Rav Morrison

Comrade 86

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

So why not rail against the balance of the team too, since by your own stated metrics, they've been even worse than he has. You seem to want to have it both ways. You wouldn't happen to be @Ravabeerbelly too btw would you? ?

Given that since 6th October he has only started 4 of the last 20 league games it would seem the staff may be judging him the same way. 

Personally I think he’s technically excellent and his contribution to retaining possession, keeping the team playing a certain way and setting up attacks rather than actually creating opportunities means he is worth his place.

But then I wasn’t ever in the boat that wanted him playing further forward as a 10 or expecting him to be at the sharp end. His assets are wasted there where time and space is at a premium….that was obvious as early in the season as Salford in the EFL Cup.

Ravel hasn’t been what I expected him to be, is probably the best way I can put it. I was expecting a clearly technically gifted player, who was a bit of a knob and didn’t put enough effort in. I’d argue we’ve seen the exact opposite. There’s been no issues with him off the pitch, and he seems a decent hard working lad. But his performances prior to yesterday were in general those of player who lacks in natural footballing talent. Which was a bit disappointing, considering the potential he was supposed to have.

However, he was outstanding yesterday. Not just the two goals, but his all round play was superb. He linked up with his teammates beautifully, glided around the pitch with some wonderful touches, and got himself into some great positions. Much, much more like what we want to be seeing from him. Have to be careful that it’s just one game though, and the challenge now is for him to put in those sorts of performances more regularly.

FWIW, to me, he seems to be the sort of player who does the hard stuff well and struggle with the basics. He’s capable of some amazing skill when he doesn’t have time to think, but can mess up fairly simple passes when he does. I guess that comes from a lack of game time across his career, it’s almost like he’s a raw 21 year old still. But, with good coaching, I’m sure we can make a decent player out of him at this level. We just have to hope Wayne is able to get it out of him. Perhaps getting him further forward more often is the key, I think he’s a natural number 10 and that’s the sort of areas we need to be getting him involved in if we’re going to see the best from him. 

Hope yesterday proves a turning point for him. Should help restore his confidence, and he appears to be recovering from long COVID as well now.  We need everyone firing over the next 10 games, then we’ll see where we’re at in the summer.

2 hours ago, sage said:

I think we looks a yard quicker after his enforced break. This is probably the most minutes he has ever played in a season, so we can't expect consistent excellence. 

With this season under his belt and a full pre season he could be amazing next season. 

Most minutes was 13/14 - half season with West Ham in the PL before going to QPR on loan for the 2nd half.

He'll soon overtake his 2nd best season, 12/13, when he was on loan to Birmingham.

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Most minutes was 13/14 - half season with West Ham in the PL before going to QPR on loan for the 2nd half.

He'll soon overtake his 2nd best season, 12/13, when he was on loan to Birmingham.

Why do you think he has played so little in the last 7-8 years ?

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think he's been pretty average for most of the season, but he was noticeably better against Millwall, Cardiff and obviously yesterday. I think people would have recognised his performances in those games a bit more if he hadn't been underwhelming for most of the season. 

They'll certainly have taken notice now though so hopefully he can keep it up (and keep us up in the process).

Yep, now would certainly be a good time for RM to have an amazing run of form. 

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Morrison appears to be getting fitter. Although he has shown a few glimpses of his undoubted talent he seemed shattered very quickly but the last couple of games he's s looked quicker, sharper, and match fit.

If he carries on like this for the rest of the season they'll be plenty of championship clubs who miss out on promotion sniffing round and willing to take a chance on him. 

Great work from Rooney for giving him the chance and getting him in this form and frame of mind.

Hope we can keep him somehow.

I think if Wayne wants to sign him on, it will happen. Ravel seems happy at Derby and thats got to be a deciding factor for him on the decision he will have to make at the end of the season.

At the start of the season, I was hoping to see Bielik and Morrison playing together as much as possible. Imo they could be something our midfield has been missing since Thorne and Hughes. The question is, who'd be the third one...

Bird and Knight are both our better players, but I think Knight would suit the role better if we play Bielik as a DM. Even though Bielik and Morrison are technically very good players, they are not that dynamic and movement is obviously what Knight has more than anyone. If Bielik plays defensive along with Bird, it creates opportunity for one of them to roam around, which at the moment should be Bird. Bielik still needs time recover from the injuries.

So, I'd go with Bielik-Knight-Morrison as a default. Together they offer everything midfield needs with or without ball, whereas with Bird, the midfield would be superb with the ball but not as strong without it. 

Ravel offers more flair and attacking threat than other midfielders so I'd play him over Bird or Knight, even when the latter two are better players. It's all about the roles they've been asked to play..

There is definitely talent there. I always thought he linked up really well with Lawrence and they appear on the same wavelength. If we can get 7 or 8 performances out of them between now and the end of the season we may stand a chance, both of Saturdays finishes show how good technically he is. Especially the second, most players would have snatched at it and blazed it over the bar.

I say we do what the vast majority has done this season and stick by the team....Raval is part of that team so we support him till the end......those two goals he scored on Saturday (could have been 3) will/should boost his confidence no end.....if he performs like that in every game till the end of the season we will stay up....COYR ???

Edited by BriggRam

15 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

It is only an opinion. I don’t think there is a right or wrong. Most opinions are based upon how things would be different if something else was done eg team selection, refereeing decisions, manager setting up the team. 

Correct ?

A fact is at least in theory verifiable or falsifiable. An opinion is insufficiently defined to be verified or denied. For that reason it cannot be considered right or wrong.

1 hour ago, ollycutts1982 said:

There is definitely talent there. I always thought he linked up really well with Lawrence and they appear on the same wavelength. If we can get 7 or 8 performances out of them between now and the end of the season we may stand a chance, both of Saturdays finishes show how good technically he is. Especially the second, most players would have snatched at it and blazed it over the bar.

The thing with talented players is that other players aren’t always on their wavelength.

Rav often has the ball in advanced areas and is looking for a player to provide an angle.

If he doesn’t see one, he will pass sideways or backwards to retain possession. Cue groans from the fans, who from their lofty position in the stands and through their beer goggles, don’t always appreciate that ‘obvious’ passes are blocked by waiting defenders.

Lawrence’s return gives him a reliable ally. I hope they thrive together.

Over the season we've seen both why he was so highly regarded and why he never seemed to fulfill his potential.

Hopefully he goes on a good run of form and finds the net some more. If nothing else, that brace is going to make teams have to consider him a threat and hopefully that takes some attention off festy, plange and captn Tom.