Curtis Davies - signed 1-year deal

YouRams

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I wonder if it’s as simple as making Rosenior permanent manager, obviously he’s been extremely vocal in that regard and he wants confirmation before signing up for another year?

It would make sense to me.

I would think other clubs in Championship might want him and are in a position to pay higher wages .

Just a thought 

21 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

You really can't, or shouldn't, compare a defender who's been around the block a few times and has a history of serious injuries to one of the top athletes of a generation who's kept himself in prime physical condition and never had an injury keep him out for more than 3 months. 

His age alone means nothing, sure, but there's a far wider context to consider. 

The Ronaldo comment was just flippant. I was just making the point that age doesn't necessarily mean a low wage.

And let's be honest Curtis isn't asking for close to half a mil a week is he. I just guess that he's asking for the max we are permitted. I would give him that based upon last year's performance. He would also br captain for me 100%

44 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I wonder if it’s as simple as making Rosenior permanent manager, obviously he’s been extremely vocal in that regard and he wants confirmation before signing up for another year?

That or length of the contract, surely.  As he said about better timing, it makes the future of Rosenior more likely. 

53 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Think that is wise, don't want to sign under Rosie as first choice but then find someone else comes in and you're on the fringes.

I think Liam is nailed on though. The reason he is interim is probably due to them still working on and agreeing a structure around the role.

Could see teams offering him more elsewhere and the work around is we offer him 2 years in whichever way, shape or form at lower weekly salary.

Give him 2 years with some coaching and mentoring responsibilities. 
Any young player would benefit from having  someone like Davies around. 
A great role model and one of the best players in the Championship last season, it’s a no brainer unless another club offers him a similar deal on huge money. 

Can we not offer Curtis our wage cap max for being a player... then same again for being captain... and another for trainee coach?  Surely 3 separate contracts is ok?

There must be a way around these rules.  Just need those in charge to be a bit cleverer, and think outside the box a bit more! 
After all, what harm can it do!

???

11 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Can we not offer Curtis our wage cap max for being a player... then same again for being captain... and another for trainee coach?  Surely 3 separate contracts is ok?

There must be a way around these rules.  Just need those in charge to be a bit cleverer, and think outside the box a bit more! 
After all, what harm can it do!

???

Who do you think you are, Mel Morris? ?

3 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Give Curtis the contract he wants , give him the captaincy, give him a coaching role , give him media work , ffs give him the keys to the city , just get him signed up , the guys a legend

I'm a massive fan of Davies as a player and a pro but there has to be limits and heavily over-committing to a contract for one player leaves us short elsewhere and we simply don't have enough players as it stands so we need to bring people in. Flexibility on media work and coaching is less of a problem but if his demands are structure-breaking then I don't see that we'd have much choice but to move on. Hopefully DCFC and Davies are talking similar numbers and its just some fine detail over non-money issues.

Curtis is a smart bloke, he must surely know roughly what sort of budget we have available.

Assuming his demands aren't too outlandish, pay him what he wants.  The guy is a leader and inspiration to the younger players in the squad and will imho add value to Cashin etc both in terms of ability and professionalism.  If he wants to get into coaching after he hangs up his boots, we could do a lot worse than give him an opportunity.

#announcecurtis

8 hours ago, jono said:

Yet we expect “loyalty” from players ?

No you shouldn’t but “top” wages are now a different thing. We must be talking about the difference between 3k a week and 4K a week. Not 10k and 20k - those days are gone

Being ever present at 38 in the modern game is remarkable in itself, doing it at 38 is staggering. Doing the right thing by Curtis is a moral imperative and simply gentlemanly conduct in my book. Within the limits of what the EFL allow us to do and what Curtis wants we should do everything possible. In the same breath I’d also expect Curtis to be making rational requests which I am sure he is, considering how he has conducted himself as a Derby player. 

I don’t really believe in loyalty in football. We expect loyalty from players and managers, yet a run of say ten games without a win and they’re booed, not fit to wear the shirt and called to be dumped.

It depends on the situation with Curtis Davies. We really don’t know what the hold up is.

But Derby as a club need to be financially better run. We can’t go giving out top wages or wages beyond our means. We are in this mess to begin with because we spent way too much money on wages on players with no re-sale value. Davies was one of them.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don’t really believe in loyalty in football. We expect loyalty from players and managers, yet a run of say ten games without a win and they’re booed, not fit to wear the shirt and called to be dumped.

It depends on the situation with Curtis Davies. We really don’t know what the hold up is.

But Derby as a club need to be financially better run. We can’t go giving out top wages or wages beyond our means. We are in this mess to begin with because we spent way too much money on wages on players with no re-sale value. Davies was one of them.

We paid £500k due to a release clause. We could have sold him at a profit even at 33.

4 minutes ago, Rample said:

We paid £500k due to a release clause. We could have sold him at a profit even at 33.

We bought an ageing player on high Championship wages with the aim of getting promoted that season.

That was Gary Rowett’s doing. One roll of the dice then he dumped us.

Davies then became a squad player during Lampard’s season and only came back in under Cocu because of Keogh’s fall from grace. Yet he was still on top end Championship wages despite not being part of a side pushing for promotion anymore.

We basically spent some £6m on fees + wages on Davies for one shot at promotion under Rowett. Sorry but that is horrible business and something the club needs to learn from.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

We bought an ageing player on high Championship wages with the aim of getting promoted that season.

That was Gary Rowett’s doing. One roll of the dice then he dumped us.

Davies then became a squad player during Lampard’s season and only came back in under Cocu because of Keogh’s fall from grace. Yet he was still on top end Championship wages despite not being part of a side pushing for promotion anymore.

We basically spent some £6m on fees + wages on Davies for one shot at promotion under Rowett. Sorry but that is horrible business and something the club needs to learn from.

Can't blame Davies for Rowett being a snake.

Looking at what Davies did last season it's fair to say he could have been a decent player the 18 months he was frozen out, and the wages wouldn't have been so much of an issue.

Also he literally took around about a million pound drop in wages last year to re-sign for us.

Can't say that players like Lawrence really got us anywhere. Signed aged 23 for £5m, should be a great example of resale but even before pubgate we would likely have knocked a few million off that. In the end add that to £8m or so in wages and Curtis isn't such a bad deal afterall.

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Looking at what Davies did last season it's fair to say he could have been a decent player the 18 months he was frozen out, and the wages wouldn't have been so much of an issue.

Also he literally took around about a million pound drop in wages last year to re-sign for us.

Can't say that players like Lawrence really got us anywhere. Signed aged 23 for £5m, should be a great example of resale but even before pubgate we would likely have knocked a few million off that. In the end add that to £8m or so in wages and Curtis isn't such a bad deal afterall.

It's a less crap deal as things turned out, but I can imagine if you're looking at each deal from the point at which they were signed, Tom would have looked "better value". 

Based on nothing more than assumptions that either he'd fire us to the Premier league or we'd sell out at a profit or cost. 

Our issue is that we have consistently delivered the worst case scenario in loads of players examples.... 

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Lampard left Davies as captain and signed Tomori as cheap cover. Davies was injured for the 2nd game of the season (Leeds). He struggled to come back and eventually ruled himself out for the season.

Cocu came in and signed Clarke to play alongside Keogh. For the style of play Cocu wanted, Davies was obviously 3rd choice, but only missed the first 8 games before returning to the starting lineup. He was even ill for a couple of those.

He was playing the full 90 in most games during 20/21, until injury ruled him out for all but the final game of the season.

Hardly 'frozen out' for 18 months.