Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

So last night there was a 'rumour' that Warne was a candidate to replace Rosenior who had been relieved of his duties as interim manager.

Today, Warne becomes Head Coach and 3 of his staff move as well. 

Dont know about anybody else but I dont make decisions about my next employment in a matter of hours. 4 people have clearly been speaking to their families for days about this change in their lives. Doesnt seem a snap decion by Clowes, been simmering for a while me thinks

On 21/09/2022 at 17:08, S8TY said:

Hope Warne doesn't bring that classy Rovrum fan with him....for all saying he has a track record so did Paul Jewell but we know how that turned out....play a completely different style to how we play so don't get it at all

Not really a good omen, being a DCFC manager with the name Paul ......... thinking  Paul Jewell, Paul Clement ?

Hopefully it all work out and we achieve promotion this season. Pressure on the new guy, no question. 

On 21/09/2022 at 17:14, Kokosnuss said:

Yes, and Gary Rowett's style of football got us to a Championship Play-off semi-final.

Very few would want to see us play like that again though, most felt they'd had enough of watching it after less than a year.

Feels like a no win situation

get to play offs but play crap football and its not good enough

miss out on the play offs and its not good enough

do think a lot of fans are still fixated and expect that mclaren half season where everything bar that last 5 mins at wembley was golden 

that sort of football and form is a once in a blue moon sort of scenario for a club like us

theres no harm wanting it again and trying to aim for it but i do think we need to temper our expectations.. even more so given recent events 

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

A four year contract?

Now that’s an interesting decision.

I would have thought Warne would have been given a two-year contract in line with the deals that the players signed in the summer.

I guess this means the financial restrictions related to signing up playing staff don’t really apply to non playing staff.

But even so I think it would have made sense to use the business plan as a guide to protect ourselves.

In some ways, a four year deal means there is security for both the club and the coaches, but equally we don’t want to be in the position of paying off long contracts should something go wrong, which there is always a chance of happening however small.

My guess is that we couldn’t /wouldn’t offer a sky high tempt me salary but could offer the financial and personal security of a longer contract.

2 hours ago, paintingstandsatderby said:

I do feel sorry for LR. Comes across as an intelligent, hardworking, knowledgeable and all-round nice bloke!

However...I do look forward to not having two defensive midfielders in League one (didn't think we needed them in the Championship to be honest!) and not playing sidewards and backwards passes until the whole of the opposition is in front of us! 

I believe man for man, we probably have the most talented players in the division, but our style under LR showed far too much respect to the opposition.

Hopefully PW's more direct style will bring more of what we saw in the second half of the last game!

Certainly Warne's the pre and post match interviews will be somewhat less considered than those of Liam......  #$@!%  pass the swear box someone  

5 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

#

I'm all out of faith, this is how I feel
I'm cold and I am shamed
Lying naked on the floor
Illusion never changed
Into something real
I'm wide awake and I can see the perfect guy is Warne
You're a little late
I'm loving Warne #

Hmmm somehow doesn't quite work maybe......still, it's a start ??

If your singing this, I really don’t like the sound of line 3 

34 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

This is true. We seem to have gone from dominating games (or the first half at least) but not quite scoring, to getting overrun in midfield and scrambling late points at home! 

It's like we've got a team made up largely of players more toward the end of their career, who after a shorter pre-season than others are catching up on their fitness but tiring toward the end of a busy schedule of games (plus a couple of injuries stopping some of them getting a rest)

Yes we've had to pull a couple of results out of the bag when we may not have performed well all throughout the game, but that's what what you get from players who's technical quality shines despite their bodies slowing down. 

Again I find people's reactions bizarre. It's like people are pretending that the limitations in our squad don't exist.

I absolutely guarantee that if Rooney hadn't left, and then had an identical start to Rosenior this season then 80/90% of the people who've now decided they don't really want Rosenior anyway and (in some cases) are actually glad to see him leave wouldn't have been calling for a change, but making excuses for one manager that they won't allow for another.

If Warne does get off to a bad start it'd be interesting to see what excuses come rolling in. Probably some would find a way to blame Rosenior.

Edited by Kokosnuss

Thinking pragmatically, which players do people think this will benefit? 

I know a lot of people have aired the idea that this would work against Max Bird, but I actually think the opposite. Warne used Barlaser as their defensive central midfielder and essentially made him a key component in their team. I also think Knight and Cashin are likely to benefit. I'd imagine Dobbin will likely move to a striker position, alongside Collins/McGoldrick. Osula fits the type of striker that Rotherham have been very successful at implementing and the rumour was that Warne wanted him at Rotherham this season. 

Based on how he's had Rotherham line up in games (home and away) in both the latter part of last season, and this. I would imagine we will be playing something like - ignoring Wildsmith in goal: 

Davies
Chester                                           Cashin

The back three usually has one deep lying centre back, in their case Richard Wood - in ours most likely Curtis Davies. The other two centre backs play quite wide and quite a distance in front of Davies. This was true in all the ones I've seen from last season and this. I think Stearman, Roberts, Rooney and perhaps even Forsyth are likely to play and cover here behind the three above. 

Bird
Barkhuizen        Knight          Hourihane      Mendez-Laing

The central midfield three pivot around a central point, in their case Barlaser - in our case most likely Bird. Barlaser usually touches the ball more than any other Rotherham player. The other two central midfielders usually touch the ball between the 6-11th placed players in the team. I believe these are essentially used to reduce space and create opportunities. They're likely to gamble more than most. Knight for his energy will almost certainly be a permanent fixture in the team. Smith will probably sit behind him to cover. The lack of a number 10 probably means Sibley will be vying with Hourihane for game time. The wide two positions usually have a one more attacking than the other, therefore you could potentially see Barkhuizen/Mendez-Laing on one side with Roberts/Forsyth on the other - this will no doubt alternate based on a number of factors. 

Collins         McGoldrick

The front two are probably the easiest to call, with Collins and McGoldrick the likely first choice at this point. Dobbin will get a lot of opportunities in this position, possibly even Sibley too. Paul Warne wanted Osula at Rotherham too, reportedly, so perhaps look out for him. He usually likes the physical aspect in strikers, i.e. Ladapo, Kieffer Moore...etc. Not usually the most technically gifted footballers but disruptive. I don't think he walks straight into the team but definitely see some opportunities for him. 

All in all, I'm confident the team we put together in the summer actually complements the system that Warne has implemented at Rotherham. I believe the biggest shift will be in the likes of Bird, who will need to improve but can actually take huge strides in his career mirroring Barlaser who most would've said was an inferior player. I also think the system opens the door to Rooney, who I believe will eventually win a place in the team and based on what I've seen will hold it down.

The only other thing I noted, to no surprise, was how compact his teams play together. You can definitely see a well drilled team purely by looking at the data and aggregate player positions over the course of the game. 

1st post and watching / reading from a distance but If I was to hazard a wild wild  guess with no facts. One would assume this is to do with ownership (silent partner / funding) and/or sponsorship. 

A club that needs to attract high value sponsorship with a good chance of promotion cannot have a trainee manager nor matter how well LR communicated we need results and be challenging for promotion 

At the end of the day, we've done our time being a proving ground for new managers. 

Three out of our last four managers had never had a job before being appointed by us. The other had never managed in this country.

I wish Liam all the best but he was only appointed interim manager for a reason. I thought he was doing a decent job but the style of football was way too ambitious for this league - Cocuball reborn.

This seems like the most sensible appointment we've made in years. I have a good feeling about Warne.

6 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Again I find people's reactions bizarre. It's like people are pretending that the limitations in our squad don't exist.

I absolutely guarantee that if Rooney hadn't left, and then had an identical start to Rosenior this season then 80/90% of the people who've now decided they don't really want Rosenior anyway and (in some cases) are actually glad to see him leave wouldn't have been calling for a change, but making excuses for one manager that they won't allow for another.

If Warne does get off to a bad start it'd be interesting to see what excuses come rolling in. Probably some would find a way to blame Rosenior.

Rooney would have got exactly the same treatment.

Calls for a more experienced manager with more of a grasp on what football in this league is all about.

Well, from the ones who hold every manager to the same standard.

Unfortunately our fanbase gets enamoured with failing managers with unworkable principles far too easily.

Some would be glad to see the likes of Cocu, Rooney and Rosenior still here and I find that honestly quite odd.

Roll on Cambridge and let’s see if Warne can deliver a ripper or two.