Joe Haigh signed on a half season loan

Srg

49 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Anybody know how this actually works? Does he still use up one of our loan spots, or is it a separate youth loan or something? And if it's separate, are there things we have to do before he could play for the first team?  Can we just chuck him in or do we have to upgrade the loan or something.

24 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Anybody know how this actually works? Does he still use up one of our loan spots, or is it a separate youth loan or something? And if it's separate, are there things we have to do before he could play for the first team?  Can we just chuck him in or do we have to upgrade the loan or something.

Youth Loans are a thing but not sure how they work. We used one on Rushian Hepburn-Murphy a few years back.

Beyond that, I think the rule is just 5 in the matchday squad, so if it's a standard loan then he could play for the first team if we dropped another out the squad.

Perhaps we are guaranteeing him game time of some sort for the season that he might struggle to get regularly at Chelsea? I imagine he needs regular minutes and then the odd chance to move up to the first team to play in cup comps and cover injuries.

We are allowed a max of 8 loans (5 in a match day squad). We currently have 3, with Anang out for a few more weeks too. If we bring him in on loan and Osula from Sheff U (or other striker) then that brings us up to 5 total. We could have space for another loan (RB?) in the squad until Anang is available again and then we'd just need to drop one loan player from the match day squad each game to be within the limits.

He seems to be a versatile player with a lot of positive reviews regarding his potential and playing style.

33 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Could be someone that isn’t going to make the Chelsea grade who we see potential in and could integrate into our club, loan first but then permanent possibly down the line, for those saying an u23 loan will be pointless.

He is apparently highly rated by Chelsea. Yes not every single one of Chelseas youth players makes it to their first team, but if we end up signing this guy I will be extremely surprised. Seems a complete waste of time to me. If he's not going into the first team and we don't own him I wouldn't waste our time.

19 minutes ago, GenBr said:

He is apparently highly rated by Chelsea. Yes not every single one of Chelseas youth players makes it to their first team, but if we end up signing this guy I will be extremely surprised. Seems a complete waste of time to me. If he's not going into the first team and we don't own him I wouldn't waste our time.

You would think that Wassall/Rosenior would have a plan or reason in mind as we are not in the position financially to use up a loan ( senior or youth ) frivolously ? 

32 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I've seen people say this a couple of times now, but based off what?
So far this season he's been in the U21 squad twice and played just 18 minutes out of their 6 games. 10 other CMs have had more game time already.
Last season he was in and out of the team as 6th most used CM, playing less than 40% of the available minutes.

48 minutes ago, GenBr said:

If that’s the case then more likely we’ll take a look at him in u23s initially then he’ll get in first team if he’s that good.

46 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

You would think that Wassall/Rosenior would have a plan or reason in mind as we are not in the position financially to use up a loan ( senior or youth ) frivolously ? 

Well, you’d think so wouldn’t you?

Suppose it’s better fretting about the rights and wrongs of signing an u21 player than whether we might have a club or not but doesn’t seem like anything to get too worked up about.

I say this every time we sign anybody; we’ll only know if it was a good or bad idea in hindsight, after he’s played/not played or whether there is any evidence (which there isn’t and won’t be) that signing him stopped us signing somebody else. Until then, no point worrying - certainly as there’s nowt we can do about it anyway (and it’s all speculation in any event).

Keeps people off the streets, I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I've seen people say this a couple of times now, but based off what?
So far this season he's been in the U21 squad twice and played just 18 minutes out of their 6 games. 10 other CMs have had more game time already.
Last season he was in and out of the team as 6th most used CM, playing less than 40% of the available minutes.

Based off the opinions of Chelsea fans and people involved with the club. 

He has played enough minutes for people to make an assessment on his abilities.

Not that it really matters, but it is still a complete waste of time to be loaning a player for the U21s. If he impresses for U21s we're not going to keep him.

1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

We might not be paying any wages for him in which case it is a free hit, but still seems pointless to me. As above if he does do well here I very much doubt we'll be in a position to sign him in a years time.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

If that’s the case then more likely we’ll take a look at him in u23s initially then he’ll get in first team if he’s that good.

I know our U21 team was decimated curing administration, but again I still don't think we should be wasting time putting somebody elses player into our academy on the off chance that he might play for our first team every now and again. 

1 minute ago, ram59 said:

It might not be too pointless in signing him for the u21 squad, Jake Rooney was signed under identical circumstances and he's already ready being compared with the greats.

Screenshot_20220901-131325.png

No he wasn’t. Rooney was out of contract, never came on loan. 

Feels sort of like the sort of loan that would get tossed our way by Prem clubs under Nigel Clough, may or may not turn out to be a good player but we're probably getting them a bit too early to know either way just yet.

Bannan, Carroll, Livermore - went on to have good careers

Sunu, Vidal, Noble - who, who, who?

Edited by Kokosnuss

Makes a lot more sense that he’s for the Under-21s. He’s an attacking midfielder and we don’t really need any more of them in the first team - we’ve already got Knight and Sibley (provided they both stay, of course).

For those saying that makes the signing pointless - note that he’s out of contract at the end of the season. This loan will effectively act as a “trial” to assess his potential, before signing him permanently on a free next summer. 

He won’t take up any of our 5 “first team squad” loans (believe we’re allowed another 3 on top who aren’t involved on match days), so I don’t see the issue. Our academy has been decimated during administration (Mels legacy), leaving our U21 squad extremely thin (only 16 players currently), and totally devoid of quality, as evidenced by results so far this year. We’ve gone from having one of the best academies in the country to one of the worst. We’re crying out for reinforcements, and good quality ones at that, as we look to rebuild. We have to look externally - as we already have with Rooney and Nunn - so this seems a good move to me,

Edited by Millenniumram