Rav Morrison

Comrade 86

Found a home hasn't he? A few folk are still saying he needs got rid of. Fair enough, that's clearly their opinion. Why anyone would be repeatedly saying that when there's 10 games remaining in the most difficult season in decades, I'll not dwell on any further, but I do wonder why he has not been judged by the same metrics as some of our other players. He's always worked hard for Derby, he's tried to settle, he's all about the team and especially mindful of the young'uns and to a degree, he has already succeeded when he's failed so often before. Clearly, he absolutely loves the club, the coaching team and us fans, so whilst he's not and should not be exempt from criticism, it's hard to fathom why some choose to single him out so often.

In fairness and for balance, for a player with such outrageous technical ability, he's not shown enough consistently as yet. The coaches will be talking to him no doubt and I'm sure Rav himself has high expectations of himself and would admit that some strong early performances seemed to give way to a 'safety first' mindset and yet despite his age, I do wonder whether with Rav, it's simply a case of confidence and being made to feel welcome and appreciated. We all know he's made mistakes in the past and some will understandably argue that he's been given chances to redeem himself before now, but why should we care about that? Surely it's only his work ethic at Derby with which we should be concerned?

Looking to the future and with his first full season under his belt, I do wonder what we might have on our hands if he stays. Whilst some still say he should be first out the door, I think he might well have silenced them before end of season. Most doubters will be genuinely happy to admit he's worth a slot if he does, I've no doubt of that. We can be hard to please but for the most part, we're not an unfair bunch. One or two, not so much, but you can't please everyone. A very small minority need someone to dislike and sadly for Rav, he fits their bill. He may silence them, but he'll never be loved by them in the same way as some other players, even those with far less potential upside. Alas, such is life and perhaps Rav himself will need to accept that fact if he is to complete the most unlikely of renaissances, but what a story that would make. That's the message I'd be drilling home.

For my part, if his growing confidence over the last few games maintains an upward curve, which I believe it will, I wonder whether Rav might not prove the most unlikely of heroes should his goals and assists ultimately help keep us in this league? The way I see it, the issue then would not be whether or not he stays, but rather whether or not we can keep hold of him. I guarantee that he'll be interesting one or two now that he seem to have dealt with his demons, but I hope the love he's been shown by the club and the majority of us fans would be enough to convince him that Derby is his true home and that he can still become a legend, though not perhaps in the fashion he once envisaged.

Food for thought?

COYR

In the interim, here's his message to us:

12 minutes ago, RealisticRam said:

Crikey, he's had 1 good game in god knows how long... 

Wouldn't get rid as we need the bodies in the squad but he's struck me as broadly lazy and ineffective. 

He's been one of our best players in 3 of the last 4.

Agree that @86 Hair Islands has probably gone a bit early though.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

6 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

In fairness and for balance, for a player with such outrageous technical ability, he's not shown enough consistently as yet. The coaches will be talking to him no doubt and I'm sure Rav himself has high expectations of himself and would admit that some strong early performances seemed to give way to a 'safety first' mindset and yet despite his age, I do wonder whether with Rav, it's simply a case of confidence and being made to feel welcome and appreciated. We all know he's made mistakes in the past and some will understandably argue that he's been given chances to redeem himself before now, but why should we care about that? Surely it's only his work ethic at Derby with which we should be concerned?

There's players down the decades that have found missfortune with our fans, Morrison is no different, You had a rant yesterday at one poster because he called him out, You are now fawning over him.

Morrison has undoubted talent, The highlighted part above is why he's yet to convince all, Yesterday showed what a Morrison can do when he plays further forward, Also hitting the bar, He struggled to get back in the team after his red card,Then yesterday he was used in a more attacking role,  When previously he was played further back, Whether that is down to the coaching staff or Morrison himself he's surely wasted that far back.

The comment on his confidence is all important, The more confident a player is the better performances we get, Lawrence is another example, Until a month or 2 into the season he was just another Ram in a shirt, Then we started to get results, Results bring confidence, Lawrence showed this with a bucket full of confidence.

Only Morrison can decide his future performances, 2 goals doesn't make a summer tho those 2 goals may make Morrison.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Can't be arsed to go trawling through the stats but he came within a whisker of scoring against Cardiff. Was a good header.

Some might argue he missed an absolute sitter. What is his average rating in the player ratings we give players each game ? That might show us how he has been performing compared with others.

Just now, 86 Hair Islands said:

How many did the rest of the team have put together? ?

None, but I wasn't the one saying Morrison had been one of our better players. I'm simply asking if it's not goals, assists, shots on target or clearances then I'm not sure what metric we are looking at to justify that statement.

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Some might argue he missed an absolute sitter. What is his average rating in the player ratings we give players each game ? That might show us how he has been performing compared with others.

Depends where you look, no?

3 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

There's players down the decades that have found missfortune with our fans, Morrison is no different, You had a rant yesterday at one poster because he called him out, You are now fawning over him.

Morrison has undoubted talent, The highlighted part above is why he's yet to convince all, Yesterday showed what a Morrison can do when he plays further forward, Also hitting the bar, He struggled to get back in the team after his red card,Then yesterday he was used in a more attacking role,  When previously he was played further back, Whether that is down to the coaching staff or Morrison himself he's surely wasted that far back.

The comment on his confidence is all important, The more confident a player is the better performances we get, Lawrence is another example, Until a month or 2 into the season he was just another Ram in a shirt, Then we started to get results, Results bring confidence, Lawrence showed this with a bucket full of confidence.

Only Morrison can decide his future performances, 2 goals doesn't make a summer tho those 2 goals may make Morrison.

Haven't fawned over him at all. I've myself questioned his consistency and admitted that I can see why folk have an issue with him. The rest of it is in your head. He was strong in early performances and went missing afterwards. The point I made was that he's finding form and that should be supported not derided. It ain't that complicated.

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

I don’t think he has but didn’t see yesterday’s game….

I think he's been pretty average for most of the season, but he was noticeably better against Millwall, Cardiff and obviously yesterday. I think people would have recognised his performances in those games a bit more if he hadn't been underwhelming for most of the season. 

They'll certainly have taken notice now though so hopefully he can keep it up (and keep us up in the process).

1 minute ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Haven't fawned over him at all. I've myself questioned his consistency and admitted that I can see why folk have an issue with him. The rest of it is in your head. He was strong in early performances and went missing afterwards. The point I made was that he's finding form and that should be supported not derided. It ain't that complicated.

That’s your opinion, not a fact….I saw 2 of those games and in both he did not stand out at all other than all of the passing back to the keeper and slowing the tempo down…..