New signings, who will be first...and next?

RoyMac5

2 hours ago, YouRams said:

I say the same but then think about it how many managers is that since he's been on the scene 4/5? That haven't given him consistent game time, is he not training well, attitude? Something's a miss because he looks like he could become a very good player as you say.

Cocu loved Sibley. My feeling is that, for all the plusses of Rooney's leadership of the club through dark times, Rooney bullied Sibley. He constantly denigrated young Louie, hardly played him and when Rooney did put him in the team it was out of position. He was never allowed a bad 45 minutes. Having good games didn't reward him with a spot in the team. It all seemed designed to knock Sibbo's confidence.

I would be horrified if Sibley goes. If he stays and we use him as we should, it gives us the best chance of promotion. But given Rosenior was part of the management setup with Rooney last season, this will now have become a very difficult relationship. If I was managing Sibley I would take the pressure off, pick him as the first name on the teamsheet in central midfield, encourage him to carry the ball forward at pace and tell him he will start for at least a dozen games in a row to give him chance to regain his confidence and make his mark.

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Cocu loved Sibley. My feeling is that, for all the plusses of Rooney's leadership of the club through dark times, Rooney bullied Sibley. He constantly denigrated young Louie, hardly played him and when Rooney did put him in the team it was out of position. He was never allowed a bad 45 minutes. Having good games didn't reward him with a spot in the team. It all seemed designed to knock Sibbo's confidence.

I would be horrified if Sibley goes. If he stays and we use him as we should, it gives us the best chance of promotion. But given Rosenior was part of the management setup with Rooney last season, this will now have become a very difficult relationship. If I was managing Sibley I would take the pressure off, pick him as the first name on the teamsheet in central midfield, encourage him to carry the ball forward at pace and tell him he will start for at least a dozen games in a row to give him chance to regain his confidence and make his mark.

Totally right.

I think Pearson, and or Rowett were like that with Will Hughes. Always played him out of position, and ruined him at Derby.

It proved to me what a poor manager Rowett really was.

The other thing with Sibley is he has been stuck between the 1st team and the u23s and not played enough for either, meaning that he just wasn't sharp enough when he got a chance - play him

At the end of last season, I looked at Louie Sibley and thought he could smash it in League One given the opportunity

Edited by SamUltraRam

30 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Agreed. Every boss likes to have a whipping boy, and for “Super Loyal” Wazza it was Sibley.Say what you like about Nigel but he always protected the youngsters.Football experts get paid thousands to spot talent and it’s funny how they are always inquiring about Sibley.

3 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

The other thing with Sibley is he has been stuck between the 1st team and the u23s and not played enough for either, meaning that he just wasn't sharp enough when he got a chance - play him

At the end of last season, I looked at Louie Sibley and thought he could smash it in League One

Everything about Sibley over the last 2 or 3 years has appeared like someone scratching around looking for form, trying too hard, not quite getting to the pace of the game, getting odd minutes here and there and generally not performing as he can often enough but then not being rewarded when he does. 

Needs a proper run of games to really find out one way or the other if he's not developed as he should or is the spark who can grab games regularly by the scruff of the neck. 

26 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Everything about Sibley over the last 2 or 3 years has appeared like someone scratching around looking for form, trying too hard, not quite getting to the pace of the game, getting odd minutes here and there and generally not performing as he can often enough but then not being rewarded when he does. 

Needs a proper run of games to really find out one way or the other if he's not developed as he should or is the spark who can grab games regularly by the scruff of the neck. 

This picture says it all. Our Forum members rated Sibbo 2nd highest last Saturday, just a few decimals off Jason Knight whose score of 191 made him MotM. Yet Sibbo only played a few minutes. In the picture Sibbo draws 4 opponents towards him {they perceived him as the threat} before he picked out Houri with a Will Hughes-esque, slide-rule of a forensic pass & wallop…eat my goal. So, I agree, play Sibbo and give him game time to get his sharpness back and watch him fly. Advanced midfield/forward and he will flourish because he’s got bags of talent, and an insatiable desire to punish teams. And to be fair to Wayne R, I think Wayne was being “hard” on Sibbo to shape his character and tame his tendency to lose his head which I do think Sibbo has to channel/manage/curb/control. Sometimes Sibbo’s head gasket blows and he has an over-aggressive blood rush.

6E49E74D-FAF4-415D-A089-CB669DE86D12.jpeg

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

But that goes back to my point, Wayne was an advocate of giving our youngsters game time so why did he seem to have that gripe with Sibley? And if it's true LR would let him go then they're seeing something we're not.

5 minutes ago, YouRams said:

But that goes back to my point, Wayne was an advocate of giving our youngsters game time so why did he seem to have that gripe with Sibley? And if it's true LR would let him go then they're seeing something we're not.

Yeah.

It can't just be as simple as that he wasn't ready. He's all of 20, not quite 21. But people like to see some sort of plot to make him look a bad player. He's started to look like he might be worth playing. I hope this is the season he starts to get some consistency. 

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah.

It can't just be as simple as that he wasn't ready. He's all of 20, not quite 21. But people like to see some sort of plot to make him look a bad player. He's started to look like he might be worth playing. I hope this is the season he starts to get some consistency. 

Exactly. No conspiracy. If Sibley comes from the bench he has to impress like he did on Saturday. Too many times previously he has not impressed. Simple as that. 

There's a lot of over analysing of Sibley for a thread about signings...

Is it not quite simple? He seems to be best as a 10 and we couldn't afford to play one under Rooney - most teams don't in a relegation dog fight - you play a DM (6?) and two CMs (8) - in tough games you may even play two 6s and an 8 - then you rely on your fullbacks and wingers to provide the break through - the little game time he got last year was on the wing / out of position because that's where Rooney could risk him 

LR started with two 8s and a 6 against Oxford and brought on his 10 later to replace an 8 and add more cut through - it worked - we won

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

This picture says it all. Our Forum members rated Sibbo 2nd highest last Saturday, just a few decimals off Jason Knight whose score of 191 made him MotM. Yet Sibbo only played a few minutes. In the picture Sibbo draws 4 opponents towards him {they perceived him as the threat} before he picked out Houri with a Will Hughes-esque, slide-rule of a forensic pass & wallop…eat my goal. So, I agree, play Sibbo and give him game time to get his sharpness back and watch him fly. Advanced midfield/forward and he will flourish because he’s got bags of talent, and an insatiable desire to punish teams. And to be fair to Wayne R, I think Wayne was being “hard” on Sibbo to shape his character and tame his tendency to lose his head which I do think Sibbo has to channel/manage/curb/control. Sometimes Sibbo’s head gasket blows and he has an over-aggressive blood rush.

6E49E74D-FAF4-415D-A089-CB669DE86D12.jpeg

Get your own photo!

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Didn't Cocu drop Sibley at the start of 20/21 after 3 poor performances in a row? 

Young players' form often goes up and down until they find their level. Not all of Sibbo's problems can be laid at the door of Rooney. It's great that he had a big impact last week but let's not put more pressure on the lad by making out he's suddenly the next big thing again. 

7 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

As for the next signing. Surley it has to be a right back? unleash Knight further up the pitch...

We need another CF imo 1st, Stretton’s now gone leaves us short down the middle. Lots of options out wide and Number 10 but only 1 number 9………then a right back 

With Collins, McGoldrick and Dobbin to fill one, or occasionally two, striker positions we should be OK. Rosenior must think so or he wouldn’t have let Stretton go out on loan.

I would say that RB is the number one priority, especially as getting one would free up Jason Knight to be played in or closer to his natural position.

I wouldn't be surprised to see at least another 4-5 players in before the end of the window. A couple of them being loans and others will likely have to be free transfers/out of contract players - depending on what we can do within our business plan.

Keeper, right back, striker and wide forward at a minimum. Extra cover in forward areas would be nice to have over a long campaign where you will need to utilise plans B, C and D etc.

Desperately need some competition for Wildsmith and the free options out there are few and far between. Pacy forward options are needed to compliment and give options against what we currently have, these are more likely to be youngsters on loan. Right back is a tricky one, we could do with some experience there.

37 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

With Collins, McGoldrick and Dobbin to fill one, or occasionally two, striker positions we should be OK. Rosenior must think so or he wouldn’t have let Stretton go out on loan.

I would say that RB is the number one priority, especially as getting one would free up Jason Knight to be played in or closer to his natural position.

We need another number 9 as cover and to compete with Collins...an out and out centre forward.......we are ok for number 10's.....

I'd be all over Todd Kane for the right back slot, not wanted at Coventry to cut their wage bill. Decent age at 28 (soon to be 29), lots of experience at Championship level. Definitely more of an attacking full back like Byrne was to get those crosses in for the strikers. With Coventry wanting him gone, perhaps a freebie deal like Collins was with Cardiff. Looking on Twitter it seems like Oxford fans think they're signing him so he's obviously open to dropping down a league.