How do we get a Manager to stay with the club?

Big Bad Bob

25 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'm sorry but if you thought Rooney's heart wasn't in it, I have to disagree. 

I understand that people are disappointed that he's left now  but don't re-write history.

I think his heart was in the job for a time and the emotion that went with it. But deep down in his heart lies Everton / utd and we aren't able to compete with that. The dcfc managers job was a means to an end. I've no idea where Rooney will end up. Part of me secretly hopes the new owner will be installed and they will have a deep and meaningful conversation and shared ambition and will agree to stay. 

As already mentioned managers are pretty short lived anywhere. Derby haven't helped themselves with Morris's increasing desire for the quick fix, sacking a bunch of managers who barely had any time and this concept of the "Derby way". Celebrity managers too have also added to the turn over. Joe Bloggs takes over Derby in 6th place adds Mount, Tomori, and Wilson to the squad and then finishes 6th, he does not then walk into the Chelsea job. But any kind of success and the press start hawking them to other clubs because they want the money shot photo op of them walking out back at their old club and they want it now not in 5 years when it's in their best interest. Lampard for goodness sake said "You never know when this opportunity would come around again" I do, its Chelsea, give it 18 months.

But I digress.

1) Hire a manager, empower them and let them set the philosophy, Manager, not coach. Allow them to build a project, even with 1 step back to make 2 steps forward. We the fans need to be mindful of this too.

2) Avoid the headline grabbing Celebrity. I will admit I was utterly underwhelmed when Jim Smith got the job. A real "That's it mediocrity from now on" sort of thing. How wrong was I? The celebrity manager will be linked with ridiculously high profile jobs the minute they string a 5 game winning run together, and their "home" clubs manager is under any pressure. Talksport et al want these Celebs in the Premier and they dont care who they disrupt to get it. No matter what the celeb says it must disrupt them and the team (is the Feb curse linked to managerial silly season?), they do care about the club but their heads must get turned. A manager who sees this job, not what's next and they can because we are doing 1) as well. 

3) Linked with 1 & 2 the owner and manager should not be the highest profile people at the club. That should be reserved for the star players (so we can get a sum for them). If the manager gets credit the owner mustn't get jealous. 

52 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I think his heart was in the job for a time and the emotion that went with it. But deep down in his heart lies Everton / utd and we aren't able to compete with that. The dcfc managers job was a means to an end. I've no idea where Rooney will end up. Part of me secretly hopes the new owner will be installed and they will have a deep and meaningful conversation and shared ambition and will agree to stay. 

It obviously doesn’t lie with Everton as he turned them down and make no mistake if this mess hadn’t dragged on for 1.5 years with both his hands tied behind his back he’d have had us pushing play offs. 

2 hours ago, robglosta said:

It obviously doesn’t lie with Everton as he turned them down and make no mistake if this mess hadn’t dragged on for 1.5 years with both his hands tied behind his back he’d have had us pushing play offs. 

That's something we'll never know, with a bit of money to spend, who's to say that he wouldn't have wasted it on  'Blackman' or 'Anya' type players? He did well with what he had, but he's still unproven under normal circumstances. Who's to say that Derby's impressive home form wasn't down to the undying home support granted to the team last season, personally, I can't remember a season like it for unflinching support at home.

Hopefully, we as fans can learn from this and try to maintain a similar atmosphere in the future.

14 hours ago, robglosta said:

How do you actually know that though, it's sheer speculation on your part. You make your assertion as though it would have been a fait accompli. 

Rooney did well not to get us relegated the season before last when we had no right to be anywhere near the bottom 3 at all. 

17 hours ago, Big Bad Bob said:

Think there are two different things: 

- Rooney’s commitment to the job and to his squad both of which were excellent and inspired the players to give 100% week in week out

- his loyalty to the club which for me was never proven 

5 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Think there are two different things: 

- Rooney’s commitment to the job and to his squad both of which were excellent and inspired the players to give 100% week in week out

- his loyalty to the club which for me was never proven 

You honestly don't believe he showed loyalty to the club....seriously ????

I was “On board” with Mels plan for Cocu to use his experience to blood young players. He said he wanted to reap the reward of spending £20 on the academy. But then Mel paid £10 mill for Beilik and brought in Rooney. I feel sure D C will have a plan and stick to it , giving the manager a chance.

On 25/06/2022 at 16:41, Gritstone Ram said:

May be an option is succession planning within the club have your first team manager with the youth team manager preparing to take over when required. He will know and trained the youth players and hopefully most of the team will be made up of those players.

Nice idea, the fans can then abuse the ex-youth team boss if he dares to make a mistake.

Having supporters who don't act like self-entitled babies might help too. Home playoff "support" vs Hull was an embarrassment, for example.

Look how our incredible support really helped the team. More of that this season please, and forever more.

On 25/06/2022 at 16:30, RoyMac5 said:

Although wasn't there a suggestion that one or two told porkies at interview as to their intentions? ?

I certainly recall rowett publicly diagnosing how to fix our shortcomings which I think amounted to "needing more athleticism in midfield", before he then set about increasing the average age of the squad by about 12 years....... ?

Managers will always come-and-go and that's the nature of their role, especially at our level. 

You find a good one and teams higher up the food chain will pay them more and give them more money to essentially showcase their talent on a higher stage. You find a bad one and it's not long before every man and his dog is screaming for them to be sacked. 

I don't get the clamour for a 'proven manager' because there is no such thing, really. Managers that have been around for a while typically have done a couple of good jobs, with a few bad ones thrown in for good measure. A lot of it is out of their hands: recruitment is typically done by men in suits now rather than managers, even if they do get final say.