Conor Hourihane - Signed 2 year deal

Caerphilly Ram

Did a lot better for Villa than I remember. Some decent assists/set pieces and seems to have a knack of being in the right place to grab a few goals. Hopefully dropping down a division will see him regain that form.

1 minute ago, Rample said:

Did a lot better for Villa than I remember. Some decent assists/set pieces and seems to have a knack of being in the right place to grab a few goals. Hopefully dropping down a division will see him regain that form.

Think he cost Villa about 550k which was a steal.  I have no idea why we didn't compete for him at that price at the time.  Still find it odd he would rock up here.  We'll see.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Think he cost Villa about 550k which was a steal.  I have no idea why we didn't compete for him at that price at the time.  Still find it odd he would rock up here.  We'll see.

We already had Thorne, Baird, Hughes, Butterfield, Johnson and Bryson, with Hanson, Elsnik and Guy on the fringes. Then added de Sart on loan to cover for DM injuries. There wasn't space to add Hourihane too.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We already had Thorne, Baird, Hughes, Butterfield, Johnson and Bryson, with Hanson, Elsnik and Guy on the fringes. Then added de Sart on loan to cover for DM injuries. There wasn't space to add Hourihane too.

Better than all these though. Baird was full back thinking about it. In midfield he was pretty toilet. 

3 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Last time  we paid silly transfer fees, and issued long term contracts for silly wages. This time we are paying no transfer fees , issuing only 1 or 2 year contracts and not paying silly wages (in fact I think wages are subject to a wage cap) . So this time is about as different from last time as it is possible to get.  Are you seriously suggesting otherwise?

I'm asking the question, as many are. Thank you for your explanation - appreciated.

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I guess the problem is that this time last week we nearly went bust. But I get the point, only a small handful know if this is prudent and sensible and I agree that the likes of the EFL will be watching this with a lot of interest. That said, if I was the local catering company who'd just lost a chunk of cash not sure I'd be whooping this up as the rise of the phoenix.

Just offering a different perspective, what if you are the local catering company knowing you’re going to get some of what you’re owed rather than none of it, and also that you now have the opportunity to generate more revenue from the club surviving? 

Suppose those local businesses are able to say “what happened to us under the previous so and so isn’t fair, AND I’m going to make sure to make the most of my opportunity now there’s a new owner of the club that had previously helped generate revenue for me and the local area” 

Caution is sensible I guess, we’re under restrictions that essentially enforce caution according to the EFL, but caution doesn’t have to equal pessimism. We’ve just got to wait and see. 

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Just offering a different perspective, what if you are the local catering company knowing you’re going to get some of what you’re owed rather than none of it, and also that you now have the opportunity to generate more revenue from the club surviving? 

Suppose those local businesses are able to say “what happened to us under the previous so and so isn’t fair, AND I’m going to make sure to make the most of my opportunity now there’s a new owner of the club that had previously helped generate revenue for me and the local area” 

Caution is sensible I guess, we’re under restrictions that essentially enforce caution according to the EFL, but caution doesn’t have to equal pessimism. We’ve just got to wait and see. 

And let's hope that is the case for many, if not most of the companies associated. Also, if we come out of this without the additional fifteen point penalty that does suggest most creditors have been paid at least in part (as I understand it).

And I'm delighted we're signing great players, nobody on here wants us to go through what Bolton went through where they had kids from their U19s needing counselling to cope with the pressure of getting battered every week put them through - some of them probably lost their careers through that experience.

Look, I'm not saying we shouldn't be doing it - though some might like to put those words in my mouth. I'm just saying it isn't what I was expecting the week after coming out of administration.