Huddersfield Town (A) Matchday Thread

Ghost of Clough

37 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

we shot ourselves in the foot tonight. Yes, Stearman got sent off but that's because we're still passing it around the back when really we don't have the players to do this. I also think bringing Sibley off was an error tonight, we desperately needed him as an outlet and taking him off changed the nature of the game. I think whilst the first goal was desperately unlucky we kind of made our own luck today with the tactics. Against Birmingham we didn't deserve anything and today I'm not sure we did either. 

I think the frailty of the squad is beginning to show unfortunately and with Stearman out at the worst possible time my belief in the great escape is starting to falter. If Reading hit any kind of form I think we'll really be struggling.  

I think that is a very well balanced summary of where we are at.

Red card after 3 minutes is a killer.

Didn't have my glasses with me so couldn't tell you if it was or wasn't.

I do know we defended our arses off for 75 minutes before it fell apart, didn't threaten their goal much, few balls in got a ooh, but in the end I'm rather tipsy and deflated by it all.

Interestingly, the game got moved to the main screen in the pub I was at, took my iPad not expecting it to be on, but a number of fans requested our game to be put on over Celtic v Rangers.

2 hours ago, cosmic said:

Byrne takes a crap free kick and then bulldozed into their player out of frustration. Takes out his legs and gets a yellow. Absolutely no need.

Every need. The guy had just taken Ebosele out and the ref (as usual) gave nothing.

Got a great round of applause from the fans because it was a rare bit of justice from the evening. 

Back in Brum now and nursing a whisky to soothe my throat.

That red card absolutely killed the game. Haven’t seen a replay and admittedly it was a reckless challenge, but unless it was dangerous then surely the ref gives a yellow. It was the first challenge of the game. Completely changed the complexion of the game and we had our backs to the wall from then on. Thought we defended as a team, subs were very defensive but understandable. Shame Sibley’s touch deserted him when 1 on 1, I have to say I can see why Rooney doesn’t give him more time on the pitch as he hasn’t delivered on his potential yet. He’s got it in him but needs to start producing. And what a jammy bloody goal to concede.

In spite of the result, we had an amazing night. Took my lad to only his second away game and I’ve honestly never been in an atmosphere like it. Not got to many games this season as my lad plays so much sport at weekends, and I’ve never known the fans to be so united behind the team. And so LOUD! Didn’t stop singing for 90 minutes and I felt proud to be part of it. The support was incredible tonight. Can’t wait to get to some more games, I might have to give Kinder Jnr a minor injury to get him out of his fixtures!

Edited by Kinder

As soon as Stearman give the ref the opportunity of a red (I don’t think it is), the game was in essence over.

They are a better team than us regardless so we could only set ourselves up to nullify them. It generally worked well but I didn’t get the Cashin sub and that gave them a bit more opportunity to attack.

We we’re preying for one moment. We actually got it - Sibley through one on one and over touches it. You probably could have written that in all fairness. He wasn’t the player I wanted that opportunity to fall to.

I hate to say this but for me, Thomson needs removing from the team. I think he’s just a really limited player and is really struggling now. I’m hoping Bird is fit and Bielik is ready to start next week. Having them will actually push everyone else as well IMO.

As for centre back - tough one - either trust Cashin or put Forsyth in. I’m leaning to Cashin.

Final point - Ebosele really doesn’t make the best use of his best asset….speed. He needs to make runs and be found from the runs but wants it to feet. When he has it, he now seems to keen to make a pass than knock it by a defender and outsprint them. I think after the Coventry game someone has told him to work on his end product and it’s actually backfired.

I expected nothing from tonight so I’m not too upset.

Got back from Huddersfield approx 45 mins ago and catching up,on twitter and the Forum as you do.

A few observations 

* Team  gave it everything , when you consider the injuries this last week and the sending off we did well.

* Sibley was knackered, and it was the imo time to take him off, he hasn’t played for a while . I thought he put a real shift in, having to play up front with little support he still fashioned out two decent chances , thought it was tactically smart to put Plange out wide by Rooney.

* Huddersfield made three second half subs and I think our change in formation was partly due to that and that Rooney wanted to get Festy further up the pitch , upto the fluke goal I thought we were still well in it and wouldn’t blame the formation change for our defeat.

* Festy lucky not to be sent off, the booking was stupid ...having said that thought he was excellent, with the right coaching he could be some player.

* Our support tonight was magnificent, amazing what 1800 fans can sound like

10 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Back in Brum now and nursing a whisky to soothe my throat.

That red card absolutely killed the game. Haven’t seen a replay and admittedly it was a reckless challenge, but unless it was dangerous then surely the ref gives a yellow. It was the first challenge of the game. Completely changed the complexion of the game and we had our backs to the wall from then on. Thought we defended as a team, subs were very defensive but understandable. Shame Sibley’s touch deserted him when 1 on 1, I have to say I can see why Rooney doesn’t give him more time on the pitch as he hasn’t delivered on his potential yet. He’s got it in him but needs to start producing. And what a jammy bloody goal to concede.

In spite of the result, we had an amazing night. Took my lad to only his second away game and I’ve honestly never been in an atmosphere like it. Not got to many games this season as my lad plays so much sport at weekends, and I’ve never known the fans to be so united behind the team. And so LOUD! Didn’t stop singing for 90 minutes and I felt proud to be part of it. The support was incredible tonight. Can’t wait to get to some more games, I might have to give Kinder Jnr a minor injury to get him out of his fixtures!

Spot on re support, in my 50 plus years of supporting Derby one of the best away nights in terms of backing our team , Proud is exactly what I felt to be part of that away following 

The positives...

Bielik is back - He needs games but the lad is back and we saw in the last game what he can do. Let's back him all the way as this lad's a gamechanger. 

Team spirit - I don't know how Rooney has achieved this but he's built a squad ethic where every player works for every other player, without fail. Yep, we're still prone to errors, but the physical commitment and mental strength of this group of players is suddenly unlike any Derby team I can remember. These guys are warriors and even if we do go down, we'll go down fighting to the end.

Our support - Off-the-hook! Been great all season to be fair but the ramping up over the last month or two has been incredible. Better still, it's unshakeable. Despite the knocks, last night our fans were in full beast-mode from minute 1 to 90, apparently without drawing a single breath. You could see the effect on the players who themselves have been at pains to mention it whenever they get the chance. Absolutely immense IMO and a huge credit to the club.

Our Academy - Still plugging every gap as it occurs with burgeoning young talents. That said, we need to mind these kids as left to their own devices they'll run themselves into the ground, yet despite some leaving the club, when the dust settles from this season, we'll still have the bedrock of a very good side. Another well-earned doff of the cap then to Messrs Wassall, Lyons and co for their continued outstanding work. 

Obviously I'll be one of those who refuses to admit we're relegated until it becomes a mathematical certainty, but through my rose-tinted glasses, I still see better days ahead. No one at the club seems ready to give up just yet so I'll be damned if I will.

COYR

9 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

As long as Reading continue to be awful we have a chance. I believe we will overhaul Barnsley and Peterborough anyway.

Unfortunately Reading have far too many players of a good enough standard to continue to be awful 

9 hours ago, Sheff Ram said:

Still can't get over all the hate that's out there for us. It's almost like we murdered someone. We've had punishment way in excess of the crime and people are still baying for blood. What is wrong with these people? They actively spend more time trolling Derby than supporting their own clubs. Can't say I ever go on other clubs social media to troll other teams.

Absolutely - it’s the accusatory sound bites of the last 2-3 years that people believe to be facts - there’s not much we can do about it. Even a full public inquiry wouldn’t do much as nobody outside of Derby country supporters would read it.