What might have been....

IslandExile

1 hour ago, cannable said:

McClaren was on co-comms for Five Live a few years ago and was saying he was umming and awwing between ‘we’re playing well and look like breaking them down any minute’ and ‘get him on, might slightly affect the system but a major threat’.

He was going to bring him on for extra-time, he’d decided.

The big mistake in that one, was not playing a midfielder whose link up play and goals had got us that far till the last 20 minutes for me and I have no idea why he brings on Dawkins for Russell when you need a goal and the only thing stopping you is Richard Dunne.

3 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Take over going through, a few more free agents, hanging on to Shinnie/Jags…

Any of those could have seen us out of this, such a valiant effort regardless. Would you be that surprised if we now won 4 in a row?

Yes, pleasantly.

3 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

If there were suitable replacement options for the players lost in Feb 2015, rather then. McClaren abandoning everything that had made us a good team until that point by singing Ince and Bent 

??

Martin was injured and he needed new strikers urgently...

Ince and bent did a good job,scoring a lot of goals in that period.

It's hardly easy to replace cm,we still haven't managed it 7 years on.

5 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

??

Martin was injured and he needed new strikers urgently...

Ince and bent did a good job,scoring a lot of goals in that period.

It's hardly easy to replace cm,we still haven't managed it 7 years on.

Hence saying if only there were suitable replacements, although we'll never know if there actually were any available and not chosen.

It's hard to replace CM's quality but that doesn't mean you have to go and sign a player of a completely different style with absolutely zero ability to hold the ball up and completely destroy the balance of the team.

They scored plenty of goals, nice for them. Didn't do us any good in the long term though, and in hindsight they should have left at the end of their loans.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

On 22/03/2022 at 09:24, DavesaRam said:

Or Frank Lampard hadn’t gave thrown the play-off final so he could go to Chelsea? Or if Frank Lampard hadn’t kept us dangling on a piece of string before announcing his departure?

22 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I always thought he threw it, to be honest i always thought Rowett threw the Fulham game too, couldn't for the life me work out why he defendes for 135 minutes.

Lampard went into the game with a 120 minute game plan. None of our forwards were fit enough to last more than 60 minutes, so Lawrence and Bennett to start, with Marriott and Waghorn finishing the game against a tired defence. 
It wasn't Lampard's lineup that cost us, it was a minor error. Also, I swear I remember McGinn saying he was expecting the ref to blow for a foul/handball.

Whoa!!! Wait a minute everyone. I cannot believe what I am reading?

Everyone seems to have gone off-topic. That does not happen on this forum, does it?

The topic was all about what might've been had Wayne Rooney been able to keep the current Derby County team together for a promotion push next season.

It was not about what might've happened if Juventus hadn't bought the referee off or if Tommy Docherty had never stepped foot in Derby or if Steve Mac had never left for ManU or if I had been introduced to Debbie Harry.

Thank you. As you were. I'm just off to play some Blondie records.

Edited by IslandExile

30 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Whoa!!! Wait a minute everyone. I cannot believe what I am reading?

Everyone seems to have gone off-topic. That does not happen on this forum, does it?

The topic was all about what might've been had Wayne Rooney been able to keep the current Derby County team together for a promotion push next season.

It was not about what might've happened if Juventus hadn't bought the referee off or if Tommy Docherty had never stepped foot in Derby or if Steve Mac had never left for ManU or if I had been introduced to Debbie Harry.

Thank you. As you were. I'm just off to play some Blondie records.

If only Blondie could have stayed like she was when first on Top Of The Pops