Joe Haigh signed on a half season loan

Srg

50 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Makes a lot more sense that he’s for the Under-21s. He’s an attacking midfielder and we don’t really need any more of them in the first team - we’ve already got Knight and Sibley (provided they both stay, of course).

For those saying that makes the signing pointless - note that he’s out of contract at the end of the season. This loan will effectively act as a “trial” to assess his potential, before signing him permanently on a free next summer. 

He won’t take up any of our 5 “first team squad” loans (believe we’re allowed another 3 on top who aren’t involved on match days), so I don’t see the issue. Our academy has been decimated during administration (Mels legacy), leaving our U21 squad extremely thin (only 16 players currently), and totally devoid of quality, as evidenced by results so far this year. We’ve gone from having one of the best academies in the country to one of the worst. We’re crying out for reinforcements, and good quality ones at that, as we look to rebuild. We have to look externally - as we already have with Rooney and Nunn - so this seems a good move to me,

I had thought it used to be 6 loans allowed with only 5 in the match day squad.. maybe that has changed as someone did mention that the limit was now 8 overall. If Haigh doesn't make the first team squad that still leaves two more loans allowed for the first team and another two for the rest. Still some business to do  today or in January. 

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

I had thought it used to be 6 loans allowed with only 5 in the match day squad.. maybe that has changed as someone did mention that the limit was now 8 overall. If Haigh doesn't make the first team squad that still leaves two more loans allowed for the first team and another two for the rest. Still some business to do  today or in January. 

The rules on loans change so often it’s hard to keep up tbf - either way up, I’m pretty sure loaning Haigh into the U21s won’t cause any issues with our first team recruitment. We’ve still got 2 first team squad loan slots, which we need to fill with a RB and ST.

2 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Think Rooney will be getting a lot closer to the first team after his performance in the cup cover for that maybe?

Not sure once Davies & Chester are back which seems likely in the new couple of weeks, is maybe an option for CDM too

On 31/08/2022 at 23:39, Ghost of Clough said:

Knight will be RB for the season.

Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, McGoldrick, Sibley, Dobbin and this guy to rotate as the three behind Collins and A.N.Other

Thank god Knight is still with us.

The videos show Haigh playing high and finishing well. The issue i reckon is not whether we have enough attacking players but whether we can get them playing together effectively.  And how many minutes McGoldrick can play, he should be massive this season 

6 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Thank god Knight is still with us.

The videos show Haigh playing high and finishing well. The issue i reckon is not whether we have enough attacking players but whether we can get them playing together effectively.  And how many minutes McGoldrick can play, he should be massive this season 

I have a feeling there isn’t much money about these days. If we are title contenders come January it might be a different story, but yeah .. huge relief we are all in one piece. 

And three of our more experienced Under 21 players, Max Bardell, Connor Dixon and Courtney Clarke are all out injured. If they are long-term injuries, we need cover. 

They could all be fit again by January. 

I think these signings demonstrate that we want to be competitive at under 21 level, as well as senior level. Good luck to them.

We should always be looking to strengthen at all levels within the Club. The current first team squad certainly looks as though at the very least we should be competitive but both the U18 and U21 teams are struggling to compete with much better funded opposition and any moves to raise the quality of these squads (even for half a season) should be encouraged.

Getting beaten week in, week out won't do their confidence any good and may have a detrimental effect on individual players who have the potential to go on to good careers. The likes of Cashin, Thompson, Bird, Knight and Sibley all played in teams which were competitive, allowing them to flourish and blossom into first team regulars - can we be sure that progression would have happened if they'd been losing almost every week?

6 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I would guess this is to get our u21 team something like competitive. Our younger players have a better chance of improving with the chance of playing better football/winning.

I agree with this
It can't always help your development being 16 and getting battered by 18 year olds every week and the same at 18 in the U21s
Yes some will cope but some positions are more physical that others.

Just having and extra two experienced players at U21 allows us to play players in matches when they can best develop be that U21 U18 U16 or whatever. Would i prefer that we're bringing in permanent replacements for the huge outflow, yes obviously, but we'll take what we can get