Derby County v Exeter City Tuesday 25 October

Gritstone Ram

Really poor officials once again!!

If all players had put as much effort in as Roberts (you could also argue NML at times), then we may have got somewhere tonight …

Too lightweight and not enough pace.

Basic Errors - with reference to when we were breaking down the right wing in second half and just dribbled the ball out of play!

On the plus side - we kept a clean sheet, didn’t concede a penalty and Colin’s is back Saturday!

14 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I think the issue that a lot of folks are overlooking is that this group of players ain't nearly as good as they think they are. 

Wildsmith and Cashin have done well, Collins has done ok when he remembers he's playing football not WWE, Bird and Sibley continue to flatter to deceive and so on.

Our central midfield is utter gash no matter what way you cut it but that's the way things have landed for Warne. 

We don't have proper full backs after the 2 snakes left so again Warne has to deal with that, paying Barkhuizen and NML at wingback is out of necessity cos we don't have decent fullbacks and so on. Our squad is poo. Not Warnes fault. 

We have a very good attacking fullback in fozzy.

15 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Regretting the change? Diabolical? Pathetic? Rubbish? Going backwards? Attendances down to 12,000?

The arbiters of style strike again! It really is so dramatic!

Two wins, a draw and two defeats is really not the disaster people suggest it is. It really isn’t given injuries and suspensions are starting to bite. Don’t forget how small the squad is that we have.

It is a case of teething problems under a new manager, not a genuine crisis as many would have you believe.

The way some are carrying on you would think we had lost 5 league games in a row.

Our home form hasn’t been dominant all season. We’ve had good spells but the games have been fairly even, open and teams have been able to frustrate us for large spells.

We needed late goals v Oxford, Peterborough and Wycombe and held off a Barnsley comeback. That earned us 9 extra points over four games where we might have had to settle for 3-4 points otherwise.

Our away form has been poor in terms of results and taking advantage of our better spells. With Warne, there has been some correction there with two wins from three.

No-one is happy to drop 5 points from two winnable home games. No-one is happy to watch a poor standard of football.

But maybe calm is needed? It seems to me results, luck and so on, they are simply levelling out as things do.

Improvement is needed, of course. We can do better. Warne will again learn a lot from tonight. Perhaps we can forgive five games of fact finding if things soon come together?

But the idea that we would have won 4 from 5 under Rosenior and things would have been so much better seems misguided and something I just can’t buy.

Absolutely nailed it! 

9 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Fans want to see good football, they want to see goals, they want to see wins, they want to see their team climb the table. If any of that ain't happening, they will moan, get disinetrested, stop going to games, not renew their season ticket and then the CEO, owner David Clowes and directors will smell the coffee and sack the bloke regardless of his 4 year contract. You heard it here first, this Hoofball football Warne will not complete 4 years with the club.

That's like saying the stockmarket will crash, you heard it here first.

Of course it will crash, about every 1 year out of 5, but the other 4 years it outstrips the losses it made when it bombed. 

Nostradamus has got nowt on you. 

Well that was pretty horrible as a supposed game of football. I thought we were trying to play at times but the execution was slow and disjointed. I’m sure (hope) it will improve but we are demonstrating that what we have at the moment are a load of players come on a free and some promising but fallible youngsters. What is noticeable is a drop in quality on the ball following the managerial change but it is early days.

Also It is hard to play against a team who for most of the second half just wanted to play with the ball off the pitch! I left feeling that bad as it was at least I wasn’t a Exeter City supporter having travelled 5 hours to watch those time waisting tactics and now facing the trek back! Still they seemed inordinately happy with their point!

30 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We were 7th with less games played. 7th early in the season means nothing and you well know it. We'd likely, in my opinion, be in almost exactly the same position either way around. Warne's plan is also being poorly executed. That's part of the task. You excuse Rosenior in the same way you'd damn Warne. You are biased.

We aren't in the bottom half. We have a game in hand, notice how you used that as a plus for Rosenior earlier and not for Warne now, again, bias. It isn't aimless hoofball. We are trying to move the ball with more directness and pace. We aren't just hoofing it. 

People see what they want to see, but you lack any objectivity here at all. It is very little difference from Rosenior now, and Warne hasn't brought any of his own players in. 

Not at all. I wasn’t sad to see Rosenior leave and was initially optimistic having heard Warnes interviews that he could be good. There’s no bias. I’ve just got eyes and I can see that the stats say that we were having more shots, more shots on target and higher XG before Warne came in… 

1 minute ago, Kokosnuss said:

OK?

We've clearly got off on the wrong foot.

You misunderstood my response to plymouth ram's response to an early post of mine that he himself misundestood! A comedy of error and misreading.

In fact I sought some semblance of understanding (different thread) regarding your differences with plymouth ram but that’s another story, or so I had thought.

I definitely do not share the view that Warne was an obvious disaster playing out in horrific slow motion, though I’ll admit that was plenty of horrific slow motion on display at times this evening.

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just out of interest whom are our full backs do we actually have any?

As Knight isn't really a fullback, Forsyth is really knocking on now, who else have we got?

We had to rush numbers in the door in the summer just to get a starting 11 together and now people with short memories are saying we should be getting promotion straight away it's ridiculous. 

And Warne has inherited all of this unless he was sending subliminal messages to Rosenoir in the summer ordering him to sign all of the players he now has. 

Then I read on another thread that this is the worst football managerial appointment ever and he needs to go, it makes you want to vomit really. 

Forsyth even though he's getting on is still a solid option at this level. I believe Rosenior used roberts as an inverted full back on the right, and can be used on the left I believe,  used Knight (preferred him in midfield to give us dynamism but it was sufficient) not seen much of Odurah and Chester can play full back on the right too. I believe even Stearman could fill in on the right as a last resort. So it's not like we've got no full backs. What we don't have are wing backs so why on earth is he still playing a system that needs them.

I don't deny recruitment was a rush and I'm not demanding we storm the league either. Warne has inherited the players which is again one of the reasons I didn't want him. It's bizarre to bring in a manager whose style (whatever little i think of it) doesn't suit the players we do have. It's a backwards step. It's not the worst appointment ever but I do believe it was a mistake and that he won't get anywhere with us. 

The sad thing is it feels as if that togetherness of fans, staff and players is gone. Just listening to some exeter fans in hotel and we are going to be the away day fans want to go to and the scalp where they want a point or win. Our squad feels wafer thin with few injuries doesnt it. Going to be a long season

7 minutes ago, jameso said:

So… you’re saying he could get us to 4th in the Premier League?

There were plenty willing to persevere with Knight at RB because we had no one better, but even Rosenior shifted him to midfield for his final match in charge; I think the more pertinent issue though is that he’s rumoured to be out for a month, along with the others on the growing injury list!

I was referring to his stint at Burnley before he signed up to the murderous billionaire club.

4 minutes ago, jameso said:

In fact I sought some semblance of understanding (different thread) regarding your differences with plymouth ram but that’s another story, or so I had thought.

I definitely do not share the view that Warne was an obvious disaster playing out in horrific slow motion, though I’ll admit that was plenty of horrific slow motion on display at times this evening.

I was agreeing with Plymouth Ram, there aren't differences. I just identified that he posted while on a bit of a rant and had included my post as part of said rant, missing the tone of my post along the way... which was generally in agreeance with the point he was making!

Edited by Kokosnuss

Bird and Hourihane has to be as poor a midfield as you can get in this division. Both of them appear scared of putting a tackle in - an absolute dream to play against. The decline of Bird this season is mystifying. He has gone from controlling games to complete anonymity. Hourihane is stealing a living but at least he’s capable of banging one in from 25 yards. 

I think the manager is going to become increasingly under pressure with his one tactic of kicking the ball long and hoping the centre half makes a mistake. I’m very concerned with what I am seeing. I thought we were pretty average under Rosenior and thought he was over complicating things, but at least I could see what he was trying to do and was hopeful he could amend it, change and tweak a bit. Appointing Warne seems to have put a great deal of pressure on the club that simply wasn’t there before. He wasn’t part of last season and as a result doesn’t have the good will that Rosenior had. I really think he needs to stop being a David Brent impersonator and start working out a way of getting the most from the players he does have, in my humble opinion. 

5 minutes ago, Ramfan86 said:

On the plus side - we kept a clean sheet, didn’t concede a penalty and Colin’s is back Saturday!

? Always look on the bright side of life! ?

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

Your first two sentences are logically incoherent. Either they do or they don't, they can't 'sometimes' match up. One of a manager's biggest tasks is to over-perform in relation to current budget and stature of the club they are at. Warne didn't historically over-perform where Rotherham have often been (a struggling second and third tier side). Warne had a worse win rate than Steve Evans, Ronnie Moore and Mark Robins when they were there, i.e., Warne is the 4th most succesful rotherham manager out of the last 8,  so let's not pretend he did some insanely brilliant job up there. 

You know well what I'm saying, trying to pretend that football isn't determined often by budgets is a fools position to take. 

Yes, managers are expected to over perform vs budget, but it's an incredibly difficult task. He over performed at Rotherham.

They are not historically a struggling second tier side. They have mostly been a league one side, with the occasional appearance in the Championship and League 2. Here is my source https://www.wikiwand.com/en/List_of_Rotherham_United_F.C._seasons . You are trying to discredit Warne's job there without knowing anything about it or without knowing any context. 

Ask any Rotherham fan who did a better job, Evans, Moore, Robins or Warne. Notice how Warne got them promoted more often so had to play in a harder division (hence the low win %). You are deliberately taking a disingenuous stance. 

A lot of people suggesting we will be getting rid of a lot of players because they can’t or won’t adapt to Warne’s ‘style’. But isn’t that the wrong way round? Shouldn’t Warne be coming up with ways to get the best out of the squad he has?  

All managers come in and say they’re going to adapt their styles to match the players…. but they never seem to. 

I accept that over time he will want to bring in the players he wants, but he should be able to get some kind of tune out of the players he’s already got (particularly as it’s going to take a few windows to do that and we aren’t going to have much of a budget anyway).

I’m not suggesting that tonight’s dismal performance means we should be getting rid of Warne or he isn’t ‘the one’.  Still too early to come to any conclusions (as it was with Liam) and still plenty of time for him to come good.  But it’s pretty clear we’re currently no better off than we were and not a huge amount to be getting excited about.

Oh well. Looking for positives, we didn’t lose and hopefully he’ll stick with a back four ‘cos that looked better. Small pickings! 

5 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Not at all. I wasn’t sad to see Rosenior leave and was initially optimistic having heard Warnes interviews that he could be good. There’s no bias. I’ve just got eyes and I can see that the stats say that we were having more shots, more shots on target and higher XG before Warne came in… 

If you have no bias, why are you showing a blatant double standard in your appraisals of the two managers? I just don't believe it. 

Higher xG, give over. 

Been out of range of the civilised world today, so only now catching up. But, heck, it makes painfully difficult reading.

After all that we've been through the past 2-3 years, all we wanted was stability and a bit of entertainment.

Clowes, thankfully has saved our club, but it seems he's appointed a manager that is a long way from giving us entertaining football.

Sad day.