What might have been....

IslandExile

On 20/03/2022 at 02:37, Cisse said:

If only we had scored against 10-men QPR at Wembley eight years ago. I'm still mad at Zamora.

Or O'Neil pulls out of his cynical challenge, and JR was clean through to score there and then, against the 11 men.  No need to be mad at anyone, QPR fans accept the fair result on the day... which it would have been... and we all live happily ever after!

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Or Frank Lampard hadn’t gave thrown the play-off final so he could go to Chelsea? Or if Frank Lampard hadn’t kept us dangling on a piece of string before announcing his departure?

I always thought he threw it, to be honest i always thought Rowett threw the Fulham game too, couldn't for the life me work out why he defendes for 135 minutes.

It will be interesting to see how far some of our young players go, and look back on the team we might have had if we'd have been able to keep the whole group together.

Have to admit there are a couple of our players that I think have a lower ceiling than other fans believe. I don't see Knight getting much better (his game relies so much on his 'engine'); Bird just doesn't seem likely to develop physically in a way which will enable him to influence top-level games. Feels like Sibley should have room for improvement but I've not seen much evidence recently.

Ebosele's an interesting one - I can certainly see him playing, and having an impact, at a higher level but I also wonder how he'll fare against better defences.

Of the players we've had to let go, I'm not 100pc what Chelsea saw in Williams and Plange shows glimpses but also disappears from games. What's happened to Morgan Whittaker? Doesn't seem to be tearing up trees.

If I had to put money on any of them it would probably be Ebiowei, who just seems to have a bit more to his game.

Overall if I put together all the young/U21 players who have played for us over the last couple of seasons, and imagine them as a team playing together in 4/5 years, I'm not sure what their level would be, but I suspect it's (upper) Championship.

Edited by vonwright

3 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Or Frank Lampard hadn’t gave thrown the play-off final so he could go to Chelsea? Or if Frank Lampard hadn’t kept us dangling on a piece of string before announcing his departure?

I do not think Frank Lampard as a person would ever throw anything in his life, if you cannot see anything else positive in him you must see that he has integrity surely ???????!!!!!!!!????

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I always thought he threw it, to be honest i always thought Rowett threw the Fulham game too, couldn't for the life me work out why he defendes for 135 minutes.

He definitely threw it. If Derby were promoted it would have been a difficult decision to leave for Chelsea and a transfer embargo. Lose/lose.

By leaving a Championship side with little to spend, to join a team where he couldn't spend (and therefore had an excuse) he was in a win/win situation.

And I think he's gone on to prove that he's out of his depth as a manager. How long has he been at Everton? already losing the plot.

22 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

I do not think Frank Lampard as a person would ever throw anything in his life, if you cannot see anything else positive in him you must see that he has integrity surely ???????!!!!!!!!????

Actually that’s the quality I thought Isaw in him shining out like a beacon when he first arrived. Whoops!

I watched him after the final - he spike with each of the players, then spent the rest of his time on the pitch circling the melee of people, looking at the Rams fans, and I knew then that he was gone, and had probably already left the club in his mind a while before. And I thought “You are not going to get this kind of rapport with the Chelsea fans”.

Actually Wayne Rooney has shown us all what integrity is with how he has acted as manager.

Lampard definitely got it very wrong in the final, but anyone genuinely holding the belief that he intentionally threw the game - or that ANY manager going into a game of that magnitude would throw the game - is off their head.

Even Billy Davies didn't throw our game against WBA at Wembley, and he wished it was Preston he was taking there!

Edited by Coconut's Beard

On 21/03/2022 at 08:50, jimtastic56 said:

What if McClaren had brought Bamford on as soon as QPR had gone down to 10 men instead of doing naff all. What if Wassell had given players a rest before the play offs . Thorne Was a Rolls Royce in midfield.

McClaren was on co-comms for Five Live a few years ago and was saying he was umming and awwing between ‘we’re playing well and look like breaking them down any minute’ and ‘get him on, might slightly affect the system but a major threat’.

He was going to bring him on for extra-time, he’d decided.

8 hours ago, BBG83 said:

He definitely threw it. If Derby were promoted it would have been a difficult decision to leave for Chelsea and a transfer embargo. Lose/lose.

By leaving a Championship side with little to spend, to join a team where he couldn't spend (and therefore had an excuse) he was in a win/win situation.

And I think he's gone on to prove that he's out of his depth as a manager. How long has he been at Everton? already losing the plot.

Talks about Derby 14:15-24.45. Interesting listen.

"It's the biggest regret of my career, that I did not get that club promoted." 

I like Frank, he's a man with a lot of integrity. He did not 'throw' the final although I think it was pretty clear he would be going to Chelsea. I don't really understand why some people have a problem with Lampard, we had a great season with him. I don't blame him one bit for leaving, he's a club legend at Chelsea.

9 hours ago, Bobby said:

Surely the biggest turning point was Clough handing in his resignation thinking the board would back down and then firing him?

It was certainly a sliding doors moment, though we did win another title under 2 years later. I think the sacking of Dave Mackay was similarly catastrophic. That was an unnecessary and disrespectful by another Chairman, George Hardy, who thought he was the most important person at the club. You could say that Clough, a few months after Mackay's sacking, deciding not to leave Forest and come back to Derby after giving the board every indication that he wanted to was even more decisive.