Matchday Thread: Derby County vs. Barnsley

cannable

12 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

When’s the last time Knighty scored ?

Pulled this from the predictions thread as should discuss it here.....

IIMO this is one of our major issues, we have a few players like Knight, Bird, Morrison,  Bielik, Thomson (Joz previously) even Festy, Byrne, Buchanan that do a decent job but none really look like they are going to score regularly (or chip in at all) we have desperately needed those in the supporting roles to pose a threat, get the odd goal, but it just isn't there, and when we get in good positions (Cardiff away) we just don't shoot enough.

Only Lawrence and Sibley have that in their locker, we can debate all day every day about Sibley but he is a goal threat, oh to blend him with Knight's temperament and he would make a massive difference. In the meantime he really needs to be given more time on the pitch, he gets us playing further forwards which would help the likes of Knight, as I said, IMO though, and that matters not a jot, only WR32's opinion does.

Need to be positive today, I expect Lawrence to shoot on sight and most go wayward, but it's what we need, a lucky deflection,  a rebound falling for us, resulting corner that we score from, anything to pose a threat.

16 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Weird comment for me as why wasn't he putting the players in the team before that would have enabled us to win the previous games?

Unless he just means picking Lawrence now which is a no brainer anyone could make

Don’t take it too literally - it’s motivational speak to whoever he’s picked - to have a little faith because Rooney is backing them to score…so Lawrence, CKR, and possibly Sibley up front. 

18 hours ago, DCFC1976 said:

Allsop

Stearman    Davies    Cashin

Byrne  Knight  Bielik  Bird   Buchanan    

Lawrence     
                                      CKR

Roos, Forsyth, Plagne, Morrison, Thompson, Ebosele, Ebiowei

I like that team.  I think Festy and Plange need a break for a game or two and we need CKRs presence up front.

Lawrence in for Morrison and try to get back to what we we’re doing before this slump in form.

As great as Beilik is, our midfield shape has changed and we’re less dynamic as a result. Need to find a way to get that back. knight definitely needs to be kept central.

Plange’s complete drop in form is very concerning given our lack of forward options and CKR’s star is on the wane, so Lawrence need to be in top form to carry our attack.

3 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Lawrence in for Morrison and try to get back to what we we’re doing before this slump in form.

As great as Beilik is, our midfield shape has changed and we’re less dynamic as a result. Need to find a way to get that back. knight definitely needs to be kept central.

Plange’s complete drop in form is very concerning given our lack of forward options and CKR’s star is on the wane, so Lawrence need to be in top form to carry our attack.

Thought Plange did well on Tuesday.

Just now, Ramarena said:

Agree. Plange plays like an extra midfield player. Neat and tidy but not really a goal threat. He’s not alone. We have so few players who even look remotely interested in scoring a goal. I really thought Knight would become the box to box Bryson replacement. 
We have to find an attacking midfield threat to keep the heat off Lawrence and Co.

As for CKR, he has the most powerful shot in the club and he doesn’t use it early enough. Set him up twenty yards out and encourage him to let fly!

Midfield is key... and, over the last few games in particular, I don't think we've had the right mix. Only one of Bielik or Bird can play in a 2 in the centre for me. In our good spell last season, Bielik always had someone alongside him (Shinnie) doing the dirty work. Harsh on Max, but I'd be starting Knight or Tommo in that position over him today.

16 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Thought Plange did well on Tuesday.

I thought some of his runs were ok and we didn’t find him at all (something that tends to happen when Morrison plays)

That said when he did get the ball he struggled to keep a hold of it, he was facing some pretty physical CB’s which isn’t his strength.

He does seem quite down confidence wise, which is to be expected given he’s a youngster. Hopefully Lawrence’s return will be a boost.

30 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

We are missing Tommo and Watson who both know which direction we are supposed to be playing in. And Plange’s problem us that we are not getting the ball through to him to feet.

21 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Agree. Plange plays like an extra midfield player. Neat and tidy but not really a goal threat. He’s not alone. We have so few players who even look remotely interested in scoring a goal. I really thought Knight would become the box to box Bryson replacement. 
We have to find an attacking midfield threat to keep the heat off Lawrence and Co.

As for CKR, he has the most powerful shot in the club and he doesn’t use it early enough. Set him up twenty yards out and encourage him to let fly!

I think Knights problem is that Rooney has used him to plug gaps.

He sees Knights value as a player, so always try’s to fit him in somewhere, but this is detrimental to Knight as he isn’t always playing his game, which as you say is box to box midfielder. Not Jack of all trades midfielder.

As you say Plange is more of a second striker/attacking midfielder, works well when Lawrence is there to share the load, but struggles alone. I did feel we should have been playing Plange or Sibley off CKR whilst Lawrence was out instead of Morrison, but we went down the zero attacking threat route and suffered.

4 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

i genuinely think planges deal with palace has upset the status que within the squad

Nah. I think because we've lost a few games people are looking for things to pin it on. I don't think this is it. We knew players could go and so did the players themselves. It's not as if it's all gone completely pear shaped since that moment. We did beat Hull and Peterborough. The team are giving it their all. We've not done a whole lot wrong just been slightly off it the past few games unfortunately.

14 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Nah. I think because we've lost a few games people are looking for things to pin it on. I don't think this is it. We knew players could go and so did the players themselves. It's not as if it's all gone completely pear shaped since that moment. We did beat Hull and Peterborough. The team are giving it their all. We've not done a whole lot wrong just been slightly off it the past few games unfortunately.

Plange did well against hull but hasn’t done much since. Really beating hull and Peterborough in the form they are in is the least we should be aiming for.

15 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

If you want to pin the last 3 defeats on something easy and simple, it's Lawrence being suspended. Obviously, it's not as simple as that, but i think the squad are just knackered more than anything.