V Shrewsbury Town (H) 4th March 15.00

Boycie

Frustrating is the best way to describe yesterdays game. Frustrating that we didn't take some of the easier chances in that first half and put the game out of sight. 

Frustrating that Fozzy spoilt his big day by having one of his brain fart moments. He deserved to have a faultless display after the way he's performed overall this season. He's forgiven and it's forgotten for me.

Frustrated we had another ref that wanted to be centre of attention. How many times did he stop us taking a quick free kick? Then he proceeded to let us take the free kick from the same place. ?

Frustrated that yet another team comes to Pride Park with their main objective being to time waste. Says it all when you have a man booked for time wasting when you're losing. Anyone else notice their player move the ball the whole of 6 inches several times whilst Hourihane waited to take a free kick in the 2nd half? A booking surely referee?

Frustrated we gave away a soft penalty. Looked like their player had no chance of reaching the ball anyway. Don't give the ref a decision to make should be the lesson learnt.

Amongst all that frustration,however, there were plenty of positives. Smith excellent at centre mid. Rooney, penalty aside was pretty solid for me, especially first half. Roberts solid again too. Dobbin a menace at times too, incredibly unlucky with his header. Just needs a bit more composure and confidence when shooting opportunities present themselves to him. 

7 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

It’s not an EFL conspiracy. It’s not. It’s not. Grow up. It’s the midfield. When we lose the midfield, we’re on the back foot. They packed the midfield and we didn’t respond.  Lose a winger and gain control of the middle ffs. 

Or its both. Crewton points out how the ref applied the rules of the game differently to each side, especially in the second half. This is not a new phenomenon - it has been happening all season bar about 3 matches, and it has been a consistent match day feature ever since the EFL started to squeeze the trigger.

If the match officials only made occasional errors during a match, affecting both sides equally then you might have a point. I know we are all biased as possible, but they son’t inly make occasional mistakes, and they don’t affect the teams evenly. And this has been going on week in, week out, week in, week out for over 4 years now. 

There is nothing we can do about it. - Rick Parry and his cronies have been supplied with mountains of evidence of what us happening, and all he does is send out a patronising, condescending letter telling ys thst match officials are trained to the highest standards and all perform well. ?

All we can do is go out and try and beat the opposition whether their team has 11, 12, 13 or 14 players.

11 hours ago, The Last Post said:

Not read the thread so here I go, I don't think I've been so wound up by a result for years, We were out of site in the 1st half, Shrewsbury couldn't handle our width and ball play, In the 1st 7 mins we could and should have been 1-0 up, Dobins cross into the box and McGoldrick's missed queued header, But we went in 2-0, Easy aint it, Just keep the ball 2nd half and alls good.

No, Forsyth thinks he's Beckenbauer gives the ball away on the half way line, Chases back, Brings player down, Gets booked, Free kick...goal, Nerves are now on edge including mine, Shrewsbury are now back in the game...WTF, Penalty which I missed(toilet break)and 2-2.

We still had enough chances...half chances to win the game, Best one falling to Dobin, He hit the target that's all we ask, But keeper pulls out a good save.

It's a point, But feels like a loss, Shrewsbury think it's a win, There's no point in having a pop at the officials, PW is not at fault, Players who make simple mistakes and get punished are to blame, It happens world wide, It happens to great players, It happens to those who play Sunday football.

Frustrating aint the word for me...we gave Shrewsbury that point...end of?

One final point got the bus back home, I could have got the bus to the game...but wasn't aware Grampian Way had reopened...happy days...well nearly ?

That’s pretty much it.  A draw was probably a fair result.  We were far better in the first half, they made a tactical tweak and a couple of subs at half time and were better in the second half.  Plus a couple of errors that were punished.  Another day, they’re not.  I do think the rev was poor 2nd half though.

This is the thing with runs of form though.  Go 15/16 unbeaten and for some supporters Warne’s a legend and we’ll get automatic promotion.  Have a bit of a sticky patch when it’s win one, lose on and draw one and, again for some supporters, Warne’s clueless and we’ll be lucky to get in the playoffs.  If these results were spread over 20 - 25 games no-one would bat an eyelid.

I only saw the second half unfortunately but Shrewsbury looked a decent side, not that it makes the result any easier to take after what sounds like an excellent first half display.

Can we please stop suggesting that referees and their assistants are part of an EFL plot to hamper DCFC? It's beyond embarrassing.

3 minutes ago, Rampant said:

I only saw the second half unfortunately but Shrewsbury looked a decent side, not that it makes the result any easier to take after what sounds like an excellent first half display.

Can we please stop suggesting that referees and their assistants are part of an EFL plot to hamper DCFC? It's beyond embarrassing.

So only seeing the second half you didnt see the change in the ref after half time?   As detailed perfectly in @DavesaRamas usual excellent match summary? I used to think the same until we got season tickets post covid again this year!
It probably is just incompetence and seasoned league 1 or lower level teams know how to to play the system against such rubbish officials more but incompetence would generally be consistent during a game

Re comments about Didzy's booking:
The ref went to blow immediately... and with some vigour!  It was a clear yellow card offence... but he just managed to hold back as he realised there was an advantage to play.
He double checked who the perp was, and kept his eye on where Didzy was for the first few seconds.  I'm pretty certain there was also a gesture to let Didzy know what was coming.

I then commented to the guy in front that he'll get booked once the ball goes dead.  It was all so obvious.

It then transpired that the ball stayed alive for a good long while, despite both keepers having the ball in their hands during this play, so he waited... and waited... and waited... as he should.

The ref didn't forget.  And there was no surprise or complaint from Didzy when it came... he knew it was coming. 

Ref got it all spot on, imo.

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Think the ref may have forgotten about Didzie’s yellow and needed to be reminded. 

No complaints about the ‘penalty incidents’. Not enough in the push against Dobbin. And his touch was heavy, his run predictable. Don’t think even he complained. Rooney’s was a clear foul. We should stop whingeing about this stuff 

The ref was actually correct (for once) with McGoldrick's booking, following the foul, he played advantage for Shrewsbury and he could only book him once the ball went out of play which did not happen for several minutes. 

57 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Or its both. Crewton points out how the ref applied the rules of the game differently to each side, especially in the second half. This is not a new phenomenon - it has been happening all season bar about 3 matches, and it has been a consistent match day feature ever since the EFL started to squeeze the trigger.

If the match officials only made occasional errors during a match, affecting both sides equally then you might have a point. I know we are all biased as possible, but they son’t inly make occasional mistakes, and they don’t affect the teams evenly. And this has been going on week in, week out, week in, week out for over 4 years now. 

There is nothing we can do about it. - Rick Parry and his cronies have been supplied with mountains of evidence of what us happening, and all he does is send out a patronising, condescending letter telling ys thst match officials are trained to the highest standards and all perform well. ?

All we can do is go out and try and beat the opposition whether their team has 11, 12, 13 or 14 players.

Has it never crossed your mind that it only takes one referee / lino / efl person to not be corrupt and to whistleblow and bring the whole anti-Derby thing crashing down? 

For your conspiracy to be true every single official and efl employee has to be corrupt and just go along with it.  Its totally ridiculous. 

10 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Anyone who is worried by current form, think back to the magic 80.

Wycombe need 26 points, Shrewsbury need 28 points, Peterborough and Portsmouth need 29 points. It’s a minimum of two points per game across 12-13 games and 7-8 wins minimum. If any of the four are to overtake us, it will require something special.

We have to forget about the top two. I can understand the frustration because we have wobbled at a time when we needed to apply some pressure.

If we’re honest, it was never really on. Sheff Wed are breaking records and Plymouth have set the pace since very early on. We had to be absolutely relentless. That was never really likely with a squad of 21-22, the majority of whom have played 30-40 games with a possible 15 more to go.

We’re at a stage now where we need to hold our nerve. It‘s that simple. We have 12 games to go and need six wins to guarantee a play off place, possibly fewer if the chasing pack stutter.

We’re having a wobble. There’s no getting away from that. But prior to that we had won six in a row and had gone 15 games unbeaten. You have to take the rough with the smooth and realise the standard we had set was an unsustainable one. Under normal circumstances, we would have added 3-4 more to the squad and avoided any hiccups.

March going into April will probably be our toughest run of games all season. Three away games in five and Plymouth, Ipswich and Peterborough all to play. Brace yourselves because we have to be prepared for a bit more suffering.

Ultimately though I don’t think now is the time to dig out Warne or the players. Fair enough if we end up in 7th or fair enough if we ship 3 to Ipswich or Barnsley and don’t do ourselves justice in the play-offs.

But as it is, the manager and players are giving everything in difficult circumstances. I wish it was more straightforward but the end goal is still very much in our hands and the team will need our support to get over the line.

Good post and I gave you a like. When you put it like that, it’s a whole lot more comforting. However, in the interests of balance and to keep our feet on the ground, if, on Tuesday, we lose at Plymouth (quite possible) and Wycombe win at home against Fleetwood (more than probable) they are only 4 points behind but with a game in hand. Obviously if they win that game in hand then the gap is a very uncomfortable 1 point.

Six more wins sounds like enough but we’ll need to win probably at least a couple away from home. I know managers don’t do it (or say they don’t, they quite rightly would say they target every game for a win), but we probably need to be targeting home wins against Fleetwood, Forest Green and Burton (Ipswich and Portsmouth will be tough) and Oxford, Forest Green and Bristol or Exeter away. Wycombe would then need to win 8. They have 5 relative easy home games so they’ll need to pick up 3 on the road (Burton, Morecambe and Cambridge?). 

The next two weeks will be interesting as Wycombe play their game in hand the week after next. If things done go well I rather fear a very nervous last day when we play at Wednesday and Wycombe play at Portsmouth. Strong opposition for both of us but neither are likely to have anything to play for by then.

I’ll keep the faith and, as you say, now is not the time to start slagging off either PW or the players. 

6 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Has it never crossed your mind that it only takes one referee / lino / efl person to not be corrupt and to whistleblow and bring the whole anti-Derby thing crashing down? 

For your conspiracy to be true every single official and efl employee has to be corrupt and just go along with it.  Its totally ridiculous. 

And pathetic. 

7 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

For your conspiracy to be true every single official and efl employee has to be corrupt and just go along with it.   

That's a very good point.

This is much worse than I first thought!  ?

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

But as it is we’ve lost four times in 25 league games and yet the manager is not convincing you? I wonder if he’s simply fighting a losing battle.

OK, lets apply some context to that particular stat.

The reality is Derby are flat track bullies under Warne - we fill our boots against the minnows of this division by utilising quality players that 20 other clubs in this division could only dream of fielding but when we play anyone in the top half, our record is particularly poor. Remember we're not talking exclusively top 6 sides with these massive squads that you seem to believe Warne is bravely competing against but also includes the llkes of Lincoln, Exeter & Shrewsbury, all non-league sides in recent memory.

The situation after 25 league games under Warne is as follows;

image.png.44398300e8aa04347ebc030157b9d6dd.png

Even if you accept that you're more likely to get better results against lesser sides than better sides, that is a staggering mismatch & highlights that Warne's record is embellished by the paucity of opposition he has faced as manager. It also does not bode well for the playoffs, should we make them.

The record against top half sides suggests that Warne is struggling to engineer results against better organised & well resourced teams - this is where tactical nous & proper use of his squad is essential. There is much discussion about the squad but the reality is Curtis Davies, Sibley (in his right position), Liam Thompson, Jake Rooney (until yesterday) & Tony Springett are not being used to any extent at all - this makes no sense given the style of play & energy levels needed to employ that style. I don't accept these players are a significant step down in quality from the first XI.

Warne has a very functional & predictable style of play where he is heavily reliant on the individual parts of his team rather than the sum being greater than the parts - that is going to come unstuck against better teams & is borne out by both the results so far this season & his record with Rotherham in the Championship. To return to your quote, that is why some of us have significant reservations about him.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

45 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Re comments about Didzy's booking:
The ref went to blow immediately... and with some vigour!  It was a clear yellow card offence... but he just managed to hold back as he realised there was an advantage to play.
He double checked who the perp was, and kept his eye on where Didzy was for the first few seconds.  I'm pretty certain there was also a gesture to let Didzy know what was coming.

I then commented to the guy in front that he'll get booked once the ball goes dead.  It was all so obvious.

It then transpired that the ball stayed alive for a good long while, despite both keepers having the ball in their hands during this play, so he waited... and waited... and waited... as he should.

The ref didn't forget.  And there was no surprise or complaint from Didzy when it came... he knew it was coming. 

Ref got it all spot on, imo.

Haven't read the full thread

..but there are actually people who think the ref didn't do the right thing there? 

5 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

OK, lets apply some context to that particular stat.

The reality is Derby are flat track bullies under Warne - we fill our boots against the minnows of this division by utilising quality players that 20 other clubs in this division could only dream of fielding but when we play anyone in the top half, our record is particularly poor. Remember we're not talking exclusively top 6 sides with these massive squads that you seem to believe Warne is bravely competing against but also includes the llkes of Lincoln, Exeter & Shrewsbury, all non-league sides in recent memory.

The situation after 25 league games under Warne is as follows;

image.png.44398300e8aa04347ebc030157b9d6dd.png

Even if you accept that you're more likely to get better results against lesser sides than better sides, that is a staggering mismatch & highlights that Warne's record is embellished by the paucity of opposition he has faced as manager. It also does not bode well for the playoffs, should we make them.

The record against top half sides suggests that Warne is struggling to engineer results against better organised & well resourced teams - this is where tactical nous & proper use of his squad is essential. There is much discussion about the squad but the reality is Curtis Davies, Sibley (in his right position), Liam Thompson & Tony Springett are not being used to any extent at all - this makes no sense given the style of play & energy levels needed to employ that style. I don't accept these players are a significant step down in quality from the first XI.

Warne has a very functional & predictable style of play where he is heavily reliant on the individual parts of his team rather than the sum being greater than the parts - that is going to come unstuck against better teams & is borne out by both the results so far this season & his record with Rotherham in the Championship. To return to your quote, that is why some of us have significant reservations about him.

You’ll change your tune after we win at Plymouth on Tuesday ?

I know, I shouldn’t be drinking this early in the day. ???

9 hours ago, Rich84 said:

This for me, could clearly see they changed at half time and we didn't react, it also became apparent that they targeted our left side as weak,

This is not a dig at you Rich, We didn't have to react, Why would we we were just crossing the line in a marathon and Shrewsbury were still halfway round, 2 mistakes by us led to 2 goals, Forsyth said he should have put his boot through the ball and Rooney clearly pushed their player for the Penalty, Wildsmith made a good save from a corner...all events from set pieces.

Cotterill said in his interview...we were the better team in the 2nd half, If Derby were to have scored in the 10mins of added time it would have been unjust.

Only ourselves to blame for the result.

8 hours ago, Crewton said:

It's ironic though that you say Rooney's push was a "clear foul" but the one on Dobbin wasn't

Not what I said but I didn’t say what I mean. Technically the push on Dobbin was a foul. It was a foul that would very rarely be given outside the box and, rightly, would almost never be given in the box, because it’d be too soft a penalty. If rough and tumble like that in the box was penalised there would be four penalty offences  each time there is a corner. So on average 15 penalties per game