Things that annoy me that should annoy me

sage

Items such as chicken, bacon etc which are packed in plastic containers with a cellophane lid. You're meant to grip a corner and pull the lid off in its' entirety yet 9 times out of 10 all that comes away is the strip along the 4 edges, leaving me having to stick a sharp knife near one side to get at the contents.

Drives me up the wall.

11 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Items such as chicken, bacon etc which are packed in plastic containers with a cellophane lid. You're meant to grip a corner and pull the lid off in its' entirety yet 9 times out of 10 all that comes away is the strip along the 4 edges, leaving me having to stick a sharp knife near one side to get at the contents.

Drives me up the wall.

Whilst it is annoying when it takes multiple attempts and a sharp knife to remove, I just remind myself that it would be far worse if it was the other way around. At least it shows that the product has been sealed properly.

I'd much rather have difficulty removing the film from time to time than to get home with my shopping to find that the film has somehow been torn in my bag, or worse not realise until a few days in the fridge that the seal has been broken and the product I thought had a long date on it has already started to turn.

If it was too easy, you'd also get more silly t**** going round supermarkets thinking it funny to ruin products by opening them up.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

6 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Whilst it is annoying when it takes multiple attempts and a sharp knife to remove, I just remind myself that it would be far worse if it was the other way around. At least it shows that the product has been sealed properly.

I'd much rather have difficulty removing the film from time to time than to get home with my shopping to find that the film has somehow been torn in my bag, or worse not realise until a few days in the fridge that the seal has been broken and the product I thought had a long date on it has already started to turn.

If it was too easy, you'd also get more silly t**** going round supermarkets thinking it funny to ruin products by opening them up.

Some of us are old enough to remember when you actually spoke to someone who cut it and wrapped it up for you on the spot. But let's not worry, that plastic is so convenient for you and us - even if it does then end up in the food chain for thousands of years as micro-plastics.

Visiting a new barbershop. Not sure there's a more frightening prospect.

Never mind the prospect of the cut not being properly translated from your garbled amateur description to this new hired hand (seriously, what do you actually ask for in the barbers?), there's also the even worse prospect that your new barber is a total moron and rather than genteel but interesting thoughts on David Bowie in the 1980's, vintage Triumph motorcycles and left wing politics you can get a bloke ranting on about itemised GP procedure profit margins and Covid and import tariffs on Portuguese goods. 

The phrase "He's a confidence player" used to excuse poor performance.

How many of us would get away with such an excuse in our jobs?

"Why haven't you hit your quarterly targets?"

"It's not my fault. I haven't had the requisite amount of smoke blown up my arse, so I'm too sad to perform the job I'm paid for."

Edited by Anon

BBC overstaffing.

Using an outside reporter to introduce a report by someone else. Andy Swiss travels the world but only talks for about 20 seconds at a time. What's wrong with the army of commentators also out there? Same with news reports.

At the Lioness game there were at least 9 women involved not including the commentators, all of them quite screechy. Pre-match, half time pundits and post match waffle. Muted them till match started.

following on from the post above.... Radio has been playing excerpts from commentary of the England ladies.

It seems that the commentator has a list of superlatives to tick off during comms. It's cringeworthy.

That said, it's better than Gary Weaver on Sky. Absolute clown of cringecomm

I’ve long found the tv reporters who go and stand outside buildings really annoying. Why do you need some fool to stand outside Buckingham Palace to talk about a royal person? We know what it looks like, you’re not going to get in there, so why bother? Or outside a hospital by the sign that says the name of the place, just why? I don’t need you to travel the country to stand by a white and blue sign to be able to talk about a bloody hospital 

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

BBC overstaffing.

Using an outside reporter to introduce a report by someone else. Andy Swiss travels the world but only talks for about 20 seconds at a time. What's wrong with the army of commentators also out there? Same with news reports.

At the Lioness game there were at least 9 women involved not including the commentators, all of them quite screechy. Pre-match, half time pundits and post match waffle. Muted them till match started.

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

BBC overstaffing.

Totally agree,got fed up with the english version and switched over to Spanish.

On 18/07/2022 at 10:29, Elwood P Dowd said:

House Insurance

The law was changed recently to make Insurance companies offer the same prices to new customers and existing customers however you still need to keep an eye on the insurance companies.

My house insurance renewal is due next month and this morning I got the renewal quote so I checked it against Go Compare and the same company is offering the same House Insurance product for £21 less. I understand that there are factors which may effect the price, so I compared the Go Compare details and the renewal quote and could find no difference.

I rang the Insurance company and explained the issue they very quickly offered me a price that was £23 lower than their renewal quotation which I accepted.

When we were going through the payment they mentioned that they do not hold any payment details for me and this would stop an Auto Renewal next year. Why on earth would I want to Auto Renew with them when I know I cannot trust them.

caveat emptor

Had the same issue last week, Car insurance, I cancelled my auto renew with my online account last year, Had a letter telling me my car insurance is due for renewal early August £193 from £189, Sod that, Went on comparison site, Same company(Privilege Ins)£143, Just saved £50 for 10mins work...unbelievable   

Edited by ThePrisoner
Cheating the swear filter

10 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

It looks as if they’re delivering it to the house over the road, unless you have very nosy neighbours 

We have very good neighbours with a great WhatsApp group who were all interested to know  why there was a police car and two police vans in our cul de sac.?

5 hours ago, maxjam said:

And again following on from the above 'woke' overstaffing - especially in understaffed sectors.

NHS is currently advertising £108k/yr Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. You could get 3 paramedics for that...

You must disagree, but I'm pretty glad that the third largest employer in the world has someone making sure it's an inclusive place to work. 

Alternatively, any prospective Directors of Inclusion can always apply for similar roles currently on offer at other stalwarts of the 'woke' agenda like Credit Suisse (half a banker), Aldi (6 shelf stackers) or Time Warner (20 seconds of a Bugs Bunny cartoon)...