Matchday Thread: Derby County vs. Barnsley

cannable

On 02/03/2022 at 01:44, cannable said:

Go on then, it’s my turn.

If my past form is anything to go by then we’ll lose this game but my hosting of the matchday thread will subsequently trigger the run that keeps us up.

Dad’s in Jamaica for this one so I’m taking my mate who’s gotten a bit weird with the drinking and in recent weekends has;

• Been bollocked by his mum for turning up at her work’s due and referring to her colleagues as ‘wet women’ and then waking up at six in Leeds

• Thought he’d pulled a student, ended up playing Mario Kart with some 18 year-olds then fell asleep on a lads floor(?)

• Fell asleep on Friargate the other night after Luton

So yeah, I’m dreading Saturday more for having to take him out rather than Derby losing.

We’re probably down. Despite the runs that gave us hope we still probably have been. So don’t be sad, or disappointed, or blame the players. This season’s been about defiance and love, just roll with it. After 18/19 and 13/14 this has been my favourite Derby season. 

Fight ‘til the end.

Superb @cannable. Worthy of Adam Kay. You have defined the season’s legacy…1965 the Summer of love 2022 the season of defiance & love. You’ll go far, I like your logic and hope the Rams win not least because you’ll have to follow this with that difficult 2nd album. “Poets, Priests & Politicians have words to thank for their positions, no-one’s jamming their transmissions…” et cetera, et cetera. Does your friend have narcolepsy? 

2 hours ago, kingsy1884 said:

There seems very little fervor to sell out the stadium as there has been in recent weeks? Not sure if anyone else has noticed it?

Feels like there is a particularly low mood around the club at the moment. And rightly so after what everyone players and Fans have been through over the past 5 months.

If we lose to Barnsley the trap door is pretty much open to the overtures of the fat lady I think.

Reality is probably beginning to bite tbh. 

2 hours ago, kingsy1884 said:

There seems very little fervor to sell out the stadium as there has been in recent weeks? Not sure if anyone else has noticed it?

Feels like there is a particularly low mood around the club at the moment. And rightly so after what everyone players and Fans have been through over the past 5 months.

If we lose to Barnsley the trap door is pretty much open to the overtures of the fat lady I think.

Then it's down to those of us in the stadium to lift the mood. We don't need to sell it out.

Think you are sort of right, having said that anything over 25k would be an excellent crowd especially if Barnsley only bring say 2k max.

We have funding until end of season and ticket prices are high for this game compared to Peterborough and both those factors will negatively impact on crowd. Revenue should be decent though 

11 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Superb @cannable. Worthy of Adam Kay. You have defined the season’s legacy…1965 the Summer of love 2022 the season of defiance & love. You’ll go far, I like your logic and hope the Rams win not least because you’ll have to follow this with that difficult 2nd album. “Poets, Priests & Politicians have words to thank for their positions, no-one’s jamming their transmissions…” et cetera, et cetera. Does your friend have narcolepsy? 

73089D5F-D509-4DD3-865B-A0E95D525C54.gif

12 minutes ago, archram said:

I’ll be there for only 2nd time since October 2019. Even better, for the first time since then 2 of my granddaughters will be with me and my son. There used to be 4 of them, but one is busy having babies and the other has gone off to university. Can’t tell you how excited I am just to be there!

Tremendous,  you deserve some excitement after all you've been through. I hope The Rams can put on a display for you and get them much needed 3pts. 

17 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Then it's down to those of us in the stadium to lift the mood. We don't need to sell it out.

I agree. Due to various personal issues and Covid it's my first game of the season.

Went to the Betis friendly but I have not been to a game since Charlton (H) on 30 Dec 2019.

Genuinely excited and I guess that's what's it's all about.

Edited by kingsy1884

Allsop

Stearman    Davies    Cashin

Byrne  Knight  Bielik  Bird   Buchanan    

Lawrence     
                                      CKR

Roos, Forsyth, Plagne, Morrison, Thompson, Ebosele, Ebiowei

I must be watching different games to those bigging up Ravel, he's been mediocre at best all season and a major problem in slowing us down on the break, really expected more from him tbh. Too often bottles it when a forward pass is needed, Plange had some good movement against Cardiff but only once did the ball get played to him.

Not saying Sibley has been much better, but as we saw against Peterborough, he can score goals, no matter how frustrating he can be the rest of the time, I think WR bottled it not persevering with him in Tom's absence, and leaving it to last few minutes against Cardiff was pointless.

So please, tomorrow,  play with a high tempo from the start, play positively,  pass forwards and pass quickly, and if we are not winning with 30 to go make positive subs, use the players, what few we have, that can score goals. I like the look of Ebiowei, but not ahead of Sibley, Plange or CKR, whichever 2 are on the bench.

Edited by Rich84
Spelling

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

like this quote from Rooney very much, we need to take our chances (something we’ve needed to do for a long long time now), so who are the players to do it? Ebiowei from the start? Lawrence? 

Weird comment for me as why wasn't he putting the players in the team before that would have enabled us to win the previous games?

Unless he just means picking Lawrence now which is a no brainer anyone could make

2 hours ago, DCFC1976 said:

Allsop

Lawrence     
                                      CKR

I like that team….bring Festy on for the last 25 mins ??

2 hours ago, Rich84 said:

I must be watching different games to those bigging up Ravel, he's been mediocre at best all season and a major problem in slowing us down on the break, really expected more from him tbh. Too often bottles it when a forward pass is needed, Plange had some good movement against Cardiff but only once did the ball get played to him.

Not saying Sibley has been much better, but as we saw against Peterborough, he can score goals, no matter how frustrating he can be the rest of the time, I think WR bottled it not persevering with him in Tom's absence, and leaving it to last few minutes against Cardiff was pointless.

So please, tomorrow,  play with a high tempo from the start, play positively,  pass forwards and pass quickly, and if we are not winning with 30 to go make positive subs, use the players, what few we have, that can score goals. I like the look of Ebiowei, but not ahead of Sibley, Plange or CKR, whichever 2 are on the bench.

Agree about Ravel apart from the fact I expected nothing. We need to be positive and play with a much higher tempo ?

4 hours ago, DCFC1976 said:

Allsop

Lawrence     
                                      CKR

Agree Stearman should start. Maybe Bird on the bench to sub for Bielik if necessary, and give Tommo a start. And Ebiowei up front to be subbed by CKR if we need a change. Will be disappointed if Morrison starts 

Edited by kevinhectoring

We’re looking good at the moment, losing two quality players from last season seems to have cost us big time, but bringing into the team two quality players in February might have saved our season. This game is absolutely massive for us as they all are now nothing less than a win will do. 

Edited by NIGHTMARE