Torquay v Derby (A) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

9 minutes ago, jono said:

And if we’d had a penalty when Dobbin was pushed (pretty similar deals) it would have been a different game. Meh ! We didn’t lose, we played for a big chunk with 10 men. I’m just sucking this one up. It was a cup tie. It happens The only pain is Cashin suspended, he’s such a key player and our paper thin squad having to play another game. 

Torquay stuck their chests out, fought and with a a bit of Cup good luck earned the draw. I am still trying to remember sometime in the last 5 years where we got our fair share of “wins” from refereeing decisions but that’s a feeble excuse. Just hope we don’t get pasted at Anfield (or any injuries cards and general spanner’s in the works) 

I think on the whole the ref was very good today ?

8 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Was never a red. Ever. Lino and ref didn't have a clue what was going on and lost control at that point

Isn’t this why it was a red - Cashin not playing the ball

In 2016 the Laws of the Game were amended so that a professional foul resulting in a penalty kick would only result in a yellow card, providing that the player was making a genuine attempt for the ball.

Not out the question that Sibley could have had one as well 

40 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Warne hasnt got a record of success in league 1????

And this squad were even more s*** under Rosenior,a man who no record of success at all....and,let's not forget,were getting steadily worse prior to him being replaced.

And yet a club in the league above us have given LR a job and he’s got a point away at Millwall in his first game while we have drawn with a non league team rock bottom of their league. Yeah Rosenior is s*** compared to Warne…

6 minutes ago, Jayram said:

And yet a club in the league above us have given LR a job and he’s got a point away at Millwall in his first game while we have drawn with a non league team rock bottom of their league. Yeah Rosenior is s*** compared to Warne…

Correct!

And warne was managing a club above Millwall in the championship to drop down a league to try and sort this s*** show of a side out!

Which is going to take some time.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

58 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Some of our fans on twitter having a go at Warne are absolutely ridiculous.

No team would get relegated from the Championship, come back for pre season with 5 players and get anywhere near to promotion from League One. The fact we're 7th is a miracle in itself.

We don't have a right back, we have 2 wingers (Ones injured) the squad at full strength is unbelievably short. Take 5 regulars out and we're threadbare.

The game management today after going down to 10 men was so poor. But these players make such poor decisions at times, going directly against what they've been told to do.

All Warne can do is work with what we've got, which isn't a lot. Get through this month, get some of the injured players back and get to January.

We need at the very least a right back, a midfield enforcer and a winger. But I think we'll get more than that.

Clowes said himself that there will be a period of consolidation.

Exactly,well said ! We're lucky to still have a club and ,due to our circumstances,had to bring in several players at the tail end of their careers and young inexperienced loanees,Under Rosenior we played a lot of possession football with not a lot of end product.Where are the critics now who were saying we were too slow and easy to play against? Now,under Warne an energetic full on approach has resulted in several of the older players suffering a variety of pulls,strains and other niggling injuries.Warne has  highlighted the lack of players in their mid 20s and is looking to address this in the next 2/3 windows.

We're still 7th and but for errors by Davies away to Ipswich and Cashin ( again) in the last minute of the home game with Plymouth we'd be in the top 6 with a game in hand.Funny how a manager has to shoulder the blame when his better players make silly blunders!

Cloughie and Fergie had similar starts at Derby and Utd respectively and ,if forums and Facebook existed I suspect they'd not have survived the "experts" views! ? Give Warne time to bring in his own players and instil his methods (he's only had 10 games)and then let's see where we are.We seem to have gone from gratitude we're still in existence to complaining that we're not serious promotion contenders.Grow up,it takes time 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

He was offside, a yard into their half.

So

why weren’t Torquay given a free-kick for offside? The ref brought play back for a free-kick to Derby in our own half.

It’s actually irrelevant. We cost us the match.

But at least for the 4th season running we are in with a shout of winning the “Most penalties not awarded” cup.

9 minutes ago, Jayram said:

If you are trying a draw a comparison based on a single game for each manager then you are clearly deluded.

I’ll not judge Warne until the end of the season (unless things really go pear shaped) and even then we’ll never know if LR would have done better with the players at his disposal.

Just got back from the match, typical cup game, and i enjoyed the experience, sat next to B4 and his dad (really nice people) was a pleasure, found B4 very vocal, especially when a Derby fan sat behind wouldn't stop moaning, lol. 

We have to realise at the moment, that the majority of our team are players released from their clubs, we will not be world beaters, we are at the beginning of a long journey, But, at least we still have a club 

1 hour ago, Magicman said:

Derby given away 6 penalties in 8 games ! Dobbin has 15  chances this season still can't score ! Stats you can't excuse at pro level .

As I have already said, we have given away 2 penalties. The other 4 have been given away by the match officials, and each one has had a pretty pink ribbon bow on the top.

19 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Isn’t this why it was a red - Cashin not playing the ball

In 2016 the Laws of the Game were amended so that a professional foul resulting in a penalty kick would only result in a yellow card, providing that the player was making a genuine attempt for the ball.

Not out the question that Sibley could have had one as well 

There are 2 requirements for a red, not a serious attempt to play the ball and stopping a clear goalscoring opportunity. The first is a given, the second less so, especially when the ref appears not to have known what was going on. Having said that several minor decisions didn't go our way either, like when Collins lept cleanly for the ball, only for the Torquay player to back under him and when their player headed the ball out for a corner when there wasn't a Derby player within yards of him, nevermind the blatant push on Dobbin, none of these decisions went our way.

24 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I know there is a good chance we have our lowest ever finish on the football pyramid, so the question is do you know our history? 

And there’s also a good chance we won’t.
We drew an FA Cup game today with ten men, in poor conditions, against a lower league side who have upped their game. We’re just outside the play offs in the league table currently with players to return from injury and the chance to strengthen in January. There are 30 games left to play in the league. 
I understand people being disappointed with us not beating “lower opposition” today, what I don’t get is people ignoring the mitigation, not taking a balanced view, and more importantly acting as if the season is already over.
We’re missing key players, the squad is stretched thin, yes we could be doing better and we could also be doing far far worse. Today is done, onto the next one, and the one after that. Sport is full of ups and downs,  there’s no need to be so down on the whole situation in my view ??‍♂️ 

What a poor second half.

We we’re cruising until Cashin grabbed that lads shirt.

I think that 2nd half will be the precursor for a few departures in Jan, or the summer. We might see some surprising players depart especially from the midfield, which is pretty dysfunctional.

We’ve added another game and another suspension that we really didn’t need. 

The sudden lack of discipline is a big concern and has to be addressed.

One to the next cup game, we really need to save our squad for the league!