Things that annoy me that should annoy me

sage

I’ve previously railed against this use of the word “so” that people have starting to use when, usually, beginning a reply. Watched the Chase the other day and when asked what he did for a job, the contestant said “so, I’m an IT consultant”. And what would you with the money if you won? “So, I’d have a holiday if Florida”. 

it’s getting worse. You hear it all the time. In the pub “what’s that you’re drinking?” “So, it’s a pint of London Pride”. ? 

1 hour ago, Turk Thrust said:

I’ve previously railed against this use of the word “so” that people have starting to use when, usually, beginning a reply. Watched the Chase the other day and when asked what he did for a job, the contestant said “so, I’m an IT consultant”. And what would you with the money if you won? “So, I’d have a holiday if Florida”. 

it’s getting worse. You hear it all the time. In the pub “what’s that you’re drinking?” “So, it’s a pint of London Pride”. ? 

Our CEO started his latest monthly summary email with "so".  This is is a chap who is supposedly as smart as they come and has a doctorate.

The plague continues to spread.

16 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Our CEO started his latest monthly summary email with "so".  This is is a chap who is supposedly as smart as they come and has a doctorate.

The plague continues to spread.

I went to an alumni lecture at my University where they had got an old boy (yes - male, pale, stale) back to talk about his career at the very top of a very large company. Everyone wanted to know what was the one thing they needed to work on to be successful and one person asked him, in the Q&A, what was the one thing that had allowed him to be so successful. His answer? Luck!

It's so true, I have people around me at work - they are not bad people, they are not bad at their job but they maybe had someone above them retire, or got associated with a big account just before it bought a load of stuff, or work for someone who pulled them in turn up through the company.

Personally, I believe that while you need huge amounts of luck, you also need the ability to self-promote and shine (but not too much) and you need some degree of emotional intelligence (ability to not rub people up the wrong way). And a lot of luck, a lot of luck. But intelligence, even to quite a basic level, really isn't (imho) part of the secret sauce.

So (and I did that one ironically), what annoys me and should annoy me is when people who have been successful in life don't realise that if only the wheel had spun differently a couple of times they would not be where they are. Most of the time it is largely out of their hands, even if they may be (sometimes) too arrogant and self deluded to appreciate that.

Vaping. Utterly pointless.

I'd rather someone fire up a cigarette near me than receive a waft of hubba bubba gum. 

1 hour ago, Diego said:

Vaping. Utterly pointless.

I'd rather someone fire up a cigarette near me than receive a waft of hubba bubba gum. 

In addition, I've long been predicting that in 20+ years time there will be a huge medical crisis when all the folks that took up vaping realise that the unregulated chemicals they've been happily (and annoyingly) breathing in have been gradually rotting their lungs. If you want to stop smoking, then stop smoking - don't replace one unhealthy habit with another that may well be even worse....

23 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Woke up this morning to find all our rattan  garden furniture and an egg chair had been stolen, rang the police on 101 they said someone would be in touch to give us a crime number which  we received via text mid afternoon, meanwhile I did my own detective work, checked with neighbours and secured cctv footage of the crime taking place at 4am.

My daughter posted it on Facebook for any more  information and received a private message from someone a couple of miles away who said she saw  her neighbours , who are apparently well known local drug dealers and receive visits from the police on a regular basis, carrying the furniture into their garden. Straight away rang the police back with the address and relevant information  to be told the officer that would be dealing with it will not be back at work till tomorrow afternoon and there is no one else available.

An update, said officer did get in touch and apologised that no one took it on yesterday, he promptly got things moving took the evidence I had gathered and went round to the address and collected our furniture loaded into the back of their van and delivered it back to us. Community policing in action. He said it would be difficult to get a conviction cos the cctv was not clear and it would be hard to prove who actually stole it, but they have been trying to evict the family for years and this hopefully will be enough points against them to secure this. Faith restored for the boys in blue. 

On 08/07/2022 at 00:39, Foreveram said:

Woke up this morning to find all our rattan  garden furniture and an egg chair had been stolen, rang the police on 101 they said someone would be in touch to give us a crime number which  we received via text mid afternoon, meanwhile I did my own detective work, checked with neighbours and secured cctv footage of the crime taking place at 4am.

My daughter posted it on Facebook for any more  information and received a private message from someone a couple of miles away who said she saw  her neighbours , who are apparently well known local drug dealers and receive visits from the police on a regular basis, carrying the furniture into their garden. Straight away rang the police back with the address and relevant information  to be told the officer that would be dealing with it will not be back at work till tomorrow afternoon and there is no one else available.

My sister had her horse box stolen.  She had it registered on so some database that people can contact to see if what you are buying is stolen.  Amazingly this worked, my sister was phoned up by the database people, was given the address where the phone box was.  Passed this onto the police, but they were not interested so it was an insurance payout.

Brother in-law then had his quad bike stolen.  This had a tracker on it so they knew where it was stashed.  Police again not interested.  So brother in law and his father went and got.  Found it in the corner of some field hidden underneath some rubbish.  I didn't ask if they took the shotguns, but this could have ended very badly.

What do the police do all day?

9 minutes ago, DerbysLane said:

My sister had her horse box stolen.  She had it registered on so some database that people can contact to see if what you are buying is stolen.  Amazingly this worked, my sister was phoned up by the database people, was given the address where the phone box was.  Passed this onto the police, but they were not interested so it was an insurance payout.

Brother in-law then had his quad bike stolen.  This had a tracker on it so they knew where it was stashed.  Police again not interested.  So brother in law and his father went and got.  Found it in the corner of some field hidden underneath some rubbish.  I didn't ask if they took the shotguns, but this could have ended very badly.

Back in the mid nineties a mate of mine saw the local scumbag breaking into his neighbours garden shed.

He managed to scare him of with  a loud Oi.

He then rung the police to report said scumbag.

Scumbag was then arrested.

Police asked him to attend an id parade to pick out the offender.

Mate picks scumbag out of line up as man he saw breaking into shed.

Police then ring up my mate a few days later saying that they couldn't use the ID parade as supporting evidence as my mate knew who the scumbag was prior to the offence.

Scumbag released and off scot free.

Somethings you just can't make up.

Remember that old Public Information advert "Don't Be An Amber Gambler", cautioning against jumping the lights? Well, from my recent experiences, we need a new one along the lines of "Go Through Red, End Up Dead". I now drive expecting it at almost any and every junction. 

Maybe the proposal to give out life sentences to drivers who kill through drink, drugs or plain reckless driving will have an impact, but I'm sceptical. 

The f*****g w*****s. 

On 12/07/2022 at 12:59, DerbysLane said:

They do nothing that involves getting out of the car.

Proper getting old with this moan....

On my estate, infront of our row of houses, there's a large patch of grass, think 1/4 of a pitch maybe a little smaller. It's not had houses built on it something to do with drainage. 

I get irrationally angry when kids come and play on it and make a noise, so much so that I tell the missus there's kids on our grass and march around the house. I don't go out because its not my grass, and young kid me would have laughed at old grumpy me.... 

On 12/07/2022 at 12:59, DerbysLane said:

Friend of mine is Plod. Works a town about the size of Chesterfield and quite often is the only on duty police in the whole town. The idea that they are all sitting in the back room playing cards and watching Tipping Point is really not the problem, it's the defunding of public services - budget line by budget line - is the point to consider.

It's going to be hot in the next couple of days, in case you haven't turned on a single media source in the last week. Yes, take care, do all the sensible things. But it's not fire and brimstone descending from the heavens - which it seems every news reader would have you thinking. Someone said to me yesterday "we've got a red warning coming, that's insane" to which I asked what a red warning actually was, what did it mean. Not a clue - just been told that red is serious, panic away!

If someone is tuning in from Greece or Portugal we must look like a right bunch of donuts, acting like it's armageddon.

House Insurance

The law was changed recently to make Insurance companies offer the same prices to new customers and existing customers however you still need to keep an eye on the insurance companies.

My house insurance renewal is due next month and this morning I got the renewal quote so I checked it against Go Compare and the same company is offering the same House Insurance product for £21 less. I understand that there are factors which may effect the price, so I compared the Go Compare details and the renewal quote and could find no difference.

I rang the Insurance company and explained the issue they very quickly offered me a price that was £23 lower than their renewal quotation which I accepted.

When we were going through the payment they mentioned that they do not hold any payment details for me and this would stop an Auto Renewal next year. Why on earth would I want to Auto Renew with them when I know I cannot trust them.

caveat emptor

12 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

It's going to be hot in the next couple of days, in case you haven't turned on a single media source in the last week. Yes, take care, do all the sensible things. But it's not fire and brimstone descending from the heavens - which it seems every news reader would have you thinking. Someone said to me yesterday "we've got a red warning coming, that's insane" to which I asked what a red warning actually was, what did it mean. Not a clue - just been told that red is serious, panic away!

If someone is tuning in from Greece or Portugal we must look like a right bunch of donuts, acting like it's armageddon.

We are honestly pathetic when it comes to the weather. We must be the nation with the most narrow temperature tolerance. The country routinely breaks down the moment it drops below freezing, now we can't handle 2 days of hot weather without having to be reminded by the government to drink water.

13 minutes ago, Anon said:

We are honestly pathetic when it comes to the weather. We must be the nation with the most narrow temperature tolerance. The country routinely breaks down the moment it drops below freezing, now we can't handle 2 days of hot weather without having to be reminded by the government to drink water.

I'm waiting for the BBC to launch a channel just for the weather.  Then I realised I'm already paying 160 quid a year for it.  It's BBC 1