who wouldn't have played under Warne'? 😄

If Kinky was played by Warne, as soon as we went behind he would have the same neck pains he had most of the time under Smith and Gregory from watching the ball hurtle 5 miles above his head on its way to the opposition defenders.

27 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

I disagree in some ways. I don’t buy this plan b malarkey. If Plan A is good enough then it only needs tweaking, no top teams ever completely change to plan B.

Today was a game of 2 halves. We were great first half but created little. They were the opposite and buried us 2nd half. Our midfield was poor. No bite, overran. Warne didn’t react. Bringing Collins on when our midfield was over ran made little sense. Sibley should’ve been the first sub. A midfield of Bird, White, Hourihane is too lightweight. 
Massive struggle for the playoffs. Time to step up Derby! 

Fine margins.....

Thought we we good first half apart from overhit/badly placed crosses resulting in few chances.

Their goalie makes a great save from White, Wildsmith could've done better with both of their goals (but kept us in it at 1-0).

Live, I thought White dived. Just seen replays on highlights and it's a defo pen. 

1-1 with a momentum shift for us and we could have been in Port Vale territory.

The worst thing about this afternoon was how predictable it was (yes, I did get the pre-match prediction right)

It's common knowledge how ineffective we are against the better sides in this division. Its also no secret that when the opposition overload the midfield areas, we have absolutely no answer & this is precisely what happened in the second half today. Peterborough gave our midfield 3 plenty of space first half & all three were prominent but frustratingly, very few chances created. Just like Plymouth away, their manager then tweaks his formation to crowd us out in midfield & up the intensity and we then lose our foothold in the game & eventually lose. Barnsley & Fleetwood didn't even bother to give 45 mins grace, they just went at us from minute one & again, no answer.

All we really needed today was a point - a win would have been fantastic but it was essential we did not lose. After the first half, it was apparent that a) they had to change it, b) we probably had missed the boat by failing to punish them first half & c) as an ageing squad, we would be struggling for gas the longer the game went on. They then come out of the blocks firing but there was no tactical tweak from our side to combat this, we just let their midfield numbers take control & tried to trade blows as the tide went against us.

What could Warne have done? Well, he had Jake Rooney on the bench who could've sat in front of the back 4 to shore up our midfield & allow our full backs to push on to match their 3-4-2-1 when out of possession. Or at RB with Smith moving centrally (I don't see Rooney as a RB personally). It would have meant sacrificing an attacking player but frankly, entertainment was secondary to strangling the game & securing a point. Warne could also have looked at removing McGoldrick who struggled all game & put on Collins - a forward much more suited to chasing lost causes & pressurising defenders.

I accept the limitations of the squad & the restrictions of the business plan. but Warne's lack of pragmatism & ability to react effectively to opposition changes is starting to irritate. As things stand, we're struggling to finish top 6 but even if we do manage it, I would rate our chances in the playoffs as low. I don't doubt Warne will have players more suited to his style next season but I will never accept this season was a 'free hit' - given where we are now, it is an opportunity & it's about time some flexibility was introduced to squeeze results in important games. None of us want to stay in this division longer than necessary.

Honorary mention for today - thought Hayden Roberts was excellent all game. Offered real impetus going forward & in midfield areas. Should be starting LB until the season end.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

Results aren’t going well so people are looking for someone to blame. Naturally the manager is going to get it, it’s always the most obvious target. We question his tactics, the same tactics we won 6 in a row with and while drawing with Wednesday putting up a performance that on another day would’ve beaten them. We question his in game tactical changes, Peterborough changed and started controlling the game why didn’t Warne react? React with what? What formation and what personnel changes could’ve changed what happened in the second half? A rapid powerful centre forward of the bench maybe? We have a 33 year old target man to replace or play with a 35 year old. We’ve played all season without a right back, with one natural centre back two ageing centre forwards, taking Knight out of squad today then leaves us with minimal midfield options. It’s looking like the season is taking its toll on some players now sadly, but seriously what did people expect?

At some point the excuse of only having 5 players into a short preseason and nearly not having a club will no longer be valid, but it is absolutely 100% valid this season. We’ve done well to be where we are and hopefully we can get in the playoffs (we still have a great chance of this btw) and then anyone has a chance in the playoffs. But most people thought this would take 2 years. We are not one of the three best teams in this league.

As for today, excellent first half but we lacked belief in the final third and it cost us massively. They score on a counter attack with first shot of the game - white pressed well won the ball but Bird and Hourihane were too slow backing him up allowing them to pick us off and hit us on the counter. Poor defending and keeping for second I think although Sun was in my eyes. Looked a pen on White and he was unlucky not to score. Bird and Hourihane who were outstanding first half were chasing shadows in the second. Cash and Foz struggled second half, Dobbin’s end product continues to frustrate, Mendez going off the boil and think he got a kick as well. Players to emerge with credit in my view are White who was excellent, Roberts and I thought both Sibs and Collo did well coming off the bench.

We can question team selection and subs and tactics. Thought Warne got it right with how we played first half, we didn’t have the belief to get the goal, we then concede and didn’t have enough to get back in it with players who are running out of steam and a lack of sub options which are all much of a muchness. 

We need to start winning at home, we do that and pick up one win on the road that should be enough.

4 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

What could Warne have done? Well, he had Jake Rooney on the bench who could've sat in front of the back 4 to shore up our midfield & allow our full backs to push on to match their 3-4-2-1 when out of possession. Or at RB with Smith moving centrally (I don't see Rooney as a RB personally). 

IMO This I think is the only criticism that could be levelled at Warne in that he doesn’t trust the youngsters. Catch 22 he wants as much experience as possible and I get that but the younger lads can give in energy and in Rooney in particular, there is someone who would impact any game. I scratch my head why he doesn’t start every game, and I think he’s a holding midfielder not a RB, with our issues at CB recently he could do a job there. I also think Liam Thompson was looking good in the games where he came on and in the Barnsley FA Cup game he was excellent, he would’ve been a good option to try and regain control in the midfield today.