David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

Fair play to McGoldrick, following his heart and not money to play for his boyhood club. If I was good enough, I’d love to have done the same.

Massive loss to Derby, he carried us a lot last season. Although, I doubt he’d have the same season again at 36. Will miss his class, guile and goals. Very tough to replace. Over to you Warne…

17 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Read his comments, you claimed Didzy is a Forest fan, in his own words he’s followed his heart, take your I told you so elsewhere 

okay know it all, he says he wants to RETURN to the club that brought him through the academy nothing to do with playing for notts because he supports them

i still stand by he is a forest fan, nothing about that statement changed my opinion on it. if anything it made me more sure.

3 minutes ago, alram said:

okay know it all, he says he wants to RETURN to the club that brought him through the academy nothing to do with playing for notts because he supports them

i still stand by he is a forest fan, nothing about that statement changed my opinion on it. if anything it made me more sure.

I don’t profess to be a know it all. I’ve read McGoldrick’s own words in a couple of interviews now, and the fact he went to watch them in the play off final, and come to a fairly well reasoned conclusion that he was being honest. Rather than your own suggestion that he’s a liar 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

EDIT - here’s a quote from Notts announcement;

“As you would suspect, David hasn’t made this decision for financial reasons. His love and respect for the club have brought him home and he’s going to be a talismanic figure as we commence this exciting new chapter.”

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added a quote from Notts website

27 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Quote from the article; 

McGoldrick said: “It has been a difficult decision for me to leave Derby County, but it has been a huge ambition of mine to play for Notts County again before the end of my career.

“I’ve been honest and open with both Paul Warne and the club about it in recent weeks and they’ve been supportive and understanding.

“If it wasn’t for the fact that I had the chance to return to Notts, it would have been a no-brainer to stay at Derby - regardless of interest from any other club. I really enjoyed working under the gaffer and his staff, playing alongside the lads and, of course, performing in front of the brilliant fans at Pride Park. I want to thank everyone for making me feel so welcome in the last year.

“I had a wonderful season with Derby and to score 25 goals and three hat-tricks made it such an enjoyable time, the best in terms of goals for me personally in the season, and actually made the decision such a difficult one. 

“I’ve had many conversations with the gaffer over the last few weeks and he really did do everything he could to keep me at Derby but, in the end, I have decided to go with my heart and return to Notts.”

He added: “I wish the club the very best of luck moving forward and I’ll be willing Derby on next season. They’re in good hands both on the pitch with the gaffer, Richie Barker, Matt Hamshaw and Andy Warrington, as well as off it too.”

What a bloke.

Absolutely gutted.

He will get Notts County promoted next season.

i pray we get out of this awful division ASAP, i dont think i could take notts or wrexham giving it the big one against us and worse yet forests under 21 side in the papa johns

warne needs to use his connections here, big work needed and clowes needs to give him absolutely everything he can

11 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Irreplaceable with the kind of budget we are playing with.  Hope Warne hasn't washed that bit of paper with his rovrum list on it stuffed in his jeans.  He's proving a top drawer to these players already on the books but seems we may be getting Rovrums reserve keeper so ying and yang .

This really is a total piss take.  McGoldricks comments are simply lip service.  Let's not forget he was joining a club on an absolute shoestring last summer, probably on a substantially lower wage then we have reoffered, has become player of the year and he's dropped a League.  The rest is fluff.   

So what does that tell u?

youve answered your own question as to why he left… work it out 

Well that’s a killer blow. League Two teams are a bigger draw than Warne 😂

We are so ducked. We’ll be lucky to get Matt Smith to punt it up to

Disasterous start to summer. McGolrdrick and Roberts were two signings we should have been making, and will prove very difficult to replace.

Edited by Millenniumram

5 minutes ago, enachops said:

Fair play to McGoldrick, following his heart and not money to play for his boyhood club. If I was good enough, I’d love to have done the same.

Massive loss to Derby, he carried us a lot last season. Although, I doubt he’d have the same season again at 36. Will miss his class, guile and goals. Very tough to replace. Over to you Warne…

Not sure it’s altogether quite that simple. Notts offered a two year deal whereas I head that we only offered one year…

I am not sure what Warne and Clowes could have done.

Sentiment trumps sense every time. Football is a sport of emotions and as we all know, there is no greater honour imaginable than representing your boyhood club.

On the one hand, McGoldrick will be a very big loss and on the other, this really gives Warne a chance to shake the squad up and bring his own players in.

I just hope we have been preparing for this eventuality for a while and haven’t been caught by surprise.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Well that’s a killer blow. League Two teams are a bigger draw than Warne 😂

We are so ducked. We’ll be lucky to get Matt Smith to punt it up to

Disasterous start to summer. McGolrdrick and Roberts were two signings we should have been making, and will prove very difficult to replace.

All efforts need to be on securing Roberts now, would be a big blow to loose them both.