What might have been....

IslandExile

Just listening to Rooney's Press Conference and the praise he has for the players - young and old.

I'm filled with anger at the current situation, frustration, but most of all with sadness.

They're a great group of players. Rooney, himself, is growing as a manager.

I'm sure the state of the club has helped them pull together.

But, nonetheless, I wonder what they could have gone on to achieve but, we're losing them, one by one at the moment, with Ebosele the latest to go. And Rooney is saying "the team will be ripped apart in the summer". That's because, in his view, Festy is the only one who would go abroad, so the others have to wait until their contracts are up in the summer so they can move to other English clubs.

It's heartbreaking to think what they may have achieved if we'd been able to keep them all together.

Even now, there is still a chance if a sale is made before too long. I'm just not that hopeful anymore. Tragic. COYR ?

15 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Just listening to Rooney's Press Conference and the praise he has for the players - young and old.

I'm filled with anger at the current situation, frustration, but most of all with sadness.

They're a great group of players. Rooney, himself, is growing as a manager.

I'm sure the state of the club has helped them pull together.

But, nonetheless, I wonder what they could have gone on to achieve but, we're losing them, one by one at the moment, with Ebosele the latest to go. And Rooney is saying "the team will be ripped apart in the summer". That's because, in his view, Festy is the only one who would go abroad, so the others have to wait until their contracts are up in the summer so they can move to other English clubs.

It's heartbreaking to think what they may have achieved if we'd been able to keep them all together.

Even now, there is still a chance if a sale is made before too long. I'm just not that hopeful anymore. Tragic. COYR ?

This was always the likelihood the longer this administration went on. The amazing thing is on the pitch we still have something to get behind, some excitement to the end of the season. I think many of us thought we’d be cut way adrift by now, credit to Rooney and Rosenior. It makes it more heartbreaking to see what’s happening because you know had we had a PB by now we could tie down some of our talent and next season we could’ve been a real force. If we can stay in the championship this is all salvageable, if we go down then this period in 2022 will set us back a few years.

The whole Ebosele debacle is shocking and seems to be completely counterproductive in supporting the admin process... losing such a talented player for free when he could have been locked down to a contract and potentially sold to support the financing of the club's debts is madness. Another EFL rooster up in my eyes - how can they not see this kind of double punishment only serves to push the club further into oblivion.

The other terrible thing with Ebosele is that the English game is losing another fantastic young talent to foreign leagues... yes Festy is Irish, but surely we want to retain such talent to play in the EPL/EFL as he's the kind of players fans pay money to watch...

4 minutes ago, San Fran Van Rams said:

The whole Ebosele debacle is shocking and seems to be completely counterproductive in supporting the admin process... losing such a talented player for free when he could have been locked down to a contract and potentially sold to support the financing of the club's debts is madness. Another EFL rooster up in my eyes - how can they not see this kind of double punishment only serves to push the club further into oblivion.

The other terrible thing with Ebosele is that the English game is losing another fantastic young talent to foreign leagues... yes Festy is Irish, but surely we want to retain such talent to play in the EPL/EFL as he's the kind of players fans pay money to watch...

Don’t worry, he’ll be playing in the EFL next season, at a club that’s virtually guaranteed to go up thanks to parachute payments.

Hope that makes you feel better, it doesn’t me.

25 minutes ago, San Fran Van Rams said:

Unfortunately this sort of thing will always happen in administration. As soon as Mel pushes that button, I expected half the team to go for peanuts. The EFL embargo of course is you’re right a double punishment but what can you do. Its on Mel Morris- think EFL have acted very poorly in the whole matter. Scared of Gibson and litigation possibly. 

14 hours ago, Cisse said:

If only we had scored against 10-men QPR at Wembley eight years ago. I'm still mad at Zamora.

Or what might have been if Bobby Madley hadn’t given Chris Martin a second yellow card for diving after he had been fouled in the penalty area. He would have either allowed the Derby goal to stand, or given the penalty. Most likely we would have won and jump-frogged Burnley into the automatic slots. We would almost certainly have been promoted directly, given our form for the rest of the season.

???????

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Or what might have been if Bobby Madley hadn’t given Chris Martin a second yellow card for diving after he had been fouled in the penalty area. He would have either allowed the Derby goal to stand, or given the penalty. Most likely we would have won and jump-frogged Burnley into the automatic slots. We would almost certainly have been promoted directly, given our form for the rest of the season.

???????

I will never never ever ever ever forgive Burnley now

49 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We should never in a million years have lost to Hull in the playoffs.  4-0 both games that season and 2-0 and a hit crossbar in the away leg.  Even not letting in the third in injury time in the home leg.  Sheff Wednesday in the final would have been tougher but think we'd have been too good for them. 

4-0 both games????

On 20/03/2022 at 02:37, Cisse said:

If only we had scored against 10-men QPR at Wembley eight years ago. I'm still mad at Zamora.

What if McClaren had brought Bamford on as soon as QPR had gone down to 10 men instead of doing naff all. What if Wassell had given players a rest before the play offs . Thorne Was a Rolls Royce in midfield.

What if Bryson and Hughes hadn't both got long term injuries right at the end of the transfer window. This led to the panic buys of Butterfield and Johnson together with their wages, which then started the spiralling out of control wages throughout the squad.

If those injuries had occurred a week later, we may have suffered that season, but I don't think we'd be in the position we are now.