Biggest disappointment

dog

As a collective the team that Cox assembled with Pickerings millions. Short, Charles, Johnson, Kitson, Pembridge etc. All had good Premier League careers, but didn’t gel together. Thankfully Jim Smith worked wonders so we didn’t miss out. Unlike Morris’s mistakes.

On 05/05/2022 at 17:13, JoetheRam said:

Recently - Andreas Wiemann. Looked alright at Villa in the Prem I thought. Turned into a bang average Championship player and did nothing for us.

He was bang average because we only ever played him out of position. Play him in his best position he scores goals, as Bristol have found out.

We’ve always done it: Will Hughes as DM (????), Chris Martin as a winger, Georgi Kinkladze on the bench, Lee Holmes on the bench or right wing, Simon Dawkins on the bench or on the wing. There are loads more, and its currently Louie Sibley’s turn for the treatment.

• 4 weeks later...

Obvious ones include Anya (and I was so disaapointed when others said "meh" before he'd kicked a ball), Jessie Lingarrd (I know he did ok after, was was pants in a Derby shirt), Jake Livermoore (didn't want to be here), Tito Villa, not pumping Paul Jewell out of the club the moment the 07/08 season ended.

Hard to look past Ravanelli in terms of sheer disappointment. Just looked completely ordinary and nearly bankrupted the club. 

In terms of the gap between expectation and reality, though, for me it was probably Claude Davis. Didn't know a huge amount about him but somehow convinced myself he'd be a really good Premier League centre back who we'd end up selling to a big club. (Never felt that with someone like Anya, who always seemed so-so.)

Edited by vonwright

3 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Hard to look past Ravanelli in terms of sheer disappointment. Just looked completely ordinary and nearly bankrupted the club. 

In terms of the gap between expectation and reality, though, for me it was probably Claude Davis. Didn't know a huge amount about him but somehow convinced myself he'd be a really good Premier League centre back who we'd end up selling to a big club. (Never felt that with someone like Anya, who always seemed so-so.)

(Honourable shout to Nigel 'Will get control of this club and get the egos sorted out' Pearson. Maybe not his fault but by God that didn't happen.)

Lack of investment from Maxwell- another 2 or 3 top end players we win something.

Losing to Boro in the FA cup semi final with Chesterfield waiting in the semi.  Fancy we would have won it that year.

Losing to a Leicester side that should have been down to 9 men in 94

QPR play off final was a s****** but always going to be a dog fight based on the games that year.  Worse for me was the ineptitude of losing our best midfielder in a nothing game prior to playing Hull who were dog s***.  That year was our year to go up. 

That 4-3 defeat to Everton when Gregory put Foletti in goal for his only game.  Without doubt the worst goalie appearance I've seen in a Derby shirt and if we'd won that one I have no doubt we'd have stayed up. 

49 minutes ago, vonwright said:

(Honourable shout to Nigel 'Will get control of this club and get the egos sorted out' Pearson. Maybe not his fault but by God that didn't happen.)

He told everybody on TV that apart from Bryson they were lacking effort and had delusions of grandeur regarding their ability.  After they were beaten at Burton I believe.  Then they went crying to Mel. 

Definitely putting owner ahead of any player, though we've had so many but Mel Morris wins hands down for me. He mortgaged our future when he had the opportunity as a benefactor to give this club real stability or direction. Instead, we are left scrabbling for pennies down the sofa.