Matchday Thread: Derby County vs. Barnsley

cannable

Cracking performance today. Feared the worst after 3 defeats & Barnsley on the up but went at them straight from the off & dominated throughout.

Clearly the line up confused most of us but  credit to Rooney for a good pick. Ebiowei offered plenty right side & had 2 nearly moments, one sumptuous cross first half & a fantastic effort just wide early in the second half. Very left footed but playing on the right worked well.

Best call was with Ravel playing just off Plange though. Long been confused why he's continued playing so deep with the quality he has & today we finally saw what he's capable of. Two great reactive finishes for the goals, another shot smashing off the crossbar, worked very hard on the press & linked up well with others. Very clear MOM. He offers the team another creative outlet & on that display, has to take the pressure off Festy & Lawrence as our go to matchwinners.

Overall we were very comfortable throughout. Their number 14 was a bruiser up top but Curtis & Cashin had him tethered & Allsop was very secure sweeping. Barnsley offered little throughout & I will be very disappointed if they finish above us. Also, dreadful away support...worst set I've seen this season. Mute all match & most were leaving on 75 mins!?!

Still sceptical we can dig our way out of this but today was much needed. Got to be brave in our next two matches, nothing to lose. Play like today & we've every chance of collecting points in both. COYR ??

17 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What a totally OTT post. My initial response was removed for some reason ? Maybe you could ask yourself why Rava has played so few games during that period? Temperament maybe? How many good games have you seen him play for the ?? I am glad he played well today but one swallow and all that…..and try not to be so totally condescending in the future eh???

He played well today, just enjoy it. Half full, not half empty. You Rams!!!!

52 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What a totally OTT post. My initial response was removed for some reason ? Maybe you could ask yourself why Rava has played so few games during that period? Temperament maybe? How many good games have you seen him play for the ?? I am glad he played well today but one swallow and all that…..and try not to be so totally condescending in the future eh???

Yeah, you were so delighted that he played well that you chose to dredge up meaningless stats to rubbish him, yet again. Tedious AF.

Great performance today, Ravel take a bow we’ve been waiting for that performance and you delivered thank you x COYR ????

What a joy to be there again with the girls- they said they’d forgotten how much they enjoyed it, though winning always helps! The crowd are so involved and a big part of the excitement. I thought we’d run out of energy in the last 15 minutes or so but still kept going somehow. What a team, staff and supporters to be proud of!

Mighty. That was mighty!!! 

I was a little apprehensive because Barnsley were supposedly the form team, ripping up the league. So who were we playing today? There was a bit of a flash at the start where they zipped the ball around, but it was only a flash. Maybe the ref clamping down giving a free kick for a hefty challenge, then booking the next Barnsley Chopper nipped the heavy stuff in the bud. Its amazing what happens when a ref does what he is paid to do! From then on we controlled the game - Barnsley only had one real effort on goal in the first half. And our first goal was well deserved and was an absolute beauty. I really love goals when they are chipped over the keeper. And yes, it looked like Morrison was offside. 

So a ref clamping down on fouls early on, a dodgy decision going our way - it's almost as if Wayne's pointing out the refereeing deficiencies last week has had an effect! Second half carried on in much the same way, and Derby looked so comfortable, almost all match long. Oh, and suddenly the ball has started falling kindly for us - Tom rattled the bar and it fell right into the path of Ravel who dispatched his shot with aplomb. So how come Rooney, who has known Ravel for years, didn't know that he plays best further forwards? My hart sank when I saw that he was ahead of Sibley and Watson yet again on the team sheet when we have been crying out for someone who plays with a bit of forwards momentum. But that is exaclty what we got today!

I struggled about Man of the Match because just I had singled out Max Bird who was terrific from the start, I notice Ebosele was putting in a shift both attacking and defensively, or Ravel, obviously, or the unflappable Davis, or Allsopp came to my attention. Nobody had a duffer today, but I am going to single out Cashin. He misplaced a couple of passes, but he was up against a bruiser today, and the only reason he wasn't in Cashin's back pocket is that he was too big to fit in there. How many times Cashin pinched the ball in a tackle when he should have been well beaten reminded me of Colin Todd. He didn't seem to let anything go past him. A superb display.

And the ref - I wold dare to suggest he was the best we have had for maybe a coupe of seasons. Well done Wayne!

Well took my four year old daughter to her second game, interest levels waned more this time but still says she wants to go again. Might leave it for a bit but problem is now she’s a good luck charm. 100% record 2/2. I didn’t manage that with my early games!! Best bit though is her and my soon to be 3 year old daughter singing allez allez allez completely unprompted before they went to bed. The look on their mummy’s face was priceless ??

As for the game it was brilliant, at times it was sumptuous. We looked like we could cut them open at will. The first goal was magical, Plange may have been 1/2 yard offside at the most but we were able to witness the sheer genius of Ravel. It was an excellent finish for his second as well.

Last two games weve seen the Ravel we saw early season but today was by far his best performance in a rams shirt. Thought Holloway on Quest made a decent point (for once) he’s got some insight into Ravel as he managed him in the past and was saying if he just believes in himself and stops thinking he should’ve been a top player for United and England then he could be a good player still. Wouldn’t it be great if he could have a late career Renaissance all in a Rams shirt. He works hard he’s committed he’s a team player he looks out for the youngsters, everything about this guy is right for our club it’s just not quite worked out for him on the pitch so far.

Besides Ravel, it was great to see Lawrence back and thought he had a decent game. Good first start for Ebiowei, Bird much more like it today, Bielik from about 20 mins onwards was a Beast had a spell before half time where he bossed it, as soon as we lost the ball he won it back enabled us to build some pressure. Plange deserved a goal, his all round play was excellent, he is an excellent footballer. Curtis and Festy solid performances, Cashin majestic again, and yet another 7.5/8 out of 10 from Byrne.

The biggest revelation this season though….Allsop! If we keep him next season and he continues at the same level I’ll start to view him alongside some of my favourite keepers. Carson and Poom are the two best in my time watching Derby, Allsop will be approaching Camp/Grant level if he backs this season up.

Its on again!!!! It was never really off!!! COYR!!! ????

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I was eagerly awaiting your response to Ravel's performance. 

You didn't disappoint 

First appearance at the Wazzteca this season for owd MoodHoover and very enjoyable it was. Here's some random gripes..... ?

- why did Barnsley play in all green, given their first strip is red shirts and white shorts, like forest-who always play at PP in, er, red shirts and white shorts 

- Allsop looked very accomplished and much more of a unit with the defence than I ever saw Roos or Marshall being. 

- our passing was very good to feet, but too many times to static players rather than on the move. This I think will come if partnerships can develop. 

-almost a lovely goal from ebiowei when he curled it past the post with the Barnsley keeper just waving it past... 

-a lot of good play interspersed with the occasional comedy panic moment as someone hoofs it straight up in the air... ?

Great day out chaps. 

I said to my old dad after the game today (he is to unwell to go these days, but still a massive fan). Thing is we won today in 2nd gear, played pretty well, but if needed could have raised it. Especially 2nd half. Felt like we had the beating of them. 

Also if Barnsley are a form team, there is little to be worried about. They were turd. Felt like if we played them for a week we'd have still won, and by more.

Great support today, as always, my son's gave it their all again.

That is what matters the most, we turn up, get behind them, and keep fighting. 

And there is a sniff that we can stay up, definitely still we have a chance.

COYR

9 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

First appearance at the Wazzteca this season for owd MoodHoover and very enjoyable it was. Here's some random gripes..... ?

- why did Barnsley play in all green, given their first strip is red shirts and white shorts, like forest-who always play at PP in, er, red shirts and white shorts 

- Allsop looked very accomplished and much more of a unit with the defence than I ever saw Roos or Marshall being. 

- our passing was very good to feet, but too many times to static players rather than on the move. This I think will come if partnerships can develop. 

-almost a lovely goal from ebiowei when he curled it past the post with the Barnsley keeper just waving it past... 

-a lot of good play interspersed with the occasional comedy panic moment as someone hoofs it straight up in the air... ?

Great day out chaps. 

Agree about Allsop, playing well and seems to have confidence

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Huge must win game. Pretty good performance. 3 points and Reading lost, and the day closes with the thread on Page 18. Not only do I hate it when we lose, I hate it that I usually after to wade through 40 to 50 pages of poo because we lost.

The Sun rises the Sun sets. We lose people want to gripe, we win so people go out for a drink - it is the natural order, just like the million times your comment has been made.

Barnsley had a couple of really good chances in the first half.

Cashin got turned and skinned by one of their forwards but Allsop made a decent stop.

Then they robbed us in midfield as we overplayed but completely butchered a three on zero on their left of our box and passed it into our 3 defenders who had gathered on the other side. 

Small margins indeed. ?