Things that annoy me that should annoy me

sage

6 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Was there not a slidy key inside the fob? Have you ever noticed a little buttony-release thing on the fob near the keyring hole that isnt the lock/unlock button?

Oh yes. I was already aware, so knew what to do…

split the fob, to reveal an actual key. Use it to gently lever off the cover cap in the door handle, which in turn reveals the keyhole, and in you go. 
But it was quicker to write “dismantle the door handle”! ?

Edited by Mucker1884

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

yeah, but if he only had to open the bonnet catch, the key should unlock the driver's door or even the central locking system.

The physical part of the key unlocked the physical keyhole (once exposed). 
central locking was dead, along with everything else. ?

5 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Complete random here, I have a 9 year V/Corsa it does me proud, Had it 6 years, Only found out a few months back that If I hold the unlock door button down it will open the front windows from a distance, Utterly useless for me...but was so pleased I wet myself ?

Try holding the lock button on the fob, when it’s raining and you’ve left the windows open!

you will be moist for a week… and not from the rain, as you don’t need to dash out!  ?

5 hours ago, Phoenix said:

One January some years ago, my cousin who lives in Ashbourne, was taking his daughter to Manchester aiport for a flight to Canada. It was snowing and by the time he got to Manchester there was about 2-3 inches lying. This, naturally, caused flights to be cancelled for the unforseeable future.

My cousin, fearful that the people who were to meet her in Canada would have a wasted long journey, and not being able to contact them, phoned the airport in Canada (don't know which one) to warn them. Don't ask.

"Gee, you're planes are grounded!? How much snow have you got!?".

"About 2 - 3 inches"

Peals of laughter on the other end of the phone.

To be fair, I have it on good authority (but stand to be corrected) that it really is “different snow” over there. 
Very dry. Very powdery. 
6” on the car?  Just sweep off with a soft brush, and away you go. No scraping windscreens. No frozen locks… and no snowballs, as they just crumble, being too dry. 
?‍♂️

7 hours ago, Phoenix said:

One January some years ago, my cousin who lives in Ashbourne, was taking his daughter to Manchester aiport for a flight to Canada. It was snowing and by the time he got to Manchester there was about 2-3 inches lying. This, naturally, caused flights to be cancelled for the unforseeable future.

My cousin, fearful that the people who were to meet her in Canada would have a wasted long journey, and not being able to contact them, phoned the airport in Canada (don't know which one) to warn them. Don't ask.

"Gee, you're planes are grounded!? How much snow have you got!?".

"About 2 - 3 inches"

Peals of laughter on the other end of the phone.

That's fairly predictable. 

For the amount of time it snows here why would they invest in the snow ploughs etc that Canada has. 

It's like people in Florida laughing that we don't have air con in our houses. We'd use it three times a year. 

11 hours ago, Chester40 said:

The home improvement retailer's advert that says:

'Don't be house-barassed'.

I don't get it, it's like there is a play on words, but unless I'm missing something...it isn't?

Really bugs me.

That's a really bad one. I also get annoyed by adverts that try to brute force a pun that isn't there. I saw an advert for a convenience store sandwich with the tag line "The bun and only". Who the f*** pronounces it "bon"?

On 03/08/2022 at 09:35, Mucker1884 said:

Annoying thing No 1:
Having need for this, whilst away on holiday back in June:

Having to dismantle the door handle just to get in the bloody thing to lift the bonnet catch... battery had died whilst switched off and locked!  Literally nothing would work.

ea37008c-36a9-490f-be67-49c3132b8133.thumb.jpg.b20198eb0e634ea009d8a42629eebab6.jpg

Annoying thing No 2:
Having the same thing happen 3 weeks later at home, and calling out the AA man.

Annoying thing No 3:
Having a car full of gadgets, but a battery not up to the job of supplying enough oomph to get said gadgets to work.  No keyless entry on 3 of the 4 doors.  No auto engine stop/start.  Constant warnings about low battery etc!

Annoying thing No 4:
Ford having the car for a day, only to say there is nothing wrong with the battery.  ?

Annoying thing No 5:
Waiting 4.5 weeks to drop your car back in, as the last diagnosis was inconclusive, so they needed to re-book it back in "for a few days", for further and more thorough investigation, and 4.5 weeks was the next available slot for a 3 day courtesy car.

Turn up this morning... no record of requiring a courtesy car, and seemingly none available!  ?

40mins and one kick-off later, a courtesy car miraculously becomes available!

Annoying thing No 6:
Courtesy car not been valeted inside or out... and its duckin' red! ?

IGNORE!
All happy again now!  ?

Shittee red car returned!
New battery fitted under warranty. 
Keyless entry now working again on either/any of the 4 doors, and for literally the first time since I bought the car (12 months ago! ?), the engine now cuts out when I stop, as it should (Auto stop/start) so I can now start saving the lives of polar bears again! 

Annoyed?  Moi?  Never!  ??

12 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

IGNORE!
All happy again now!  ?

Shittee red car returned!
New battery fitted under warranty. 
Keyless entry now working again on either/any of the 4 doors, and for literally the first time since I bought the car (12 months ago! ?), the engine now cuts out when I stop, as it should (Auto stop/start) so I can now start saving the lives of polar bears again! 

Annoyed?  Moi?  Never!  ??

I think they did some research on stop/start, which showed it's only beneficial if you've stopped for at least 7 seconds.

On 04/08/2022 at 08:56, Anon said:

That's a really bad one. I also get annoyed by adverts that try to brute force a pun that isn't there. I saw an advert for a convenience store sandwich with the tag line "The bun and only". Who the f*** pronounces it "bon"?

I pronounce ‘bun’ to rhyme with ‘one’ - then it works perfectly well as a play on words. Not hugely amusing but not the worst.

33 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think they did some research on stop/start, which showed it's only beneficial if you've stopped for at least 7 seconds.

Cheers, Ghostie.  ?

Between you and me ?, I'm not really overly eco!  (Am I a bad man?)
It was the principle of it.  Pay for 10 gadgets, get 8!  It niggled me!

In all honesty, the auto stop/start in my previous car (VW Sharan) annoyed the hell out of me, and I always deactivated it... but that was because it worked in tandem with an auto electronic parking brake (hand brake in old money).  Trying to creep a heavy (AUTO) car forward 2.5 inches to get a better view at a T junction, all whilst having to hit the accelerator (required to re-start the engine AND disengage the parking brake) is not a delicate operation!
At least with my current car (Ford Galaxy) the parking brake, whilst still electronic, is not automatic.  So to creep forward is just a matter of taking the foot off the brake (Which re-starts the engine, and immediately allows the car to creep forward on it's own, auto-stylee, without the need to touch the accelerator).

Much more gentle.  Much more delicate. 
Early days yet, but I suspect I won't be deactivating the stop/start on this one... regardless of how many polar bears it may or may not save.

?

My car tells me that in 14000 miles, auto stop has saved me approximately 51.1 miles of fuel or emissions. So for this monumental saving I have been lugging around a huge, heavy, battery, beefed up starter motor, starter ring on the engine, larger generator and more complex electronics. I am dubious that it is actually saving anything.

I can remember when cars had 4 gears, A reverse gear and a handbrake, And I could take a starter motor out of a Vauxhall Viva in less than 5mins with plenty of room for a picnic in the engine bay.

Progress aye...who'd have thought it ?

3 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I can remember when cars had 4 gears, A reverse gear and a handbrake, And I could take a starter motor out of a Vauxhall Viva in less than 5mins with plenty of room for a picnic in the engine bay.

I would have loved to have seen the face of the Viva owner returning to see you having a picnic out of the engine bay, Alf. 

6 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I still can’t find the starting handle for our 2 year old car I’ve looked under front seat, that’s where they usually are.

Just nipping out to put the parking light on the car?

22 minutes ago, maxjam said:

We've got wooden floors throughout the house and a few nice rugs.  Guess where the dogs choose to throw up...

Cats are the same. 

They'll move heaven and earth to make sure that hairball lands on soft furnishing rather than hard floors.