Biggest disappointment

dog

6 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Asanovic 2nd season

After his outstanding 1st season, I thought the move to Pride Park from the BBG would be ideal for him but alas, he went missing & left at Christmas

Imagine him and Eranio together ?

Eranio playing in his position was the problem.  Great player but his career indicates he was never one to fight for a place and was happy to shift his talent elsewhere.  Speaking 7 languages probably helped. 

12 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Anya.

Not just because he did nothing. But because I thought he'd be an under the radar brilliant signing we'd all come to love. I was wrong.

i recall a video of Anya showing how he was keeping in form, while on the beach on some sunny holiday resort and i thought, yeah, good man, keeping sharp, wants to prove, all fired up for next season, when i should have thought, now there's a con man in action.

Just now, ramit said:

i recall a video of Anya showing how he was keeping in form, while on the beach on some sunny holiday resort and i thought, yeah, good man, keeping sharp, wants to prove, all fired up for next season, when i should have thought, now there's a con man in action.

Was it is good as Bobby Duncans gangsta rap infused READY TO GO video from last summer where he was smashing goals past a 12 year old keeper. If he was ready to go can someone tell me where he's gone.

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Darren Bent.  Should have got 30 goals in this league but was barely fit enough to move more than 5 yards.

Think that's quite harsh! Got a goal every other game for us. Was never going to replace Martin in terms of holding the ball up, but he got goals!

There's so many it's hard to know where to begin... 

I was really excited with us signing Earnshaw as he'd done well for West Brom at that level and thought he'd link well with Jones. Chris Porter was another one that I thought we'd be able to fashion into something more than he eventually was. Anya just for sheer laziness took 300,000 pieces of silver for doing absolutely fu** all.  Lee Croft was another who I thought was going to be a solid player but didn't really amount to anything.

Raul Albentosa, had had a seriously good stint at Espanyol but he looked shocking for us. Cyrus Christie who could never decide when he wanted to cross the ball and has the positional play of a blind man. Although not a signing, I was always disappointed with Max Lowe. He 'looks' like a footballer in the sense he's tall, fast, has good control of the ball but my god defensively absolutely appalling... still think I've got ptsd from the 1-4 defeat against leeds where I could have had a better game.  

These are just the highlights and that's not really listing the gluttony of signings under Mel such as Butterfield who we spent fortunes on but gave us next to nothing in return. 

9 hours ago, Cisse said:

Francois Grenet. Big money spend and he was supposed to be a terrific player.

It was said when we signed him that he was only being kept out of the France national team as they already had Lilian Thuram!

Yeah right!

Edited by Carnero

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

It was said when we signed him that he was only being kept out of the France national team as they already had Lilian Thuram!

Yeah right!

I’m only being kept out of the French team because there are 15m better Frenchmen footballers..

And I’m not French… (Almost the same)

On 05/05/2022 at 19:58, Skin em Ted said:

'We've got Fabrizio... You've got eff-all-io!'

Ravanelli for me. Kinkladze also a contender... had flashes of brilliance but spent most time injured or on the bench.

I wonder if Baggio would have been another big name disappointment had he signed?

I've always thought that we got lucky that the Baggio deal fell through. Baggio was a wonderful player, but in my opinion England wouldn't have suited him professionally or personally and he would've flopped hard. I'm delighted we got Baiano instead, who was also an excellent player, but had the requisite Neapolitan grit to ensure he didn't get pushed around.

23 minutes ago, Anon said:

I've always thought that we got lucky that the Baggio deal fell through. Baggio was a wonderful player, but in my opinion England wouldn't have suited him professionally or personally and he would've flopped hard. I'm delighted we got Baiano instead, who was also an excellent player, but had the requisite Neapolitan grit to ensure he didn't get pushed around.

Baggio was world class who had a fine end to his career. I think he went to Bologna instead, but was brilliant for them and went to Inter Milan. He’d have been unbelievable if we’d have pulled it off. He would have been the biggest signing in our history. Baiano was great for the season and a bit though. 

Oh so many down the years.

Mikkel Beck - a short lived shocker, but shocker all the same.

Fabrizio Ravanelli - a goal every 4 games, but the expectations were for so much more.

Francois Grenet - at £3m one of the most expensive Derby County footballer at the time. Only managed 18 appearances and most of them were shocking.

Raul Albentosa - massive efforts made to sign Eibar's star player but made just SIX appearances for us.

Estefan Fuertes - loads of hastke over his paperwork for the £2.3m striker that made just 10 appearances and scored 2 goals.

Karl Otto Bragstad: Norwegian International defended who made just 12 appearances in his short stay.

And most recently:

Kamil Jóźwiak: major frustration as clear had talent and played well at international level. At club level always held on to the ball too long if he'd not already tumbled to the ground. One goal in 58 appearances.

And many many others: Robert Earnshaw, John Robertson, John Harkes, Florian Jozefzoon,Claude Davis...