Urgent Question on DCFC in Parliament

EulogyForEvolution

13 minutes ago, Bobby said:

I suspect that the way the boardroom of the EFL works hasn’t changed much since the 1880’s, like a gentleman’s club, big cigars and leather seats. 
They won’t like their feathers being ruffled and regardless of modern laws and practices will want to keep it that way.

You seem a decent chap Bobby. How do you feel about the potential for clubs to sue each other through an internal EFL process if any regulations are breached?

Transcript of Middlesbrough MP Andy McDonalds contribution from yesterday

As a lifelong Boro fan, can I say to the hon. Member for Mid Derbyshire (Mrs Latham) that no Middlesbrough football club fan wants to see Derby County—a great football club—go into administration and exit the league. There are great links between our clubs, not the least of which was personified by the great Brian Clough. I know that the Minister is doing his best, but the details are complicated. There is the potential claim, which is founded in the mismanagement of Derby by its previous owners, who offended against the rules and were punished as a result. That is why we are in this position today. I urge the Minister to familiarise himself with the statement from Middlesbrough football club, which has made it clear that it does not want to see Derby fall into liquidation and that it

“is happy to be realistic in its expectations in order for Derby County to exit administration.”

I encourage the Minister to encourage the EFL to encourage the administrator to engage with Middlesbrough, which is very realistic about how it can assist in this process, but at the moment is being met with silence.

full transcript of the debate here.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2022-01-18/debates/B738D22B-07DD-4A51-AD59-76B63C629245/EnglishFootballLeagueGovernanceDerbyCountyFC

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

How do you feel about the potential for clubs to sue each other through an internal EFL process if any regulations are breached?

Isn’t that the point of arbitration?

We need to get away from the scenario where clubs are allowed to sue other clubs by bullying the EFL and threatening to sue them if they don’t get their own way. That’s just ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Transcript of Middlesbrough MP Andy McDonalds contribution from yesterday

As a lifelong Boro fan, can I say to the hon. Member for Mid Derbyshire (Mrs Latham) that no Middlesbrough football club fan wants to see Derby County—a great football club—go into administration and exit the league. There are great links between our clubs, not the least of which was personified by the great Brian Clough. I know that the Minister is doing his best, but the details are complicated. There is the potential claim, which is founded in the mismanagement of Derby by its previous owners, who offended against the rules and were punished as a result. That is why we are in this position today. I urge the Minister to familiarise himself with the statement from Middlesbrough football club, which has made it clear that it does not want to see Derby fall into liquidation and that it

“is happy to be realistic in its expectations in order for Derby County to exit administration.”

I encourage the Minister to encourage the EFL to encourage the administrator to engage with Middlesbrough, which is very realistic about how it can assist in this process, but at the moment is being met with silence.

full transcript of the debate here.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2022-01-18/debates/B738D22B-07DD-4A51-AD59-76B63C629245/EnglishFootballLeagueGovernanceDerbyCountyFC

I can't believe he didn't receive phone calls from Steve Gibson before making that intervention

30 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

James Daly MP was the star of yesterday.

The passion this bloke has for Bury FC is inspiring. 

If you watch nothing else today watch this bloke describe how no one cared about one of the “little clubs”.

https://hu-hu.facebook.com/jamesdalymp/videos/️️football-governance-reform-and-bury-fc️️yesterday-i-spoke-in-the-westminster-h/137280635136548/

He was excellent. I thought the guy from Chesterfield was very good too

27 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I can't believe he didn't receive phone calls from Steve Gibson before making that intervention

What the intervention where he suggested "which has made it clear that it does not want to see Derby fall into liquidation and that it

“is happy to be realistic in its expectations in order for Derby County to exit administration.” was a good solution.

Note 'happy to be realistic' not 'drop the vexatious claim'!

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

The intervention where he was brandishing a paper copy of a statement that was only released online after he was sat in the debating chamber? There’s no doubt that this was co-ordinated, and in a pretty amateur way. 

If they truly wanted the minister to read the statement and respond to it, they would have released it thirty minutes earlier. We see you. 

1 hour ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

"There is the potential claim, which is founded in the mismanagement of Derby by its previous owners, who offended against the rules and were punished as a result. That is why we are in this position today."

...and were punished as a result. So why do they need another metric ton (or is it tonne) of flesh?

Also he quotes 'previous owners'. So why not go after him, not the club?

Aarsehole.

36 minutes ago, Bobby said:

Shouldn’t be allowed, as stated elsewhere it could be a ever ending domino effect.

Too true and I wouldn’t ever want my club to be doing it either but real football clubs and owners need to be shouting this from the roof tops as parasite owners of some football clubs are doing this and will continue to do it.

37 minutes ago, Bobby said:

Shouldn’t be allowed, as stated elsewhere it could be a ever ending domino effect.

I can sort of see Jordan’s point yesterday, that the rule exists and was voted for by the member of the league, and their may be situations where clubs would need to sue other clubs, for defamation, or gazumping a transfer deal or something, but it should definitely have a clause added that you can’t sue based on your league position. The results of the league are the results, you can’t go changing them after the fact. Just like the results of an indicios game can’t be changed, even if a dodgy decision is proved, even if illegality is proved, it’s just poo luck, move on, that’s the nature of sport, if you have an issue you bring it up there and then, plead your case with the ref, and his decision is final.

It’s like the argument of people being suspended the game after they’ve done something wrong, therefore benefiting the next team, not the aggrieved team. It just is what it is, maybe it’s not a perfect system, but anything else would be absolute chaos.