Ipswich v Derby (A) Matchday Thread - ‘and it’s live’

i-Ram

That was the shitest game I've watched us play since Cocu tbh, woeful football. Didn't have a f****** clue. Really don't think the 3atb system works with our set of players and we don't have the defensive nous or physicality in midfield. Need 2 or 3 in January to have any chance of going up. 

Cashin and Wildsmith the only players who were good today for us, thought Smith was solid as well. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

4 minutes ago, Monty said:

Think we were watching different games - see the stats to see the ITFC domination - we basically had a good first five minutes 

It's bizarre. Sixteen shots to three in a game we were 'chasing' for half an hour. No shots on target for us, and we never looked like having one. Eleven corners to three. In what world is that an evenly balanced game? 

It's just like the 'officials conspiracy' crowd. The referees aren't the problem here. 

Edited by vonwright

Commentators reckon Hourihane is a cheat code in League 1

And pundits are impressed that as soon as Davies plays a through ball for them, Ipswich are on the front foot.

And it was a "great finish" with "still a lot to do" 

How the feck do you persevere with this sport? 

4 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

People going for the scapegoats tonight! ?

We are a team mixed with very experienced players and very inexperienced players mixed with Barkhuizen and Mendez-Laing, that’s exactly how we looked tonight and it’s shown in the mistake for the goal. 

Sibley needs games, full 90 minutes games. His mistakes are that of an inexperienced player who is reacting half a second after or just isn’t quite in the right position. That comes with playing football, you are seeing a player who hasn’t played enough football. Blame Rooney or blame whoever, he’s got the ability but he needed proper game time.

Bird, I want to see that extra 10% out of him and I don’t think we see it enough. He coasted tonight. He’s an excellent footballer but he needs to pull his finger out sometimes, wasn’t enough from him tonight all things considered 

Thats my only thoughts tonight, young players need game time essentially.

Oh out squad depth is horrific for this league, we lose one player and we can’t cope unfortunately.

Speaking for myself I'm not scapegoating players but I am little fed up of listening to how good certain players are despite them rarely showing it.

In the case of Sibley none of our managers seem to have been enamoured with him, and there is usually a good reason for that. As for giving him game time that is not always a luxury a team can afford; how many matches does he have to be a passenger for until he hits form?

Bird has more about him but for a sitting midfielder never seems to get a grip of the game. He's young but it's no good if he can't assert himself in midfield.

8 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

So many of the goals in this league come from daft errors and not brilliant football. Can’t have a go at Curtis , he has been amazing for us . He will be gutted tonight.

Davis shouldn't be immune from criticism just because he's been amazing for us in the past (and probably will be again). It's beyond doubt that his error led to the only goal of the game (and I'm sure he'd be the first to agree). However, any criticism should be tempered by the fact that all players make mistakes it's just that some are more costly than others. 

Criticise him? Yes of course.

Hang him out to dry? Absolutely not.

9 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Assuming NML and Barkhuizen do go (and someone wants to take them), how are we a 'work in progress'? They were two of our big signings. Hourihane won't want to be on the bench either. McGoldrick's getting on and doesn't fit Warne's football either. Even in a magical world where we can sell any player we want, whenever we want, getting rid of those players would just be an admission that we got all our big signings wrong and need to start again. Again. 

To be honest I think the summer signings were just getting bodies through the door. Weren’t we in preseason with absolutely nobody?

I think it’s 100% going to be a rebuild. Signing how many players over the age of 30 was never us building for the future, it was getting a team that can compete in league 1 whilst spending no money. For a while I was worried that we would go straight down to league 2 as we would be playing kids. 

What would you have preferred this summer? We bide our time and only sign players that fitted a 5 year plan?

We survived as a club and fair play to Rosenior for getting anyone through the door he could. I won’t be pointing figures at anyone within the club if they hold their hands up and admit any of this summers signings were wrong. 

Edited by Mckram

3 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

That was the shitest game I've watched us play since Cocu tbh, woeful football. Didn't have a f****** clue. Really don't think the 3atb system works with our set pf players and we don't have the defensive nous or physicality in midfield. Need 2 or 3 in January to have any chance of going up. 

Cashin and Wildsmith the only players who were good today for us, thought Smith was solid as well. 

Were you living under a rock during Wayne Rooney’s spell of about nine defeats in 10 at the end of 2020/21?

We were absolutely garbage.

Tonight we were poor and beaten by a better side. But nowhere near as bad as that spell when we were losing 4-0 at Cardiff and 3-0 at Preston.

Edited by Bris Vegas

1 minute ago, vonwright said:

Assuming NML and Barkhuizen do go (and someone wants to take them), how are we a 'work in progress'? They were two of our big signings. Hourihane won't want to be on the bench either. McGoldrick's getting on and doesn't fit Warne's football either. Even in a magical world where we can sell any player we want, whenever we want, getting rid of those players would just be an admission that we got all our big signings wrong and need to start again. Again. 

You've pretty much named the players we have in the squad with ability to craft a goal for themselves or others .  Pains me to say your right.  Perhaps we should get a new manager who doesn't want to play Rotherham rollerball and we can keep the players instead.  Is there someone out there who can set up a team to play the opposition rather than a system.  It smells of Jewell to me. great at smaller clubs like Bradford and Wigan.  w*** at Wednesday and Derby.   

I can’t be bothered to read the whole thread but why can’t our players pass the ball anymore and why are we wasting Mendez-Laing playing him at wing back. We don’t have the players for this system - it’s pretty apparent. I’m a little concerned having David Brent as our manager. He’s going to have to build a squad full of players that fit his style and that’s going to take a long time. A good manager gets the best out of what he has. I’m not sure Rosenior or Warne managed that. It would help if certain players turned up once in a while though. Pretty depressing performance to be honest. They were only marginally better. Penalty!!!

6 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'm on the train back to London having just come from the match. 

We're clearly a work in progress. We are not yet a team. No discernible partnerships forming and some players like Barkhuizen clearly look out of position. 

That said, we didn't really look in any trouble until we started bringing the subs on, every one of which seemed to detract from the team. 

Anyone know why Ipswich were playing in all black rather than their home colours? 

Agree re Barks just doesnt look at all comfortable in that position and it puts pressure on Cash.  Be interested to see if they play all night matches in that kit. We were pitch level and it was difficult to see their players against crowd now mainly in dark coats.