Conor Hourihane - Signed 2 year deal

Caerphilly Ram

27 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

We should be OK, just as long as we stock up on Werther's Originals and install a few beds in the changing room. The rate we're going the lads won't need a half time team talk they'll need an afternoon nap! 

We’ve signed a 26, 28 and 30 year old. Hourihane is 31. Hardly knocking on retirements door ffs ?

The one person almost everyone wants to re-sign is 37 year old Curtis Davies who played every minute last season in the championship. 

1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

We’ve signed a 26, 28 and 30 year old. Hourihane is 31. Hardly knocking on retirements door ffs ?

The one person almost everyone wants to re-sign is 37 year old Curtis Davies who played every minute last season in the championship. 

Errrrrrm, OK? I think you may have overreacted, perhaps just a teensy little bit to something said entirely in jest!

That said, if we did  sign all of the players we're rumoured to be after, and kept the ones we want to keep, we'd be able to put out a starting 11 with a combined age of 360! (364 by Christmas)

Wildsmith (28)

Bryne (30) Stearman (34*) Davies (37) Forsyth (33)

Mendez-Laing (30) Hourihane (31) McDonald (33*)  Johnson (35)

Kazim-Richards (35) McGoldrick (34*)

*players with birthdays before the year is out,

Edited by Coconut's Beard

53 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Errrrrrm, OK? I think you may have overreacted, perhaps just a teensy little bit to something said entirely in jest!

That said, if we did  sign all of the players we're rumoured to be after, and kept the ones we want to keep, we'd be able to put out a starting 11 with a combined age of 360! (364 by Christmas)

Wildsmith (28)

I promise to pay all remaining fees for Bielik if we ever see that starting 11.

3 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Wildsmith (28)

all that is striking me about everyones nonchaladent approach to the players we are being linked with is how easy they think league one will be. it is simply not the case at all. we will not compete for promotion with a team full of old men.

12 minutes ago, alram said:

all that is striking me about everyones nonchaladent approach to the players we are being linked with is how easy they think league one will be. it is simply not the case at all. we will not compete for promotion with a team full of old men.

Just out of interest, I'd this team 'old' or not?

Wildsmith (26)

Byrne (30)   Davies (37)   Cashin (21)   Forsyth (33)

Bird (21)   LThompson (20)

Barkhuizen (28)   Hourihane (31)   Mendez-Laing (30)

McGoldrick (34)

Wycombe started 40 if their 46 games with older squads and still reached the Playoff Final. Sheff Weds also named a lot of old match day squads yet finished 4th.

Crewe, Wimbledon and Doncaster used the 3 youngest squads in the league... and all finished in the bottom 3. Fleetwood with another young squad finished just 19th.

I dont understand why you can't see we're building a balanced squad.

16 minutes ago, alram said:

It’s a well known fact that “ you win nothing with kids”. ??????

One of those lines that came back to bite Hansen in the rear

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

30 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just out of interest, I'd this team 'old' or not?

Wildsmith (26)

Byrne (30)   Davies (37)   Cashin (21)   Forsyth (33)

Bird (21)   LThompson (20)

Barkhuizen (28)   Hourihane (31)   Mendez-Laing (30)

McGoldrick (34)

Wycombe started 40 if their 46 games with older squads and still reached the Playoff Final. Sheff Weds also named a lot of old match day squads yet finished 4th.

Crewe, Wimbledon and Doncaster used the 3 youngest squads in the league... and all finished in the bottom 3. Fleetwood with another young squad finished just 19th.

I dont understand why you can't see we're building a balanced squad.

Think it's called blindly sticking to a preconceived agenda, despite clear evidence to the contrary.

41 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

It’s a well known fact that “ you win nothing with kids”. ??????

One of those lines that came back to bite Hansen in the rear

Yeah but even that United side in 95/96 had some experienced pros playing alongside the kids. Schmeichel, Bruce, Pallister, Irwin, Cantona, even Lee Sharpe and Roy Keane were a couple of years into their professional careers at that point. 
As others have said it’s about balance, a blend in the squad of some of the 19-21 year old youths (Cashin, Sibley, Bird, Thommo), some older heads coming towards the end of their careers (Davies, CKR, Stearman) and some in between (Barkhuizen, NML, Hourihane if he signs) is what we need. Ideally we’ll add a couple in that mid 20s bracket as well.

We have to be realistic about the situation, it’s a rebuild job at the moment and as much as we want a long term vision for the club there has to be some short-termism that we accept, partly because it seems from yesterday’s announcements that 2 years is the contract limit we have to work with. We’re not going to sign anyone on lengthy deals to maximise their resale value as it seems we cannot do so, the furthest forward we can look at the moment is maybe 3 years, immediate focus on this season, mid term focus on next and long term vision on 3 years time until such point as we are out of these restrictions. 

25 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yeah but even that United side in 95/96 had some experienced pros playing alongside the kids. Schmeichel, Bruce, Pallister, Irwin, Cantona, even Lee Sharpe and Roy Keane were a couple of years into their professional careers at that point. 
As others have said it’s about balance, a blend in the squad of some of the 19-21 year old youths (Cashin, Sibley, Bird, Thommo), some older heads coming towards the end of their careers (Davies, CKR, Stearman) and some in between (Barkhuizen, NML, Hourihane if he signs) is what we need. Ideally we’ll add a couple in that mid 20s bracket as well.

We have to be realistic about the situation, it’s a rebuild job at the moment and as much as we want a long term vision for the club there has to be some short-termism that we accept, partly because it seems from yesterday’s announcements that 2 years is the contract limit we have to work with. We’re not going to sign anyone on lengthy deals to maximise their resale value as it seems we cannot do so, the furthest forward we can look at the moment is maybe 3 years, immediate focus on this season, mid term focus on next and long term vision on 3 years time until such point as we are out of these restrictions. 

Of course every team is a blend of skills, talents and experience, experience is normally gained by age and the number of games played

Paul McGrath was one of the best players I saw at the BBG and that guy could hardly walk ?? a sure sign that experience is a contributing factor in the making of a good player.

The reason Hansen’s remark came to bite him in the backside was he had overlooked that a balanced team has a blend of youth and experience in it. 

Edited by Elwood P Dowd