Derby County v Port Vale - The Matchday Thread

Day

11 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Fair comment, but where was he, in the other ten games ? Polishing a turd at the minute. Not a scapegoat but at this level, he has disappointed, his game is affecting Bird somehow.It ain't working.

And yet in the Cambridge game the midfield worked and Bird played well alongside Hourihane ??‍♂️  
Hourihane’s not been brilliant, he’s not been terrible, he’s played his part in a solid but unspectacular start to the season for the club.
3 goals and 1 assist in 10 games is an ok return, he’s got room to improve as does the majority of the squad and it is still early days for Warne and his system. 
For me this season was never going to be perfect, we’ve had a period of transition over the summer and another with the change of manager. Today is one game in a 46 game season, plenty of opportunities lie ahead for individuals and the team to do well. 

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I know we lost, but I am looking forward to Paul being hilarious in his next interview. Perhaps he might wear a funny scarf, no socks, that will do it, some funny socks. I’ll definitely buy them socks.

I'm hoping for some lucky tie dye Y fronts with a ram in full charge.  Been looking for years and you just can't get them, so that should get a few thousand produced.

We are too nice, and that leads to other teams walking all over us.

NML should have gone down screaming from their 22's Yellow card, thrown in a barrel roll or two, and Yellow magically becomes Red.

He did him a favour by staying upright, and got repaid by the same player making a similar challenge later on and the ref bottling it.

Collins is young and inexperienced, and will learn to control that temper. 

Oh no, he's not young, just a t*** then to get sent off in that way. Don't give the cheating 14 man opposition a decision to make, ffs.

30 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The definition of cheating is to act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage. 

What personal advantage did the referree gain today?

He may well have been incompetent but cheating is a bit strong and tbh totally inappropriate use of words. 

It's more a question of whether he was influenced by the fallout from his last game he reffed involving PV. I just don't think it was appropriate for him to referee this game.

Did we play well - No

Did we contribute to our own downfall - yes 

Did the referees performance fundamentally change the game in vales favour - absolutely 

Not been so angry at a football match for many many years. Despite not playing well we’d created the better chances looked more threatening and at 1-1 felt we’d just upped it and it was only a matter of time before we’d go on and win the game - then the sending off happened. I need to see it again but right now im not having it, and certainly don’t see how the ref can give it from the position he was in (ie. 30 yards away), and how their player avoided any punishment for pushing our player in the face in the aftermath god knows. 

Vale got away with murder all game. Yes we were poor, I can take getting beat when it’s deserved but my overriding feeling is injustice and nothing pushes my angry buttons more than injustice. Vale have now made it on my shitlist and I’m already looking forward to the return game where hopefully we’ll give them a good pasting!

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

The definition of cheating is to act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage. 

What personal advantage did the referree gain today?

He may well have been incompetent but cheating is a bit strong and tbh totally inappropriate use of words. 

The chance to keep reffing in this league without another complaint from Port Vale ?  I'd suggest we put in a complaint.  Might bring the players chocolates and flowers next time he comes here.

It must be difficult for the players, first trying to get used to 0ne system and then another. Thought we were generally poor today, Port Vale were more together and understood their position and roles better and despite not really causing us big problems were the better§ side. They were also smart, they understood the ref and played to him.

what must the ref have thought when the away end sang the referee is one of our own, shocking. The first pen was not a pen, but he was influenced and accepted that influence. No issues with the second pen it was hand ball.

we had innocent collisions given as fouls, mostly in favour of the away side but we had a few as well. Then he let go the professional ones which should have been a yellow, Port Vale were guilty of 2 or 3 of them. 

Collins was not a red card, the the defenders injured nose (he collided with another defender) saw Collins slam his hand down put 2 and 2 together and made 5. 

there is a positive point about the ref, I doubt if he will ever have a worse game.

for the next game I would move Knight to right wing back and Roberts or Fozzy to left wing back, I would put Corey smith in the middle and NML up front with Dobbin.

if the red is resindered I would keep Collins in but keep the same as above bar NML and Barks doing the left wing back role. We were to exposed at the back today against a poor attack 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

And yet in the Cambridge game the midfield worked and Bird played well alongside Hourihane ??‍♂️  
Hourihane’s not been brilliant, he’s not been terrible, he’s played his part in a solid but unspectacular start to the season for the club.
3 goals and 1 assist in 10 games is an ok return, he’s got room to improve as does the majority of the squad and it is still early days for Warne and his system. 
For me this season was never going to be perfect, we’ve had a period of transition over the summer and another with the change of manager. Today is one game in a 46 game season, plenty of opportunities lie ahead for individuals and the team to do well. 

Taking Warne out of the equation, the midfield has flattered to deceive.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

It's more a question of whether he was influenced by the fallout from his last game he reffed involving PV. I just don't think it was appropriate for him to referee this game.

This is true. He was probably heavily influenced by the comments after that game. But didn't cheat today.q

3 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

He gave a free kick to Port Vale.  The foul was on Sibley. This is what the ref did most of the game.  

I don't believe that you can give a free kick if the ball is not in play.  You can caution or send off though.

Don't quite know what to make of any of that. Haven't seen any highlights but live I was baffled by some of the decisions by the officials and some of our play.

We were unconvincing and looked like a side trying to play in a style and formation that doesn't suit them. There's still time for both of those things to embed of course.

When we were 1-0 up, I was surprised that we didn't try to dominate possession, even if to frustrate them for a bit. We gave them too much of the ball and failed to control the game. That cost us momentum and let them into it.

That said we created chances to go 2-3 up by half time.

There's a long way to go. That could be to our advantage or it could be painful viewing... 

15 minutes ago, MickD said:

I don't believe that you can give a free kick if the ball is not in play.  You can caution or send off though.

Yes, but the ball was in play when Sibley was wrestled to the floor while going for the ball. No way that it was a free-kick to Port Vale. It was a penalty. And because there is no agenda or vendetta against Derby County, it cannot possibly be given because Derby County are not allowed to be awarded penalties. Obviously, because that was the third good call which was turned down today.

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

then the sending off happened. I need to see it again but right now im not having it, and certainly don’t see how the ref can give it from the position he was in (ie. 30 yards away),

Out of interest you say it's not from how far away