Biggest disappointment

dog

A few names already mentioned, some disappointing as they didn't live up to expectations, some looked like the would but for injuries.

Bragstad - crying out for that stable solid centre half. Our last Scandinavian defender Laursen was excellent for us, he will do the job. Just as bad as Blatsis, but I expected more.

Toton Zola Moukoko - yeah alright I played Champ Manager.

Grenet - the second best right back in France (Thuram by the way), wasn't even the second best right back at Derby.

Candido Costa - the next Luis Figo. Gary Teale was closer to being the next Luis Figo than this guy.

Schnoor - nothing too bad but Jim Smith has a plan and can spot a player so selling Chris Powell and signing this guy must work out right?

Borbokis - see above only replace Powell with Delap.

Lee Camps dad - seriously dude stay off phone ins.

Lee Morris, one of the vaunted 3m club. Promised so much, was going to be one of the next generation of players to take us to the next level. That level was relegation.

Thorne and Strupar. I really like these two. Imagine if they had stayed fit. I am convinced that Strupars goals would have kept us up.  Also that a fit Thorne would have gotten us up.

10 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Not kicking on from two 8th placed finishes under the Bald Eagle and bringing in a lot of dross. We could have seen European football again with the right approach.

QPR play off final, if that team had been promoted, we'd be an established PL side now, I'm convinced.

This, although I was too young to really appreciate those two top half in a row PL finishes in the late 90s. I totally agree about the QPR final.

3 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Jim Smith having Emmanuel Petit and David Ginola lined up but Derby County not having the budget to bring them in.

On the Petit.  He was about 50 miles from Pride Park and ready to sign when his agent got an offer from Arsenal.  We did get in on Asanovic the year before mind.  Arsenal were quite non plussed when they tried to buy him mid Euro 96.  Not sure if we were in for Ginola.  He was in Derby a fair bit as he was involved in a business with Stuart Webb.  Might be we were though.

Derby 0 Man Utd 2 – FA Cup Semi Final 1976?

FA Cup Semi Final. Saturday April 3, 1976.
Derby County 0 Manchester United 2
at Hillsborough, Sheffield. att. 55,000

Derby County: G.Moseley, R.Thomas, D.Nish, B.Rioch, R.McFarland, C.Todd, S.Powell, A.Gemmill, K.Hector (F.Lee), R.Davies, L.James.

Man United: A.Stepney, A.Forsyth, S.Houston, G.Daly, B.Greenhoff, M.Buchan, S.Coppell, S.McIlroy, S.Pearson, D.McCreery, G.Hill.

Just back from a trip to Canada I paid well over the odds for a ticket in the Man Utd end ?

Go to be Philip Cocu. With his track record of playing for Barca and then managing PSV the possibilities were endless. Never really got going and was a pretty dismal disappointment truth be known and an expensive one at that. Only redeeming feature out of the whole sorry episode was him waiving his rights to compensation when he was bulleted.

Total antithesis of the Bald Eagle, when he was appointed was totally underwhelmed but look at what he went on to do with the club. 

55 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Derby 0 Man Utd 2 – FA Cup Semi Final 1976?

FA Cup Semi Final. Saturday April 3, 1976.
Derby County 0 Manchester United 2
at Hillsborough, Sheffield. att. 55,000

Derby County: G.Moseley, R.Thomas, D.Nish, B.Rioch, R.McFarland, C.Todd, S.Powell, A.Gemmill, K.Hector (F.Lee), R.Davies, L.James.

Man United: A.Stepney, A.Forsyth, S.Houston, G.Daly, B.Greenhoff, M.Buchan, S.Coppell, S.McIlroy, S.Pearson, D.McCreery, G.Hill.

Just back from a trip to Canada I paid well over the odds for a ticket in the Man Utd end ?

55,001 I climbed over the wall?

On 05/05/2022 at 19:58, Skin em Ted said:

'We've got Fabrizio... You've got eff-all-io!'

Ravanelli for me. Kinkladze also a contender... had flashes of brilliance but spent most time injured or on the bench.

I wonder if Baggio would have been another big name disappointment had he signed?

Are we still paying him off?

Izale McLeod

Not so much a disappointment when playing as I thought he looked brilliant and a real handful. Strong, quick and powerful, a real number 9.

Disappointed that we sold him for peanuts and he smashed the goals in at MK Dons. Been a bit of a journey man since then but if we gave him a real chance he could have had a good career at Derby. 

8 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Go to be Philip Cocu. With his track record of playing for Barca and then managing PSV the possibilities were endless. Never really got going and was a pretty dismal disappointment truth be known and an expensive one at that. Only redeeming feature out of the whole sorry episode was him waiving his rights to compensation when he was bulleted.

Total antithesis of the Bald Eagle, when he was appointed was totally underwhelmed but look at what he went on to do with the club. 

Yes, but he was hamstrung by Frank Lampard. Ge actually saw the squad fir the first tome part way into their pre-season tour in America, after all the decent players had already signed elsewhere. All he was left with was a motley assortment of “Oh well, you'll do” types. He didn’t have a chance, and then had some of the squad spiking his work.

18 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Yes, but he was hamstrung by Frank Lampard. Ge actually saw the squad fir the first tome part way into their pre-season tour in America, after all the decent players had already signed elsewhere. All he was left with was a motley assortment of “Oh well, you'll do” types. He didn’t have a chance, and then had some of the squad spiking his work.

Still, despite everything, he got us on the fringes of the play offs…..remarkable really…..