Conor Hourihane - Signed 2 year deal

Caerphilly Ram

7 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Of course every team is a blend of skills, talents and experience, experience is normally gained by age and the number of games played

Paul McGrath was one of the best players I saw at the BBG and that guy could hardly walk ?? a sure sign that experience is a contributing factor in the making of a good player.

The reason Hansen’s remark came to bite him in the backside was he had overlooked that a balanced team has a blend of youth and experience in it. 

I did indeed miss your point, sorry.
My post was meant more openly than purely as a response to yourself. I’d love us to be scouting and signing up exciting young players on 3, 4 or 5 year deals to entertain us on the pitch in the short term and sell on for big bucks down the line. I think long term that should be the sustainable approach to recruitment, utilising the academy as well. It’s just not where we’re at right now and it feels like some people don’t see that. Right now we need a squad that can compete at this level or at the very least avoid a second relegation in a row, solid experienced pros on freebies has to be a part of that. ? 

17 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I did indeed miss your point, sorry.
My post was meant more openly than purely as a response to yourself. I’d love us to be scouting and signing up exciting young players on 3, 4 or 5 year deals to entertain us on the pitch in the short term and sell on for big bucks down the line. I think long term that should be the sustainable approach to recruitment, utilising the academy as well. It’s just not where we’re at right now and it feels like some people don’t see that. Right now we need a squad that can compete at this level or at the very least avoid a second relegation in a row, solid experienced pros on freebies has to be a part of that. ? 

No worries, at least we agree that we agreed?

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just out of interest, I'd this team 'old' or not?

Wildsmith (26)

Byrne (30)   Davies (37)   Cashin (21)   Forsyth (33)

Bird (21)   LThompson (20)

Barkhuizen (28)   Hourihane (31)   Mendez-Laing (30)

McGoldrick (34)

Wycombe started 40 if their 46 games with older squads and still reached the Playoff Final. Sheff Weds also named a lot of old match day squads yet finished 4th.

Crewe, Wimbledon and Doncaster used the 3 youngest squads in the league... and all finished in the bottom 3. Fleetwood with another young squad finished just 19th.

I dont understand why you can't see we're building a balanced squad.

if we are building a balanced squad i will end up zipping it. 

but we are being linked to nobody that is on the up as a footballer. that is my issue here.

Just now, alram said:

but we are being linked to nobody that is on the up as a footballer. that is my issue here

That's because they generally require a transfer fee, and we can't pay one. If you've got a list of "up and coming" free agents available, I suggest that you send them to the club. 

34 minutes ago, alram said:

but we are being linked to nobody that is on the up as a footballer. that is my issue here.

26 year old Wildsmith has signed, he is going into his peak years as a GK

36 minutes ago, alram said:

Arguably, because most players 'on the up' aren't out of contract going into the final few weeks into the season. A lot of experienced pros who have been holding out for a better deal could fall into our lap, but young outstanding footballers are going to be contracted to clubs now. 

If, as we believe, we can't pay transfer fees then free agency and the loan market is all we have. 

No doubt we will be taking chances on a lot of young players to initially join up with the academy, such as Deji Sotona & Ryan Glover, so we could strike gold like we did with Ebiowei but those lads will have to bed into the academy first. At least we're staying a category one academy which gives us a chance to recruit some of the better players available at that age. 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Arguably, because most players 'on the up' aren't out of contract going into the final few weeks into the season. A lot of experienced pros who have been holding out for a better deal could fall into our lap, but young outstanding footballers are going to be contracted to clubs now. 

If, as we believe, we can't pay transfer fees then free agency and the loan market is all we have. 

No doubt we will be taking chances on a lot of young players to initially join up with the academy, such as Deji Sotona & Ryan Glover, so we could strike gold like we did with Ebiowei but those lads will have to bed into the academy first. At least we're staying a category one academy which gives us a chance to recruit some of the better players available at that age. 

There's an 18 year old forward who rejected an offer at West Ham after scoring 10 in 20 last season. Leeds, Spurs and surely many others are in for him, but we could use Plange as an example.

Karamoko Dembele has left Celtic but has apparently agreed a move to France.

Also Lewis Gibson and Ben Woodburn available. Gibson's very injury prone so would fit in well. Woodburn could offer competition on the left wing and playing off a CF.

Other than those, there aren't many better than the likes of Sotona and Glover who we've already been linked with.

7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith (26)

McGoldrick (34)

Wycombe started 40 if their 46 games with older squads and still reached the Playoff Final. Sheff Weds also named a lot of old match day squads yet finished 4th.

Crewe, Wimbledon and Doncaster used the 3 youngest squads in the league... and all finished in the bottom 3. Fleetwood with another young squad finished just 19th.

That seems like a bloody good first 11 for League 1 to me, would expect us to be in and around autos with that team 

The depth may be the issue but a few youngsters breaking through like Ibrahim, Clarke and MGP and we might be ok 

15 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Hearing this one is very close, unless someone can trump our offer 

What’s your source on this?

I have heard you come out with a bunch of stuff that sounds very much like guesswork, with a caveat attached to it as cover.

Tell us about a player who hasn’t been linked that’s coming.

Here’s one: I hear we’re looking at bringing in Romaine Sawyers, but he is expecting several offers on the table.

(Not ITK)

Edited by maydrakin

16 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith (26)

McGoldrick (34)

I want Sibley playing off a decent centre forward 

1 hour ago, maydrakin said:

I have heard you come out with a bunch of stuff that sounds very much like guesswork, with a caveat attached to it as cover.

Here’s one: I hear we’re looking at bringing in Romaine Sawyers, but he is expecting several offers on the table.

(Not ITK)

Its like the one on Twitter now about Burnley being interested in Knight.

That pretend ITK with the green colour on it says:

"Burnley interest in Knight is real, no official contact yet but bids expected"...how do they know its genuine if there hasn't been any contact? 

1 hour ago, maydrakin said:

(Not ITK)

Don’t expect an answer mate. Dave Lee Travis knows more inside information than Big Trav.