Liam Rosenior

SO the last few games have been the first bit of the season that could be described as "sticky" (or whatever, but you get my drift) and being 1-0 down at home, the team believed, the calls LR made were right and we got the win - it's not that things won't go wrong, but the reaction and the belief and LR clearly learning as well I think show it's got the potential to work out.

I'm still a bit jury out on longer term, but for now, the team believe in him which is half the battle and we dug ourselves out of what was just starting to look like a bad run of form.

Doomsayers be gone.

2 hours ago, Big Trav said:

That was 100% all down to Rosenior making the necessary changes. Fair play

I'm a Rosenior fan and want him to be stay for a long spell.

...but the changes were only needed because we totally messed up our starting lineup and formation. Wycombe had nothing to offer in any moment where it wasn't us missing a header (which happened a worrying amount of times and always left us horribly exposed), none of their own play warranted a goal. Our players looked like they'd never met, and nobody seemed to know their own jobs let alone how to link up with the other players.

Once he did make the changes though he did something different to his previous setups with McGoldrick & Collins both on the pitch and only one of Bird/Hourihane. THAT deserves a lot of praise.

It doesn't change the fact he got it badly wrong for the first 55 minutes though.

Today is proof of his learning, hopefully, but the first half resembles what we saw under Cocu's latter days where he was making big changes just in the hope that something would work.

Edited by Kokosnuss

We were a total shambles first half and rosenior has to learn fast , changes helped especially knight to midfield whilst also keeping sibley on the pitch with him, the tempo ,energy and urgency raised and we got out of jail ,

my worry was liams interview where he said he told the players at half time to keep doing what they were doing ( words to that effect ) when clearly what they had been doing was as dire as I’ve seen from us in years ,,,

did the players raise it or the manager ? Time will tell but rosenior needs to get it into his head that in this division ( most divisions ) you are going nowhere without energy , grit , winning second balls and attacking at pace when the ball turns over ,

let’s see what the next game brings ,I hope we see the end of slow negative possession football around our back line only to lose it or launch it out of play

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

but the changes were only needed because we totally messed up our starting lineup and formation.

We were disjointed and poor for the first 25 minutes or so, but we then started playing better, creating promising situations and got on top. That continued at the start of the second and then Rosenior did a brave thing : he made attacking changes that could have backfired but instead took us to another level. In the, a win by 4/5 clear goals wouldn't have flattered us. 

10 hours ago, Crewton said:

We were disjointed and poor for the first 25 minutes or so, but we then started playing better, creating promising situations and got on top. That continued at the start of the second and then Rosenior did a brave thing : he made attacking changes that could have backfired but instead took us to another level. In the, a win by 4/5 clear goals wouldn't have flattered us. 

We started playing better after 25 minutes but Wycombe had also sat back a bit, happy to pack their box and chance a breakaway goal for 2-0, which very nearly worked but for Cashin's brilliant tackle.

From 25-55 it was quite like a lot of our other games - we were decent but not particularly quick in build up, and the chances of us actually scoring a goal were slim.despite having a few shots.

We weren't getting in behind them and by the time we got the ball in positions to shoot there was a wall of defenders ready and waiting to block those shots. It was better than the first 25 but it was still the wrong setup.

I'm not sure how you can really call getting NML & Collins on the pitch a brave decision, we were still a goal down and couldn't just continue the way we were it else it'd likely have stayed that way.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

We started playing better after 25 minutes but Wycombe had also sat back a bit, happy to pack their box and chance a breakaway goal for 2-0, which very nearly worked but for Cashin's brilliant tackle.

From 25-55 it was quite like a lot of our other games - we were decent but not particularly quick in build up, and the chances of us actually scoring a goal were slim.despite having a few shots.

We weren't getting in behind them and by the time we got the ball in positions to shoot there was a wall of defenders ready and waiting to block those shots. It was better than the first 25 but it was still the wrong setup.

I'm not sure how you can really call getting NML & Collins on the pitch a brave decision, we were still a goal down and couldn't just continue the way we were it else it'd likely have stayed that way.

Pretty much agree with you on all of this.  What seemed to work yesterday was playing 3 at the back with NML & TB in the wide “wing back” roles.  Be interesting to see if this is used again, maybe not from the start but if we are struggling to break teams down.

All in all, a very good last 30 mins in particular under immense pressure as I’m sure Liam and the team will have been aware of the the supporters “jungle drums of doom” 

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

At the time he made those substitutions, we were starting to dominate and many managers would have left it unchanged for another ten minutes or so. Also, NML and Barkhuizen were unhappy last season at their previous clubs precisely because they were selected to play as wing-backs, a position that they weren't comfortable in. I was concerned that NML in particular might struggle to provide defensive cover to Chester, but for that half-hour it worked well. We ended up with a front five who were all attackers : that, to me, was "brave", given so many were calling for his head prematch and booing during it. 

For the record @Tyler Durden, this topic I created

Is not even intended to be a debate, if you read the opening post you would see I specifically asked for no discussions, just names to gauge the mood, so you’re getting your knickers in a twist over absolutely nothing yet again.

Clearly there is some distrust in Rosenior to do the job, some believe he should be doing a better job, that’s perfectly fine, the game is full of opinions. I simply have genuine curiosity in who members would like in charge.

I’m not out to shame anyone, it’s literally just an easy to scroll through list of managers that members would like to see in charge.

If you see pages of Liam Rosenior, doesn’t mean you are wrong so no need to get so defensive over a simple question.

8 minutes ago, David said:

For the record @Tyler Durden, this topic I created

Is not even intended to be a debate, if you read the opening post you would see I specifically asked for no discussions, just names to gauge the mood, so you’re getting your knickers in a twist over absolutely nothing yet again.

Clearly there is some distrust in Rosenior to do the job, some believe he should be doing a better job, that’s perfectly fine, the game is full of opinions. I simply have genuine curiosity in who members would like in charge.

I’m not out to shame anyone, it’s literally just an easy to scroll through list of managers that members would like to see in charge.

If you see pages of Liam Rosenior, doesn’t mean you are wrong so no need to get so defensive over a simple question.

Another banal and vacuous post ?

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Another banal and vacuous post ?

Well what can I say, it’s what I do best! ?

I mean I could have done a simple Rosenior in or out poll, let members be anonymous, yet read through the same discussion as what is in this topic.

Just thought it would add more meat to the bone in where we had some names thrown out there, yet that translates into oh so nobody better than Rosenior…..erm…..no.

Very weird. That’s the internet for you I guess!

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

If it’s not a stupid question, can someone explain why we might need a different set up for home and away ? 

It's not a stupid question but I'm not sure there's a sensible answer.

I've often wondered why playing at home is such an advantage in the lower leagues at least. The pitches have to be within a certain size and, I think, they are mostly of a reasonable standard. Also, when you're only playing in front of a few thousand, the crowd shouldn't really make that much difference to a professional footballer.

I wonder what would happen if LR approached the Cambridge game exactly the same as if we were playing them at home? Of course there is the variable that Cambridge will set up differently.

I can't help but think, often,it's just a psychological thing but then, I've never been a professional footballer or a coach. ?