Ipswich v Derby (A) Matchday Thread - ‘and it’s live’

i-Ram

My first experience of Warne-ball and I’m not convinced by it. Looks like a lot of hoof and case. Just bypass the midfield and hope for second balls. Maybe it will look a bit better when Collins comes back in, but that was well below what I’d expect from Derby. I don’t think we can have any complaints about losing that, as we offered nothing - Ipswich better in all departments.

I like Warne the man, but I’m already getting a feeling that he’s the wrong man for the job. It’s only been five/six games so I will give him more time, but things have to improve quickly if we have any aspirations of the play offs.  

Defensively I thought we kept our shape pretty well and they didn’t look much like scoring other than the mistake.

We don’t have a midfield player who transitions play into attack. I thought Smith did okay. The others were all timid. Sibley is the one you would hope can make things happen but he flatters to deceive again and again. Cliff Richard has scored more recently.

Two kids up front running around without much quality and wide men clearly not enjoying the wing back role.

I said before the game we should revert to 4-3-3, play a proper back four and let NML and Barkhuisen play on the wing.

Curtis won’t be fit for Tuesday so we’re back to Stearman and Cashin.

It was very frustrating tonight but not a cause for panic. We’ve lost 1-0 away to a team tipped for promotion.

Hoping for better in the next two home games.

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I don’t think they were any better than us to be honest and we were poor - again every 50/50 decision goes against us 

kids and old pros and that’s what you get - Cashin our MoM - we don’t have a forward at the club who can head the ball 

They were better on nearly all key aspects - Extremely disappointing tonight and I feel for fans that travelled to the game. I’ll be very surprised (pleasantly) if we get out of league one this season. I think the management team know they’ve got a lot of work to do  

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

By far the cleverest forward we have was scratching his arse on the bench for an hour  and he must be pushing 500 senior games..  That was the managers call. I also think we have a very decent team for this level and some can actually play football. He may as well not play Laing and Barkhuizen as he totally negates any attacking prowess they have as they're knackered running around for fook all. For some reason he seems to keep playing Bird as well.  Every manager seems to go on about him being a nice lad who wants to learn .  That being the case I can't see he's learnt anything in over two years.  He must be a part time hypnotist or something.

He’s also 34 and just coming back from injury. Agree he’s our best attacker but he isn’t going to run after their defence for even 60 minutes of the game.

I think he would drop Bird if we had better on the bench. Probably didn’t want to risk Hourihane for the full game tonight and I don’t think Hourihane has been that great recently either. 

1 minute ago, NottsRam77 said:

sibley, i dont know what his best position is

It’s basically the position Giles Barnes used to play for us, as a second striker off a proper target man, in a fairly direct team.  But we don’t have that striker to play him off, and Warne is playing him in midfield ?‍♂️.  He’s a good dribbler and finisher, but his all round game is poor.  He isn’t technically good enough, to play in midfield, especially in a possession based team (which we’ve been for most of his time here).  You need to get him on the ball, running at defenders 10+ times a game to get the best out of him.

One of the most annoying performances in the 2nd half I can recall. 

So many simple misplaced passes, so many terrible crosses, so many long balls skidding through. Just lost the ball over and over. Mendez Laing was good first half but kept turning the ball over in the last 10mins, Sibley's final ball was shocking.  Just scruffy and clumsy everywhere.  Three very similar centre halves and two awkward looking wingers and Bird sloppy and over run, just looked all wrong and no one seemed sure what they were doing.

Edited by Chester40

1 minute ago, jimtastic56 said:

So many of the goals in this league come from daft errors and not brilliant football. Can’t have a go at Curtis , he has been amazing for us . He will be gutted tonight.

We can have a go at him tonight. A player that experienced should know better than hitting a slow backpass towards his own goal without even looking. He's better than that, he knows it and we all know it.

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Ipswich should be gutted with that. To only win 1-0 against a side so utterly useless at the most basic tasks playing with no particular style or direction with zero focal point is going to disappoint them. 

Imagine having that donkey sanctuary in front of you and struggling to finish them off. 

Don't Google "finishing off donkeys" whatever you do @Alpha

Wildsmith - hardly anything to do 

Cashin - our MoM 

Davies - big blooper and looks like he will be out for a while 

Chester - average 

Barkhauzen - has a hamstring injury now so that’s a wing back gone 

smith - played well but clearly can’t last a game yet 

Bird - totally disappeared in the second half 

sibley - if he had a first touch he would be dangerous 

mendiz lang - keeps trying to do everything - help him 

dobbin - no first touch and can’t head a ball 

Osula - no first touch and can’t head a ball 

- subs - no one helped apart from Forsyth who looked like a footballer 

People going for the scapegoats tonight! ?

We are a team mixed with very experienced players and very inexperienced players mixed with Barkhuizen and Mendez-Laing, that’s exactly how we looked tonight and it’s shown in the mistake for the goal. 

Sibley needs games, full 90 minutes games. His mistakes are that of an inexperienced player who is reacting half a second after or just isn’t quite in the right position. That comes with playing football, you are seeing a player who hasn’t played enough football. Blame Rooney or blame whoever, he’s got the ability but he needed proper game time.

Bird, I want to see that extra 10% out of him and I don’t think we see it enough. He coasted tonight. He’s an excellent footballer but he needs to pull his finger out sometimes, wasn’t enough from him tonight all things considered 

Thats my only thoughts tonight, young players need game time essentially.

Oh out squad depth is horrific for this league, we lose one player and we can’t cope unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I don’t think they were any better than us to be honest and we were poor - again every 50/50 decision goes against us 

kids and old pros and that’s what you get - Cashin our MoM - we don’t have a forward at the club who can head the ball 

Let’s not blame the ref again, we created very little all game and they were the better side on the night and edged it.

10 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Plus 3 goal kicks given as corners, 2 throw-ins given the wrong way, the foul on Sibley, ad nausea. 

And I was deliberately trying to give the ref a chance.

Still beaten by the better team, but we did ok. It all came down to one mistake.

Okay? 

We were absolutely dogshit and it’s fanciful to pretend otherwise 

9BB5B278-551A-4C7A-8597-8DB85D166DDC.png