Mel, did he really eat my hamster?

Truckle

I don’t understand why we are all so keen to blame Mel rather than the EFL. 

The problem with laying the blame at Mel’s door is that the logic just doesn’t add up.  It relies on 3 pillars:

• Mel is as thick as mince
  • He actively decided to ruin and devalue an asset he owns
  • He is some kind of agent who intentionally bought Derby to ruin it.

Let’s assume for a second that Mel Morris is neither stupid nor intent on ruining the club he supports, then you really have to ask – how does any of it make sense?

There is an alternative narrative to the ‘Mel ate my hamster’ view of the world. What he did during his time was try to get us promoted by sailing as close to the limit of FFP as possible, just like every other club with a reasonably minted owner.  Where he massively failed was in not having the foresight to build a time machine.

When we submitted the financial figures to the EFL on 30th June 2016 the EFL signed-off on those figures. As a result Mel based his future spending plans on how much he could put into the club while staying within FFP using that method. He funded the club on this basis for the next 3 years, without a murmur from the EFL.

Let’s say that the EFL had been even half-way competent – it’s a stretch I know, but bear with me – and had said on the 30th of June 2016.

“Mr Morris, we don’t think you should amortise in this way, can you resubmit using the previous method?”

What do you think he would have done? Given that he’s not stupid or intent on ruining the club I’m betting he’d have said:

“Right you are, I’ll change my plans accordingly”

And over the next couple of years sold Tom Laurence and not bought Krystian Beilik.  From the figures that have been quoted I think would have been enough to comply with FFP, and if it wasn’t he would have sold someone else, wouldn’t he?  Given the alternative was to destroy a really valuable asset he owned I don’t think that is an unreasonable assumption.  I would argue the EFL retrospectively moving the goal posts and a global pandemic that disproportionately hits the best supported teams are why we are where we are rather than the blame all laying at Mel’s door.

44 minutes ago, Truckle said:

The problem with laying the blame at Mel’s door is that the logic just doesn’t add up.  It relies on 3 pillars:

Let’s assume for a second that Mel Morris is neither stupid nor intent on ruining the club he supports, then you really have to ask – how does any of it make sense?

There is an alternative narrative to the ‘Mel ate my hamster’ view of the world. What he did during his time was try to get us promoted by sailing as close to the limit of FFP as possible, just like every other club with a reasonably minted owner.  Where he massively failed was in not having the foresight to build a time machine.

When we submitted the financial figures to the EFL on 30th June 2016 the EFL signed-off on those figures. As a result Mel based his future spending plans on how much he could put into the club while staying within FFP using that method. He funded the club on this basis for the next 3 years, without a murmur from the EFL.

Let’s say that the EFL had been even half-way competent – it’s a stretch I know, but bear with me – and had said on the 30th of June 2016.

“Mr Morris, we don’t think you should amortise in this way, can you resubmit using the previous method?”

What do you think he would have done? Given that he’s not stupid or intent on ruining the club I’m betting he’d have said:

And over the next couple of years sold Tom Laurence and not bought Krystian Beilik.  From the figures that have been quoted I think would have been enough to comply with FFP, and if it wasn’t he would have sold someone else, wouldn’t he?  Given the alternative was to destroy a really valuable asset he owned I don’t think that is an unreasonable assumption.  I would argue the EFL retrospectively moving the goal posts and a global pandemic that disproportionately hits the best supported teams are why we are where we are rather than the blame all laying at Mel’s door.

What makes you think he's not stupid?

52 minutes ago, Truckle said:

He ate your hamster, shat it out, and now owns its wheel.

1 hour ago, Truckle said:

We are in administration. So either Mel has walked away when he could have provided financial support or he was spending money he could not really afford to lose. I don’t know which , but either way Mel has to take a lot of criticism.

Bur otherwise yes I agree there is an awful load of nonsense talked about Mel Morris. The same fate could easily have been befallen Aston Villa, Forest, Bristol City and so on. We have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Mel was trying to sell the club and the EFL rubbish happened and then COVID. That really was rubbish timing and I don’t think anyone could have predicted either of those happening