Urgent Question on DCFC in Parliament

EulogyForEvolution

I managed to catch the whole thing. It felt like an incredibly powerful moment, and very moving at times to hear everyone talk so passionately about our football club's future.

All the right points were hit, unanimously sympathetic to our situation and critical of our opponents.

A huge thanks must go out to Pauline Latham for getting us on the agenda, and to all the supporting local MPs for helping drive the issue.

I too watched the whole debate.

I never thought I'd see the day when MPs from Nottingham and Leeds, as well as those from Sheffield, Newcastle, Glasgow, Pontypridd, and Rochdale amongst others, all supported our fight with the EFL.

And as for the MP for Bury - wow! That short speech alone totally embarrassed and shamed the EFL. I hope they were watching. Good on you sir!

I'm guessing that many of those who were in the chamber this afternoon have a favourite club or have a close relative who is a fan of one team or another and know just how important that team is to those who support it. They have an idea of how they would feel if it was their club in Derby's position and the impact it would have on the beating heart of their town. They might also have been wondering which team will be next for punishment or demolition. I thought they all spoke very well and I was impressed with the level of understanding and support shown to us and the politeness and civility shown to each speaker. There's hope for politics yet.       

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Calls for govt to get EFL Boro Wycombe Derby in a room quickly. Lots of “Hear! Hears”! 

Minister being given a proper grilling! 

Suggestion made that they all get put in a room together, the door is locked and they are not let out again until they have come to a 'pragmatic' solution.

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

This is good, it’s just a shame we are suffering this during the current parliament.

With the PM probably not making it to the end of the week political bandwidth for our cause will be in shorter supply than normal times.

Fingers crossed that doesn't happen, but I know what you mean and share your concerns.    

1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

Feel like I'm watching defence of Crystal Palace every 30 seconds.

On the other hand it's reassuring to have someone there who enjoys football and has sympathy with our situation, born out of his own experience.

Just watched through the whole thing.  Very impressed.  Well apart from Mr Pragmatic.  I may go back and 5-bar-gate how many times he mentioned pragmatic!

I'm already proud of this club but watching those MPs, most of whom support different clubs fighting for our survival was pretty awesome. 

Boro MP made me angry.  To stand there and support the claim, and to say not one person there wants us to go under.  Argh. I've lost count of how many messages I've seen from Boro fans wanting us to go under.  Complete tosh.

And yes I'm sure the EFL were watching, and were disappointed.....

1 hour ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

I’m emailing James Daly MP for Bury North and thanking him for his contribution.

………bit of finger pointing honesty about the EFL!

Daly contribution at 14:44:31

https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/bedf5521-3dfe-471b-9e3c-ba77488214db

Yep I’ve emailed him too - an eloquent and moving contribution which has already been recognised in Derby and willl be across football more widely

Good support for DCFC from across the house this afternoon - in contrast to the EFL 

40 minutes ago, Addingham Ram said:

I never thought I'd see the day when MPs from Nottingham and Leeds, as well as those from Sheffield, Newcastle, Glasgow, Pontypridd, and Rochdale amongst others, all supported our fight with the EFL.

And as for the MP for Bury - wow! That short speech alone totally embarrassed and shamed the EFL. I hope they were watching. Good on you sir!

Also available on BBC sounds, just listened to it again. Many many thanks to Pauline Latham and all that spoke

42 minutes ago, Addingham Ram said:

MP from Bury so passionate had a tear in my eye, can,t thank him enough.??