Liam Rosenior

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

At the time he made those substitutions, we were starting to dominate and many managers would have left it unchanged for another ten minutes or so. Also, NML and Barkhuizen were unhappy last season at their previous clubs precisely because they were selected to play as wing-backs, a position that they weren't comfortable in. I was concerned that NML in particular might struggle to provide defensive cover to Chester, but for that half-hour it worked well. We ended up with a front five who were all attackers : that, to me, was "brave", given so many were calling for his head prematch and booing during it. 

Having listened to Rosenior post match it seems that NML was injured hence not starting, so had he been fit we may well actually have seen us start the game with him and Barkhuizen as wing backs. As you say neither of them enjoy that, and just because it worked in the second half doesn't automatically mean it's a viable option from the start of games.

There was no need to experiment / change to wingbacks at home to Wycombe is the point really, they're no Plymouth in the way they play, our home form isn't an issue and changing things caused us to be be in the position of needing to overturn a deficit in the first place; the players didn't look like they knew where they were supposed to be, two going for the same ball gifts them the first goal. 

Perversely had Wycombe not got that goal they probably wouldn't have sat back, and it's debatable whether we'd have improved first half had they not done that. 

We made an unnecessary change and it very nearly backfired. The last 35 minutes were promising but shouldn't have been needed, even if ultimately the end result was good and we've gained some experience of 3 at the back along the way to take into other games.

Had we not capitalised on our chances (or had they gone 2-0 up when Cashin made that saving tackle) we'd be on the end of a demoralising home defeat (may have draw had it been 2-0) and it would have to go down to us not getting it right for the first part of the game.

Not totally specific to this conversation because it's been going on a while... I get that people are naturally very protective of our staff and players after the past couple of years, but at times I think it's bordering on overprotective, where the notion that someone may have made a mistake seems to cause offense and shouldn't be talked about, like it's not OK to admit that something was an error just because it worked out in the end and you're being negative / disloyal if you question a decision.

As I said in my initial post I'm fully on board with Rosenior, and he deserves praise for changing things when they weren't working, but I'm not going to go overboard with the praise and rubbish any concerns anyone might have, or pretend that (what I see as) an error isn't an error.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, David said:

For the record @Tyler Durden, this topic I created

Is not even intended to be a debate, if you read the opening post you would see I specifically asked for no discussions, just names to gauge the mood, so you’re getting your knickers in a twist over absolutely nothing yet again.

Clearly there is some distrust in Rosenior to do the job, some believe he should be doing a better job, that’s perfectly fine, the game is full of opinions. I simply have genuine curiosity in who members would like in charge.

I’m not out to shame anyone, it’s literally just an easy to scroll through list of managers that members would like to see in charge.

If you see pages of Liam Rosenior, doesn’t mean you are wrong so no need to get so defensive over a simple question.

The stock answer of a hysteric when they're accused of being hysterical is I'm not being hysteric....so likewise I'm not going to say I'm not being defensive. 

Just comes across as a baited shooting gallery question for people who don't think Rosenoir is the right person for the job to proffer alternatives which then get mocked for whatever trivial reason by the other faction. 

Too tall too short not enough hair yada yada you get the picture.

I've already listed a number of perfectly acceptable better candidates than Rosenoir who are out of work, could have added 3 times that but as I've already proven if the more suitable candidates are already being blindly ridiculed imagine what the reaction would be if I stuck up Bielsa's name for example. 

Anyhows I'll leave this thread alone now.

20 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The stock answer of a hysteric when they're accused of being hysterical is I'm not being hysteric....so likewise I'm not going to say I'm not being defensive. 

Just comes across as a baited shooting gallery question for people who don't think Rosenoir is the right person for the job to proffer alternatives which then get mocked for whatever trivial reason by the other faction. 

I've already listed a number of perfectly acceptable better candidates than Rosenoir who are out of work, could have added 3 times that but as I've already proven if the more suitable candidates are already being blindly ridiculed imagine what the reaction would be if I stuck up Bielsa's name for example. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

It's not a stupid question but I'm not sure there's a sensible answer.

I've often wondered why playing at home is such an advantage in the lower leagues at least. The pitches have to be within a certain size and, I think, they are mostly of a reasonable standard. Also, when you're only playing in front of a few thousand, the crowd shouldn't really make that much difference to a professional footballer.

I wonder what would happen if LR approached the Cambridge game exactly the same as if we were playing them at home? Of course there is the variable that Cambridge will set up differently.

I can't help but think, often,it's just a psychological thing but then, I've never been a professional footballer or a coach. ?

I’ve seen somewhere , and I’m afraid I can’t remember where or I’d reference it, that it pertains to pitch size.
Where the pitch sizes are similar, the away record tends to be a much closer match to the home record. 
While pitches must be within certain limits, the permutations within those limits can be quite diverse. Some pitches are long and narrow, others almost square. You can see how that would have an effect on a team. 
The layout of the stadium wasn’t mentioned in that analysis, but you can see how that could have an effect too on perception of distance that might affect passing accuracy/weight. 

25 minutes ago, ck- said:

I’ve seen somewhere , and I’m afraid I can’t remember where or I’d reference it, that it pertains to pitch size.
Where the pitch sizes are similar, the away record tends to be a much closer match to the home record. 
While pitches must be within certain limits, the permutations within those limits can be quite diverse. Some pitches are long and narrow, others almost square. You can see how that would have an effect on a team. 
The layout of the stadium wasn’t mentioned in that analysis, but you can see how that could have an effect too on perception of distance that might affect passing accuracy/weight. 

image.thumb.png.3c98852b7148b27e0cb44fe6f13bd5f2.png

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Out of your list who would be better ? Other than Keith Curle obviously ?

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Again, I specifically asked for no discussion so how is it a shooting gallery or give you the opportunity to be ridiculed?

I have been deleting anything but managers names.

You've tried turned it into something it's not, and that's on you, not the topic itself.

On 18/09/2022 at 13:42, ck- said:

’ve seen somewhere , and I’m afraid I can’t remember where or I’d reference it, that it pertains to pitch size.

There was a lot written years ago about Arsenal and Highbury along these lines. Small pitch, strong home record, but not so good on the road

it makes sense  

what also makes some sense is the suggestion that teams with lots of youngsters will fare less well away from home: The youngsters are less likely than  old lags to perform well in unfamiliar surroundings 

There can be various arguments about the Wycombe game in terms of whether or not we should have started with that formation, and whether or not the changes were forced on Rosenior. I'll be really interested to see how we line up next game.

What really heartened me and showed LR can learn and change and not be too stubborn, was that we didn't take any stupid short goalkicks across the six yard area. Thank goodness. I hope we don't see them again as a planned tactic.

As someone who longs to see players use their football brains and always try to wrong foot opponents, it's fine to take a surprise short goalkick if a quick-thinking player recognizes it will help catch the opposition off guard. But never as the default, while grinning opposition forwards line up on the edge of our penalty area ready to charge our keeper down.

On 18/09/2022 at 15:26, Tyler Durden said:

You tell me. Not meant to be aggressive btw there's enough names to choose from on there they all can't be gash ?

Could you tell us why you think the likes of Dean Lewington, Hayden Mullins and Sam Ricketts are better candidates than Rosenior. I'm genuinely curious. It can't be experience, that's for certain.

Edited by lrm14

1 hour ago, lrm14 said:

Could you tell us why you think the likes of Dean Lewington, Hayden Mullins and Sam Ricketts are better candidates than Rosenior. I'm genuinely curious. It can't be experience, that's for certain.

I threw about 20 names out there of managers with EFL experience who are all out of work.

Without trying to plumb the depths of ridiculousness by putting up Tuchel, Parker etc.

Original question still stands - are none of the managers on this list better than Rosenoir. 

Still waiting for an answer. 

On 18/09/2022 at 16:06, Kokosnuss said:

It was a mistake allowing people to select Rosenior in a thread titled "if not Rosenior" though tbh, made no sense at all.  Didn't warrant a meltdown, however.

Wasn't a mistake, just allowed those that still want him as manager to put his name down.

Made perfect sense when making the topic, still does.

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

You can see the posters point though?

Why not just turn it into a poll as that's what it ended up as anyway. 

I have already explained why, who would I put into the poll? I’m not capable of mind reading thousands of fans minds to collect a list of names to stick in a poll.

Hence the topic. A way of collecting those names, then we would have the options to include in a poll at a later date when needed.

You have been on here long enough to know that even a poll is never conclusive enough at the best of time with arguments over the options, try and crowd source the options and look what happens. Can’t win.

You appear to have opened the topic and taken it personally, I can’t apologise for that as there was never intention to irritate you,  we haven’t as far as I’m aware even exchanged views on Rosenior, I haven’t liked, laughed or used any reactions I don’t think on your posts?

My conscious is completely clear on the creation of the topic, if you don’t wish to put a serious name forward in the topic that’s fine, it’s not a requirement of your membership on here.

2 minutes ago, David said:

I have already explained why, who would I put into the poll? I’m not capable of mind reading thousands of fans minds to collect a list of names to stick in a poll.

Hence the topic. A way of collecting those names, then we would have the options to include in a poll at a later date when needed.

You have been on here long enough to know that even a poll is never conclusive enough at the best of time with arguments over the options, try and crowd source the options and look what happens. Can’t win.

You appear to have opened the topic and taken it personally, I can’t apologise for that as there was never intention to irritate you,  we haven’t as far as I’m aware even exchanged views on Rosenior, I haven’t liked, laughed or used any reactions I don’t think on your posts?

My conscious is completely clear on the creation of the topic, if you don’t wish to put a serious name forward in the topic that’s fine, it’s not a requirement of your membership on here.

I don't question for a moment you did create this to intentionally annoy me or ridicule my suggestions but thanks for making that clear. 

I just grow weary of the silly games on here which isn't directed at yourself. 

Anyway hope you have a good night.