Conor Hourihane - Signed 2 year deal

Caerphilly Ram

1 minute ago, BaaLocks said:

It does just feel a little strange, we are days away from going out of business due (primarily) to a spate of signings that we couldn't afford (Johnson, Butterfield, Olsson, Blackman, etc) and now we are signing the marquee name for the division. What happened to "we will need years to consolidate"? I mean, I don't want us to wear a hair shirt just to punish ourselves but at the same time this hardly feels like either learning our lessons or respecting the many creditors who have suffered as a result of our being in administration.

I know, I'm piddling all over your chips but it feels like the last thing I was expecting this week.

The difference this time around is that the club will be paying affordable wages within the agreed business plan, they won't be paying huge fees to their agents and all these deals are all without the ludicrous transfer fees being on free transfers. The names you mentioned are reported to have cost over £15m in fees, plus whatever agent fees and then mammoth wages. This time is different. 

3 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

It does just feel a little strange, we are days away from going out of business due (primarily) to a spate of signings that we couldn't afford (Johnson, Butterfield, Olsson, Blackman, etc) and now we are signing the marquee name for the division. What happened to "we will need years to consolidate"? I mean, I don't want us to wear a hair shirt just to punish ourselves but at the same time this hardly feels like either learning our lessons or respecting the many creditors who have suffered as a result of our being in administration.

I know, I'm piddling all over your chips but it feels like the last thing I was expecting this week.

If it fits within the business plan (and it has to otherwise the EFL will not sign off on it) then what is the problem?

Our squad is bare bones and we cannot rely solely on finding lower league gems for pennies, getting loans from mates and playing the kids. We have to bring in some form of quality, Hourihane could be that quality if we get a deal done.

Not sure I'm understanding the concerns raised about signing Hourihane. Free transfer, so we won't lose value on the player unlike the many over 25s we signed under Morris' ownership. Wages would have to be limited because of the EFL business plan. 

Desperately need an experienced midfield, him and Bird could work well together

As oppo fans keep gleefully stressing "all signings are subject to EFL approval" so, if the EFL approve them, they've got no reason to complain. 

TBH the more they whine and blub, more I'm enjoying it and, as long as we stay within the constraints that the EFL has imposed on us, I'm going to enjoy it to the hilt. 

12 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Blimey talk above depression post of the season 

1 minute ago, BaaLocks said:

If it was any other season, I'd agree.

The difference is, the EFL will be watching our moves like a hawk. There's a strict business plan in place, with penalties (see Birmingham City) if we go beyond it. We can't be offering silly contracts any more. I think the best evidence of this is that we've only signed both Cashin and Thompson - two players very highly rated by Derby - to only 2 year contracts. I can only imagine we'd have signed them up for 4 if we could.

As I put in an earlier post - this leads me to believe that these players are very likely to have had better financial offers, but with less of a chance of regular first team football. That gets a big thumbs up from me. These are the players that you want

15 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

It’s a fair point, but like your position with Russia I don’t think you are going to have too many others saying here here.

4 minutes ago, Crewton said:

As oppo fans keep gleefully stressing "all signings are subject to EFL approval" so, if the EFL approve them, they've got no reason to complain. 

TBH the more they whine and blub, more I'm enjoying it and, as long as we stay within the constraints that the EFL has imposed on us, I'm going to enjoy it to the hilt. 

It would be absolutely mental for the club to just go off and do deals and announce them publicly without knowing for a fact they are going to get approved by the EFL. 

If that scenario ever played out I would be absolutely astounded.

3 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

If it was any other season, I'd agree.

The difference is, the EFL will be watching our moves like a hawk. There's a strict business plan in place, with penalties (see Birmingham City) if we go beyond it. We can't be offering silly contracts any more. I think the best evidence of this is that we've only signed both Cashin and Thompson - two players very highly rated by Derby - to only 2 year contracts. I can only imagine we'd have signed them up for 4 if we could.

As I put in an earlier post - this leads me to believe that these players are very likely to have had better financial offers, but with less of a chance of regular first team football. That gets a big thumbs up from me. These are the players that you want

Is our wages budget not an overall cap against revenue? Would losing Lawrence on £37k a week to be replaced by Hourihane on say £12k a week not be permissible, providing we remain within the overall wages:revenue limit?

8 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Is our wages budget not an overall cap against revenue? Would losing Lawrence on £37k a week to be replaced by Hourihane on say £12k a week not be permissible, providing we remain within the overall wages:revenue limit?

If that’s the case we have got £90k a week spare in managers wages according to some clubs fans.

4 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

If that’s the case we have got £90k a week spare in managers wages according to some clubs fans.

Nah mate, 32Red were paying him direct - Derby will be worse off cos they have to pay for the manager now. Everyone knows it ????