Tom Barkhuizen - Signed 2 year deal

Dcfcsr92

2 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Any YouTube clips of his best 5 minutes and any goals he’s scored?

In other words is he any good?

I don't think he'll be dancing round 3 players and bending it in from 30 yards.  Has spent his entire career playing in the North West drizzle across 3 divisions- mostly championship- so the kind of campaigner that can do a decent job on the wage we can offer.  Another 6 like him and we should be OK.  Maybe a couple more depending who exits.

5 minutes ago, KBB said:

Happy with this. The fact that he waited, when Bolton were all in for him, is already a big thing for me. He wants to be here playing for Derby. Wish him the best of luck.

I've been thinking about this, in view of the players we've been linked with, maybe we're seeing a silver lining in last seasons horrors.

Players have seen how we support the team regardless, and wouldn't mind playing in front of fans such as ours, who backed the team no matter what?

Fantastic news to get Barkuizen through the door, could have easily got a Championship contract I’m sure. Brilliant signing, and great to finally be able to bring players in after the years of hell we’ve been through!

Welcome to the club Tom! Finally adding some depth up front, really good utility man to have.

Surprised it’s only a two year contract though, he’s not exactly old. You’d have thought we’d give him a three year deal, though I wonder if the EFL business plan restricts us to two year deals only?

Edited by Millenniumram

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Fantastic news to get Barkuizen through the door, could have easily got a Championship contract I’m sure. Brilliant signing, and great to finally be able to bring players in after the years of hell we’ve been through!

Welcome to the club Tom! Finally adding some depth up front, really good utility man to have.

Surprised it’s only a two year contract though, he’s not exactly old. You’d have thought we’d give him a three year deal, though I wonder if the EFL business plan restricts us to two year deals only?

I wonder the same. I agree with wage caps as I don’t believe we need or should be paying more than others but restricting contract lengths is continuing to punish us for our former owners actions. The vultures will be circling again soon. I’d have liked the youngsters to have been on 3 year deals.

1 hour ago, baiano27 said:

I wonder the same. I agree with wage caps as I don’t believe we need or should be paying more than others but restricting contract lengths is continuing to punish us for our former owners actions. The vultures will be circling again soon. I’d have liked the youngsters to have been on 3 year deals.

It’s too much of a coincidence that all the contracts are two years, and the business plan restrictions last for two years. We must not be able to hand out longer contracts until the EFL are sure we’re out of the woods. I guess it’s not unreasonable, but like you say it does put us in a difficult position again in a couple of years time.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it for now though. We’ve finally been able to make signings, and every club in League One has wage restrictions anyway, just ours will be tighter. We’re in a far better place than last week!

I remember another player we signed from PNE.

Archie.... Gemmill or something.

He wasn't too bad was he?

Hard act to follow but who knows?

(Wonder if Sunderland, Skelmersdale and/or Bradford Park Avenue have anyone for sale?)

Onwards and Upwards!

Edited by Brammie Steve