The Doomsday scenario - or - Frank does us over again

IslandExile

22 minutes ago, Naughty James said:

Would you be happy losing Rooney to them if we got "Lampard" back?

No.

Although not truly tested, but I think Rooney has more integrity than Lampard and, given what we've been through over the last 2 seasons, is better equipped to cope with League 1 and the players we're likely to have. 

10 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The only doomsday scenario is cK goes the way of Erik Alonso and the club is liquidated.

Semi-doomsday is Ashley comes in immediately prior to liquidation.

Rooney leaving would be a negative but something that can be overcome.

I agree with those above - if Everton make a straightforward offer of "be our manager" he'll go. He wasn't prepared to interview amongst a field of candidates whilst burning his derby squad when they needed to believe in him.

Have to agree WR would be gone if Everton came calling certainly if they do end up relegated,Now our fate as been settled he would have nothing to stay for and turning down a interview before makes him very much respectedful in my eyes to Derby players and all the staff

19 minutes ago, Rammeister said:

The problem is, that should Everton go down and Frank leaves, Rooney will be a prime candidate for a number of reasons including his ‘fresh’ knowledge of the championship.

FWIW, I don’t think he would go there yet, unless they promised him a great amount of cash to spend. I suspect Rooney had a career trajectory plan in his head that at this moment will look more like Steven Gerrards…i.e. Derby to a well run solid top half premier league side (like a Villa) then,  if he does well, Man Utd.

If he did go to Everton, I’m not sure that I think premier league egos will be too much of an issue, given the fact he was a far better player than all of them there, and I suspect he’d win a ‘shows us yer medals’ challenge.

I disagree and don't think Rooney would be a prime candidate other than for sentimental reasons. 

Yes, he has experience of the Championship but only in a "backs against the walls" scenario unlike a normal Championship campaign least of all a club full of over paid Premier League players that would hope to bounce back up.

As others have said, not as glamorous but Dyche would be a much better/safer bet.

24 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think I read somewhere that they don't have any wage cut clauses in their players' contracts in case of relegation. That's a massive oversight, as pretty much every club that's gone down in recent years has had them.

Its not an oversight - its arrogance. They think they are too big to go down, but they have messed things up big time.

I doubt the likes of Man City have relegation clauses either, but they are run a lot better than everton is.

Whilst I appreciate Rooneys loyalty and his ability to motivate the players through a very difficult period,I wouldn't be too concerned if he left.

There are very capable young managers out there that are just as hungry for success and may have more experience on the lower leagues,which may actually be better for us in league 1.

A football club is more than the manager or the current crop of players.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

There are bad things beneath the surface at Everton - some decent managers have failed to turn it around.

It looks like Frank is also going to be unable to turn the stricken tanker and keep it off the rocks.

I love what Rooney is saying about staying with us in order to rebuild the club. However, he has also said that he now feels ready to manage in the Premier League (the lad does not lack confidence).

I cannot really imagine Rooney turning Everton down for a second time. This time it would not be the "beauty pageant" as he called it last time when he didn't fancy being interviewed for the post - it will be a straightforward job offer.

And, whatever the squad say about wanting to stay, the takeover will not happen soon enough to keep the vulture agents from the door. Heads will be turned, contracts with other clubs signed and our squad decimated. The rebuilding process - for Rooney or anyone - will be a long one.

It gets worse. If Rooney is tempted to Merseyside, will CK follow through with his acquisition?  He has openly said that Rooney is a big part of the attraction. The presence of Rooney's agent (spelling: Strefford?) as part of the "gang of three" (along with CK and Cook) suggests the connection between CK and Rooney may be stronger than seen publicly.

So, if Rooney goes and CK does pull out, then it clears the way for the opportunistic Ashley to make a late, low ball bid.

Obviously that's better than liquidation. But I would feel a lot less enthusiastic about the future than I would be under a CK/Rooney leadership.

Let's hope it doesn't happen.

Come on Frank - save Everton and your job.

CK, get the deal done.

Players stick around and learn under Rooney.

Rooney deliver us from the bad times.

COYR ?

I too hope that CK follows through and doesn't pull out but now I've written that down it doesn't seem quite right for some reason. ?

Yes, Everton may well be in a real mess if they go down, but I think we may currently be in the biggest glass house in the history of the world if we think the perilous financial state of another employer would stop Rooney leaving.

It will be admirable if Rooney does choose to stay on here, but league 1 will be a slog for us initially. If I were his agent, I'd be pleading for him to take any port in a storm. His stock is high right now, but football is extremely fickle. A poor start in league 1 would negatively effect his job prospects.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think I read somewhere that they don't have any wage cut clauses in their players' contracts in case of relegation. That's a massive oversight, as pretty much every club that's gone down in recent years has had them.

I dont think thats too surpising, maybe a little careless but this is a side that hasn't finished lower that 12th in the last 17 years

14 minutes ago, curb said:

What’s the point of getting yoursen all worked up about something that probably will never happen?

Get a grip.

Have you read this - or any other - Internet forum?

The whole point of them is to fill our empty lives with idle chat, wild speculation and provocative ideas.

You grip whatever you like. I am merely passing the time of day with thoughts of what might happen. Good day to you.

36 minutes ago, Anon said:

Yes, Everton may well be in a real mess if they go down, but I think we may currently be in the biggest glass house in the history of the world if we think the perilous financial state of another employer would stop Rooney leaving.

It will be admirable if Rooney does choose to stay on here, but league 1 will be a slog for us initially. If I were his agent, I'd be pleading for him to take any port in a storm. His stock is high right now, but football is extremely fickle. A poor start in league 1 would negatively effect his job prospects.

As his agent is Paul Stretford and was partly instrumental in bringing CK to the table I'd doubt he'd be pleading with him "to take any port in a storm"?‍♀️

7 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

No way,why have lampard back, didnt take him long to leave us last time, think rooney is a better man manager than lampard ever was.

I don't want to be facetious...but it did, Spending time in the Med with his family and friends for weeks while we were wondering what his next move was, This greatly hampered MM in hiring Philip Cocu in time, He can do one as far as I'm concerned, It's only his boyish looks and being able to converse into a camera lens that has got him into management...yep I do not like him ? 

Let's look on the bright side.

Burnley continue their upturn in form. Everton, spurred by the sense of injustice and urgency of their situation, finallally get it sorted and string a few wins together.

This leaves leeds. Losing a narrow one at Palace tonight, followed by Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea, they fall away to complete a final day humiliation at Brentford and relegation. Nice.