How do we get a Manager to stay with the club?

Big Bad Bob

I suspect a significant part of the mess we are in is due to the number of managers we have had recently. We have had 12 managers in 10 years. Granted some were sacked, but the more 'successful' managers have moved on. I'm not a Mel hater or blamer. But think about it. Everytime a new manager comes in, the manager wants his own set up, staff and players. Each time the club has to back the manager and that costs money. When the managers of recent years have been successful, they have left - McLaren, Rowett, Lampard and now Rooney.

So the question is, how do we get the successful managers to stick with the club and drive it forward? 

Edit - Further to this, please keep the thread on topic and not turn it into a Mel bashing thread!

Edited by Big Bad Bob
Reason in thread body

Threee examples stick in my mind.

The Clough/GSE way of very steady progress

The Wilder at Sheff Utd way, which saw them rise quite quickly and reach a top half PL finish... but then actually consistently finish top half.

The Dyche and Burnely way, where they want promotion to the PL and then they're happy to just survive in the PL.

We sacked Clough, Clement, McClaren x 2 and Cocu under Mel. Maybe stop constantly sacking managers would be a good starting point. Rowett left because we couldnt back him and then Frank was offered his dream job and Rooneys faced never ending problems. Rowett was one of the first managers in our history to join another club rather than be sacked.

Its not going to be difficult to keep managers here especially if weve stopped with the celebrity merry go round now. And even if they are successful and move on its not a problem as it brings money in through compensation

Edited by GenBr

The managers whom have moved on in recent memory are Lampard, Snakey and Rooney.

Wouldn't say Lampard or Snakey were particularly successful though compared to Rooney then they are world beaters. 

Ultimately all 3 failed in the ultimate objective of promotion, at least Wayne has given us another crack at that albeit from a division lower than before. 

Good communication from top to bottom.

An academy to produce and pick up released youngsters and turn a profit.

Trust from the owners and patience from the fans.

A bit like Nigel Clough early years, we knew we had to get the wages down below 10million and we all were in it together.

Very similar to last season, the new owner will need to get the supporters behind him and be under no illusions of the budget.

I would also add / suggest that we don't look to managers who deep down loyalties that lie elsewhere. Rooney with Everton and man utd and lampard with Chelsea. I don't think their hearts were really ever in it and dcfc manager spot was a means to an end. 

Its heartbreaking as a dcfc fan when you see a modicum of success and you think that the manager can build on it to then leave. 

Manager turnover is probably as high as it has been since I've been watching football. We are sadly in no-mans land and have slid into the League 1. If a manager cannot get us moving forward again at some stage within 2 to 3 years absolute maximum then you probably get sacked. If you do get us moving in the right direction then someone higher in the pyramid just taps up your manager and pays you enough to replace a couple of rows of seats. It's not just us, it's a phenomenon across the divisions. Very few managers stay with a team more than say 5 years.

Just taking the current PL. Other than Klopp and Guardiola there is only one other PL manager that has made it to 4 years yet and a shocking 50% have been in charge less than a year. Conclusion. Be top of the tree and win loads of stuff and you might make it past 5 years... possibly. Madness ?

12 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The managers whom have moved on in recent memory are Lampard, Snakey and Rooney.

Wouldn't say Lampard or Snakey were particularly successful though compared to Rooney then they are world beaters. 

Ultimately all 3 failed in the ultimate objective of promotion, at least Wayne has given us another crack at that albeit from a division lower than before. 

The Lampard one was just unlucky. In normal circumstances the manager of Derby who finishes 6th doesn't get the Chelsea job. 

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We were relegated under Rooney which I don't class as particularly successful....

However most of this has been down to Mel's meddling in one way or another.

We can hopefully settle down now he's put of the picture.

We hope you aren't suggesting that Rooney was in any way responsible for our relegation.

We finished on 55 points with a threadbare squad.

The EFL stole 21 points off us.

A remarkable achievement by Wayne IMHO.

Keep the faith!

7 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Appoint managers with a similar style so, when one goes, another can take over without a full revamp of the squad.

Look at the different styles of Lampard and Rowett as an example of what I mean.

This is the model we need to adopt. The recruitment of players would also be centered around this with DOF in charge. Derby as a club has a history of good football. The irony is that Mel appointed several managers all with different ideas and then complained that they weren't playing 'the Derby way.'

31 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I would also add / suggest that we don't look to managers who deep down loyalties that lie elsewhere. Rooney with Everton and man utd and lampard with Chelsea. I don't think their hearts were really ever in it and dcfc manager spot was a means to an end. 

Its heartbreaking as a dcfc fan when you see a modicum of success and you think that the manager can build on it to then leave. 

I'm sorry but if you thought Rooney's heart wasn't in it, I have to disagree. 

I understand that people are disappointed that he's left now  but don't re-write history.

The only way to keep a manager at the club, is for football to have a major culture change. Unless a club is successful, winning promotion or cups, fans will demand a new man. Even successful mangers playing 'boring' football are hounded. Alternatively, if you're lucky enough to get a good manager, he is then  likely to get poached by a bigger and/or better paying club.

I think that this is where we hope that when an ex-player becomes the manager, he will show some loyalty to the club, but the snake put paid to that theory.

24 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

This is the model we need to adopt. The recruitment of players would also be centered around this with DOF in charge. Derby as a club has a history of good football. The irony is that Mel appointed several managers all with different ideas and then complained that they weren't playing 'the Derby way.'

Although wasn't there a suggestion that one or two told porkies at interview as to their intentions? ?

Successful managers will always be headhunted by teams higher up. That’s just the way life works. No manager is going to stay purely out of loyalty to the club. Clubs show no loyalty to managers these days, so why should they do anything diffident back? Might never get a chance to manage at a higher level again, so they have to take the opportunity when it comes up.

The only way we keep successful managers is if they’re so successful that they drag the entire club up with them. That’s what we’re always hoping for of course. But failing that, what we absolutely must do is make sure whenever a manager leaves, we replace them with someone who has a similar philosophy.

The constant mismatch of managerial appointments was Mels biggest mistake - building a philosophy across the club need to be Clowes top priority. Thats how this club will make a return. Clowes comes into the club with a pretty much clean slate, so he can choose whatever philosophy he wants with his first managerial appointment. He just needs to stick with it afterwards.