Urgent Question on DCFC in Parliament

EulogyForEvolution

35 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

That’s what I was thinking, assuming we still have a club next season it would be a nice gesture to play a pre season friendly.

Might be a bit of a problem!??

The ground has been unused since August 2019, when Bury FC was expelled from the English Football League. In November 2020, the club was placed in administration and Gigg Lane was put up for sale in May 2021 by the administrator.

A fan group known as Est 1885 says it has signed an agreement to buy Bury FC, along with its intellectual property, trading name, history and assets.

A spokesperson for the group said it hoped the club would be reinserted into the footballing pyramid in time for the 2022/23 season.

Image this…….No wonder the Bury MP spoke with so much passion.

2 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Might be a bit of a problem!??

The ground has been unused since August 2019, when Bury FC was expelled from the English Football League. In November 2020, the club was placed in administration and Gigg Lane was put up for sale in May 2021 by the administrator.

A fan group known as Est 1885 says it has signed an agreement to buy Bury FC, along with its intellectual property, trading name, history and assets.

A spokesperson for the group said it hoped the club would be reinserted into the footballing pyramid in time for the 2022/23 season.

Image this…….No wonder the Bury MP spoke with so much passion.

We can only hope for those fans, who know exactly where we are tonight.

I will definitely be closely following on the back of that MP today. 

5 hours ago, Miggins said:

Suggestion made that they all get put in a room together, the door is locked and they are not let out again until they have come to a 'pragmatic' solution.

The problem with that is that if the EFL, Wycombe, Boro and the administrators are all in a room together, there’s not actually anyone in that room that gives a poo about the fans and the football club.

the pragmatic solution all these mps (bar the one from boro) are hunting at is that either Boro and Wycombe show some sort of compassion and drop their cases, or the EFL at least rule that they are not footballing debts and can be handled separately. But unless Quantuma have some massive card uk their sleeve, I can’t see that conclusion being reached.

it needs a Margaret Beckett, if the sports minister, or the lady doing the fan lead review, to be sat in that room, bringing them all in line and saying ‘now, now, be sensible you bunch of vindictive idiots.’

9 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

We can only hope for those fans, who know exactly where we are tonight.

I will definitely be closely following on the back of that MP today. 

Be nice to see a few bury scarves or something in our crowds. A show of solidarity between clubs that have been ducked over by the efl. And a show that clubs can actually show solidarity with each other, we are all part of a footballing community, sticking the knife in just isn’t how it’s done. 

Just watched the discussion in parliament on YouTube.

Great to see the support from all sides including the ministers stand in.

Cant see how it can fail to make a difference,certainly in terms of the efls approach...they will not be doing their own organisations future many favours if they fail to react positively.

The writing is already on the wall for them,they need to pull something out of the bag here and sharpish.

20 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

The problem with that is that if the EFL, Wycombe, Boro and the administrators are all in a room together, there’s not actually anyone in that room that gives a poo about the fans and the football club.

the pragmatic solution all these mps (bar the one from boro) are hunting at is that either Boro and Wycombe show some sort of compassion and drop their cases, or the EFL at least rule that they are not footballing debts and can be handled separately. But unless Quantuma have some massive card up their sleeve, I can’t see that conclusion being reached.

it needs a Margaret Beckett, if the sports minister, or the lady doing the fan lead review, to be sat in that room, bringing them all in line and saying ‘now, now, be sensible you bunch of vindictive idiots.’

We can hope, but i suspect the court order to cross class cram down is the only one they hold, and with it, there would be consiquences.

2 hours ago, SBW said:

Has it?

They've made a statement stating what the club need to do.  It's there for everyone to see, they just volleyed it right back into Q's court.  

this is a key point for me EFL say in their statement that 

The EFL invited each of the Administrators, Middlesbrough FC, and Wycombe Wanderers to make submissions on this point last week, and we are now in the process of reviewing those submissions with a view to identifying a route to resolve the conflict

Their review of these submissions will I think lead them to conclude the claims are specious and dangerous to the league. And they are under pressure following the debate. All this will lead them to put pressure on M/W to resolve and it will certainly lead to us getting lenience re proof of funds 

7 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

this is a key point for me EFL say in their statement that 

The EFL invited each of the Administrators, Middlesbrough FC, and Wycombe Wanderers to make submissions on this point last week, and we are now in the process of reviewing those submissions with a view to identifying a route to resolve the conflict

Their review of these submissions will I think lead them to conclude the claims are specious and dangerous to the league. And they are under pressure following the debate. All this will lead them to put pressure on M/W to resolve and it will certainly lead to us getting lenience re proof of funds 

I guess everyone can only hope that comes to be the case!

Also just watched the debate in the Commons today & very grateful to all bar one present for the sentiments expressed. Particular kudos to Margaret Beckett, who I gather had her late husband's funeral only last week but spoke with eloquent fury in the Chamber & the Bury North MP who emotionally articulated the devastation of the town post the demise of Bury FC.

Obviously the Boro MP was always going to blindly trot out the propaganda & wilfully ignored the fact that the architects of the 'cheating' are no longer at the club & that the club in being in administration is not in a position to defend itself. He should be ashamed of himself.

I think the exercise was definitely worthwhile in terms of letting the EFL know the spotlight is firmly on them & serving notice that their putrid & petulant regime is coming to an end with the adoption of an independent regulator. The time honoured tactic of faceless bureaucrats, "we're just following the rules" has been extinguished by the clear call from the Minister for a pragmatic solution.

Lets hope the public scrutiny starts banging some heads together.

Watched the debate properly an hour or so ago. This is very much my area of work and I thought the cross-party solidarity and particular focus on resolving our issue (not just the wider governance problems) was very striking. 

I also note that the EFL is toast. The MPs weren’t talking about giving them a chance to redeem themselves here. They talked about them not acting with dignity, not in the fans’ interest, being in receipt of a £250m bailout (I think that was the figure mentioned) and therefore beholden to act for a wider good. 

Strikingly, there were several calls for the primary legislation timetable to be clarified and brought forward - which I gathered would happen this week. This legislation is the setting up of the independent regulator, and the disbandment of the corrupt boys’ club model they have now. That is to say - no more EFL. I hope they’re glad they picked this fight. 

Incidentally, the timescale that the select committee MP (Mr Knight?) mentioned regarding the bailout seems around the time that Gibson was first talking about suing the EFL directly. Not that I’m suggesting that Gibson is developing a pattern of trying to strong arm things to go his way by threatening the financial stability of bodies at a period when they are in financial crisis. 

10 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

the pragmatic solution all these mps (bar the one from boro) are hunting at is that either Boro and Wycombe show some sort of compassion and drop their cases, or the EFL at least rule that they are not footballing debts and can be handled separately. But unless Quantuma have some massive card uk their sleeve, I can’t see that conclusion being reached.

tina fey karate GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt     Get Margaret in there

13 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

I think you are wrong. Did you listen to all of it? I did. Government minister   demands EFL take action to save our great club. His words. And he's a Palace fan.  

He even LOOKED like a Palace fan too! 

Joking aside, although he was trying not to commit his government to anything, his words were very supportive. 

James Daly MP was the star of yesterday.

The passion this bloke has for Bury FC is inspiring. 

If you watch nothing else today watch this bloke describe how no one cared about one of the “little clubs”.

https://hu-hu.facebook.com/jamesdalymp/videos/️️football-governance-reform-and-bury-fc️️yesterday-i-spoke-in-the-westminster-h/137280635136548/