Urgent Question on DCFC in Parliament

EulogyForEvolution

I thought the piece by the Bury MP was probably the most powerful part, I don't think it was lost on anyone there what the implications were to the town as well as the fans.

You could just imaging the Sports minister leaving there and getting on the blower to the EFL shouting "sort your s$*t out, you incompetent morons"

The only other thing which would have made it better is if they had mentioned Mr Risdale and his inclusion in the EFL governance when the spoke about fit and proper owners tests.

4 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

It was great to see the support for the club, but there is an awful long way to go yet. 

I didn't appreciate the Minister for Sport not being there for the UQ. I know how it works and he could have been there if he wanted to.

I also want to say a huge well done to everyone on this campaign. As I said before, I work in politics and things like this do not tend to happen without pressure coming from constituents. I'm working quite far away from Derby now but there have been so many emails coming into the inbox from Derby fans urging actions. 

Keep it up. Let's hope the Minister gets straight on the phone to the EFL.

Indeed the timing of our situation, along with the governments other problems is not good.

8 minutes ago, Matlock Old Ram said:

Bury MP said it all. Very powerful and emotive speech

He was so upset and angry about the fact that the EFL didn't do anything to help to save Bury and clearly they did not care one bit about the club, fans or the town. He was the one who was most critical of the EFL's attitude.

Edited by Miggins

The tough issue here is that despite all the talk of "compromise" and "pragmatism" these are going to mean quite different things to the different parties.

Boro seem to think it means: "Pay us £10m (or whatever) for our claim and we will go away."

For us (to Boro) it means: "Withdraw your claim, it relies on unproven and unprovable 'losses' and alleged wrongdoing by owners who are no longer involved in the club, and for which that club has already been punished."

And for us (to the EFL) it means: "Let us treat this claim exactly as it would be treated if this was a non-footballing administration - ie, ignore it completely since it isn't an existing debt ("football" or otherwise), and administration rules state compensation claims can't be started or pursued against a company in administration."

For the EFL it seems to mean: "Whatever doesn't upset Steve Gibson or get us sued."

The whole thing is a mess but simple calls for compromise and pragmatism, even if aimed at the EFL and Boro, aren't specific enough. That said the political and media pressure is growing and while Gibson might not care about that, the EFL probably will. This was a useful debate, I think, and the government stand-in seemed to "get it" by the end, if not at the start. It all helps. 

(The Bury thing is a real warning: if the EFL think overruling Boro will get them sued, or otherwise hurt them, they are the type of organisation who will just sit on their hands and "not-my-fault-guv"-it up to and beyond the point we get liquidated. That worries me more than anything.) 

Edited by vonwright

23 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Bury MP ramming the point home. Well said my friend. Firmly said EFL found wanting in case of Bury and looking like the same is happening…

Yep. I do hope that in their haste to drag us over a cliff the EFL have failed to notice, wile e coyote style, that the anvil is actually chained to their ankles. Would serve them right. 

3 minutes ago, vonwright said:

The tough issue here is that despite all the talk of "compromise" and "pragmatism" these are going to mean quite different things to the different parties.

Boro seem to think it means: "Pay us £10m (or whatever) for our claim and we will go away."

For us (to Boro) it means: "Withdraw your claim, it relies on unproven and unprovable 'losses' and alleged wrongdoing by owners who are no longer involved in the club, and for which that club has already been punished."

And for us (to the EFL) it means: "Let us treat this claim exactly as it would be treated if this was a non-footballing administration - ie, ignore it completely since it isn't an existing debt ("football" or otherwise), and administration rules state compensation claims can't be started or pursued against a company in administration."

For the EFL it seems to mean: "Whatever doesn't upset Steve Gibson or get us sued."

The whole thing is a mess but simple calls for compromise and pragmatism, even if aimed at the EFL and Boro, aren't specific enough. That said the political and media pressure is growing and while Gibson might not care about that, the EFL probably will. This was a useful debate, I think, and the government stand-in seemed to "get it" by the end, if not at the start. It all helps. 

Precisely. We need to be direct! May need firm action rather than words.

What was encouraging was that all who spoke didn't try to bring cross party issues to the fore in the main. Everyone recognised the importance of doing everything to ensure our club remains in existence and all emphasised the importance that clubs have economically and socially. They recognised that had the EFL put in place a proper regulatory governance framework, DCFC would never have plumbed the depths it now finds itself in. The Bury MP was very strong on the fact that the EFL had done absolutely nothing to help save Bury and Derby shouldn't be treated with the same disrespect. There was an overall call for the EFL, the administrators, Middlesbrough, Wycombe, Uncle Tom Cobley and all to get together and resolve this situation immediately to save our club.

All of the local MPs spoke very well and Pauline Latham called on the DoSport to ensure that the EFL was made aware that it should fall into line with statute law in dealing with our way out of administration. I think it was better than we could ever expected and it is attribute to the Change Petition and lobbying of MPs that really only took off two days ago. I feel sure that for today at least the EFL train has been stopped in its tracks and this will have created some breathing space for the administrators.

So well done to all of you fans who put in so much time and effort in ensuring that Parliament addressed our predicament so quickly.

Come on You Rams, we've got to win this now.

Edited by Guest

That Derbyshire MP asked the Minister if he thinks the EFL are acting in the best interests of the fans.

His reply was that all parties need to act quickly and get it sorted.

What sort of answer is that? Not answered the question at all. 

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Precisely. We need to be direct! May need firm action rather than words.

Yep and the politicians, if they want to apply real pressure, need to make it clear what kind of pragmatism they expect - which basically means Boro dropping the claims or (more likely) everyone accepting that they fall due to administration rules, regardless of their "merits", because the priority is paying off actual creditors and saving the company. They need to make it clear to the EFL and Boro that they don't consider it "pragmatism" or "compromise" if Gibson says "Okay instead of demanding a gillizion for that time Mel made me sad, I'll accept half a gazillion."