Is this forum now counter-productive?

Half fan

During the anguish abour the survival of DCFC, the content of this forum was fantastic - a tribute to the club's traditions and the fanbase.

I doubt the Samaritans could have done a better job in comforting the many loyal fans deeply anguished by events and the possible liquidation of one of the beating hearts of the Derby and Derbyshire community.

This forum also created and published many calls to action nationally and locally which attracted so many favourable headlines and must have played their part in the eventual rescue of the Club.

Our national prestige soared, generated a lot of national sympathy and support, and led to tremendous gates and match support even when we lost.

However, since LR was replaced by PW, I wonder if I am alone in noticing a downward spiral in the objectives and quality of some contributions. Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions, but do we not need to temper the expression of them by considering the effect on the DCFC owner, staff and players who are becoming the target of some vitriol?

Some of us seem to forget our debt to our new owner. And seem to forget the laborious keep-ball of LR which we had endured for more than the current season and which had led to so many away defeats and the inability even to score a goal for match after match.

This forgetfulness is accompanied by totally unrealistic expectations of what the new owner and manager should achieve. And ignorance of just how effective League 1 opposition can be when pumped up by the adrenalin of facing the high and not so mighty DCFC.

It is sadly well known that social media can inflict a lot of harm on its targets. For the sake of our Club and those on its payroll and the person who bankrolls our payroll, may I plead for some moderation and realism please?

10 minutes ago, Half fan said:

It is sadly well known that social media can inflict a lot of harm on its targets. For the sake of our Club and those on its payroll and the person who bankrolls our payroll, may I plead for some moderation and realism please?

One man's realism is another man's delusion.

#COYR

The forum is getting back towards normal.

Mixed quality wrist slashing vibes mixed with occasional delusion is kind 9f what it's always been.

Whenever we have a manager who is focused on technical possession the forum is flooded with crys for strong man hard work tough direct proper football manager and whenever we have a manager who demands hard work and has a more direct approach the forum is flooded with crys of terrible football, awful to watch etc.

The cat meowing for the door to be opened only to refuse to actually walk through it.

I love you guys.

Our owner is a fan, just like us. No doubt he has spent evenings walking away from PP frustrated and questioning decisions of all involved in the match. However, he seems to have a steady head on his shoulders, so hopefully doesn’t make any rash decisions based on emotion.

As fans who are not the owner of the club, we can be allowed to vent the emotions and frustration. Last night was poor, and that falls at the managers door as well as the players. There are many reasons and excuses, which is fine, but fans are also allowed to vent their feelings. This forum is good for that. As others have said, the forum has seen plenty of good posts over the years, along with some dross (which many including me have contributed to)

Not sure how the forum can be seen as counter productive, at the end of the day it's just a bunch of fans opinions. It's no worse or better on other social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook.

The novelty factor was always going to wear off as frustration crept in, the we're just happy to have a club feeling was never going to last forever and we're now back to the we're Derby County, we should be beating teams like Exeter.

I have to be honest, I'm enjoying reading the football arguments over what is happening on the pitch, not off the pitch with finances and football laws. This is what football should be about. 

Basically just a thread created to have a thinly veiled pop at Rosenior and anyone who was supportive of what he was trying to achieve, disguised as a thread about the quality of the forum. But please don't say anything negative about anyone else.

Laughable. Blatant.

May I plead for some moderation and realism please?

13 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Basically just a thread created to have a thinly veiled pop at Rosenior and anyone who was supportive of what he was trying to achieve, disguised as a thread about the quality of the forum. But please don't say anything negative about anyone else.

Laughable. Blatant.

May I plead for some moderation and realism please?

I think you have gone too far the other way there brother.

But that's forums for you...and in fact it's the way opinions are in the UK in general.

Everything is to extremes.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

37 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think you have gone too far the other way there brother.

But that's forums for you...and in fact it's the way opinions are in the UK in general.

Everything is to extremes.

I'm not really sure how I've 'gone' anywhere tbh, pretty sure I'm just calling a spade a spade.

You can't call for people to 'temper the expression of (their opinions)' and ask for moderation and realism, whilst at the same spinning a one-sided negative rhetoric that someone or something was laborious and something we had to endure. It's hypocritical and undermines the entire point.

Especially if you're going to attribute all of the negative results & performances of previous managers to their coaches / assistant, and use them as a stick to beat them with when they do actually take on the manager's role. It's never any of the positives being laid at their door is it?

I just find it amusing now tbh.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Mixed quality wrist slashing vibes mixed with occasional delusion is kind 9f what it's always been.

Whenever we have a manager who is focused on technical possession the forum is flooded with crys for strong man hard work tough direct proper football manager and whenever we have a manager who demands hard work and has a more direct approach the forum is flooded with crys of terrible football, awful to watch etc.

The cat meowing for the door to be opened only to refuse to actually walk through it.

I love you guys.

This. 100% all of this.

1 hour ago, David said:

Not sure how the forum can be seen as counter productive, at the end of the day it's just a bunch of fans opinions. It's no worse or better on other social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook.

The forum is much better than social media platforms. There are actually some good posts on here and often you can have a proper discussion about football. Twitter is a cesspit.

Some good arguments already in this thread, which in itself suggests the under-fire forum has to stay (or at least be given a few more threads to figure out how it's going to make the best of the posters it has until it can get some new ones in ?)

@Kokosnuss - I think you're right that, even if the original post isn't perhaps totally a dig at Rosenior as you suggest, nevertheless were everyone to agree with it we would be setting limits to how much one can criticise Warne/Clowes. A bit like Free Speech - we want it, but can everyone do justice to the responsibility of using it? (Maybe @Half fan feels that we can't. Fair enough, that's his opinion). Which would amount to censorship (lite) of a certain viewpoint. So the question must be more how they are criticised, not how much.

@kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong- I definitely agree that we tend to be drawn to extremes, and maybe not only in this country. Fortunately (I hope I'm right in saying) at least here we all agree we are united by one common factor! Interesting though if we have truly arrived at polarisation here with regards Rosenior and Warne. For me they have both had things outside of their control, both got some things right, both got some things wrong. Comparing them isn't entirely helpful as they were never truly in the same position and, ultimately, it's Warne in the hotseat. If he is ultimately determined to have succeeded, it probably will be gauged by more than just having outdone Rosenior in his short stewardship. He's unlikely to be judged a failure by that yardstick either (unless his reign is about to come to a very sudden end!)

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I love you guys.

Brilliant ! Great post .. I for one don’t want sideways and backwards with 70% possession, but I do want ball on the floor rather than head tennis. I’m going with the flow. Right behind PW, not because I am deluded or have enjoyed our last couple of games but because I am patient as long as we aren’t flirting with relegation. That and seeing a few goals. You watch. Good win on Saturday and all will be well (until the next time ?)

2 hours ago, Half fan said:

....It is sadly well known that social media can inflict a lot of harm on its targets....

I have a simple solution to that - I have determined that anyone who has a different opinion to me is a bell-end - consequently there are an awful lot of bell-ends.....(both on here and particularly elsewhere.....)

This is the place where we discuss our opinions.

Unless Paul Warne is wasting his time trawling through the forum, what we say here has absolutely nothing to do with his job whatsoever.

We can basically say what we like about him, in fact. He'll never find out.

Paul Warne's breath smells like monster munch. Pass it on.

4 minutes ago, Duracell said:

This is the place where we discuss our opinions.

Unless Paul Warne is wasting his time trawling through the forum, what we say here has absolutely nothing to do with his job whatsoever.

We can basically say what we like about him, in fact. He'll never find out.

Paul Warne's breath smells like monster munch. Pass it on.

You're probably right but on the evidence of what he's said in interviews over the last month or so, if there were ever a DCFC manager who would read this forum, it's Paul Warne.

Last chance to withdraw your monster munch slur!

2 hours ago, Half fan said:

And seem to forget the laborious keep-ball of LR which we had endured for more than the current season and which had led to so many away defeats and the inability even to score a goal for match after match.

This forgetfulness is accompanied by totally unrealistic expectations of what the new owner and manager should achieve. And ignorance of just how effective League 1 opposition can be when pumped up by the adrenalin of facing the high and not so mighty DCFC.

So, we can be critical of Rosenior because you didn’t like his style of football (while also ignoring the unrealistic expectations of what a new owner and manager should achieve and ignorance of just how effective League 1 opposition can be when pumped up by the adrenaline of playing the mighty DCFC)?