The Administration Thread

Boycie

1 minute ago, ColonelBlimp said:

If covid hadn't happened I reckon we wouldn't now have the HMRC debt we do.

Mel would have changed the amortization policy, taken a 9 point deduction and settled with Gibson.

A couple of player sales, (Knight?Sibley?) to pay down debt and heavy use of the academy a la this season and where would we be?

Lower mid in the championship, a team with sell on potential, lower overall debt and a more saleable club.

So, are we being too harsh on Mel? Does he deserve the level of abuse he's getting on here?

Yes why are people still sticking up for him? 

1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

I’m looking forward to the day Derby fans stop posting foul mouth rants against Mel Morris on Twitter and sitting back soaking up the likes. We all know what he’s done and how we feel about it, but I’m bored as hell of those tweets. 

Number 1 you're on Twitter so nonsense like that is standard fair, God knows why Elon Musk is interested in the platform. 

Number 2 if that's what you know is going to get served up then just don't go on there, no one is forcing you to read the comments.

Number 3 do you not think that supporters are also bored as hell as you put it in Morris' inability to do the right thing with the ground and have this drag on and on?

Edited by Tyler Durden

13 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Mel would have changed the amortization policy, taken a 9 point deduction and settled with Gibson.

A couple of player sales, (Knight?Sibley?) to pay down debt and heavy use of the academy a la this season and where would we be?

Lower mid in the championship, a team with sell on potential, lower overall debt and a more saleable club.

So, are we being too harsh on Mel? Does he deserve the level of abuse he's getting on here?

If my auntie had a thingie she'd be my uncle immediately springs to mind.

None of us know what you've speculated on would have transpired it's pure conjecture. 

16 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

But Covid did happen and he reneged on a promise to continue to fund us until the club was sold.

He also had taken our biggest asset out of the club under the guise of it helping us out financially, when all the time it was a way of getting back some of the money he had already put it in.

The abuse of him certainly isn't going to help our situation, but does he deserve it? Absolutely.

32 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Exactly. These diatribes against MM are just puerile and getting more and more tedious. Let’s move on.

Don't you think it's very presumptuous to be telling people they should move on?

Folks will move on when they're ready, Morris doing the right thing with the ground will be one of those key milestones in that journey. 

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who are you describing there, it could be most owners? Edit: including CK having selfies taken down the local pub! ?

It could. Though Mel was like the ideal fantasy, a genuine fan with  money buying the club. A local ambitious owner. Incredibly rare in the modern game.

I think a large part of the anger is a feeling of betrayal, a disbelief that a fellow fan could do this much damage. Which also comes with people willing to still defend him because he is a fan. Hoodwinked.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I hindsight, the Moor Farm breakfast club should have been where alarm bells started ringing. That was where it really should have become apparent that it was a one man crusade and nobody would ever be able to convince him that anything he ever did was wrong.

You're absolutely right. 

MM: "Who do you want as manager?"

Eddie: "Steve McClaren"

Steve eventually re-joins Derby

What an idiot - listening to me.

29 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Amazing that the other 110ish professional football clubs in England and Wales managed to come through Covid without calling in the administrators though.

The pertinent question is why did Mel Morris stop putting money in? Until we know the answer, we won't know how much vilification Mel deserves. IMO, if he was physically and economicly able to avoid administration, then he deserves our scorn. If he wasn't, he probably deserves our sympathy. 

Edited by CornwallRam

3 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

It could. Though Mel was like the ideal fantasy, a genuine fan with  money buying the club. A local ambitious owner. Incredibly rare in the modern game.

I think a large part of the anger is a feeling of betrayal, a disbelief that a fellow fan could do this much damage. Which also comes with people willing to still defend him because he is a fan. Hoodwinked.

Maybe so. But a carpetbagger is a carpetbagger is a carpetbagger! #COYR

3 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

A question that needs to be asked is do people think he is/was a genuine fan? Or was that just lip-service to get the fan base on board while he screwed things up behind the scenes?

personally, I don’t believe he was a fan, he sees the club like a business asset and nothing else, there’s no “right thing” to do because he doesn’t believe he’s done anything wrong. It’s just business

14 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Number 1 you're on Twitter so nonsense like that is standard fair, God knows why Elon Musk is interested in the platform. 

Number 2 if that's what you know is going to get served up then just don't go on there, no one is forcing you to read the comments.

Number 3 do you not think that supporters are also bored as hell as you put it in Morris' inability to do the right thing with the ground and have this drag on and on?

I don’t just use Twitter for football. 
I take it from your comments here you’re one of those who do it. 
Of course we’ve all had enough of Mel Morris, but abusing him for likes on social media is childish. 

Thanks for your instructions, I’ll ignore them. 

1 minute ago, mrdave85 said:

A question that needs to be asked is do people think he is/was a genuine fan? Or was that just lip-service to get the fan base on board while he screwed things up behind the scenes?

personally, I don’t believe he was a fan, he sees the club like a business asset and nothing else, there’s no “right thing” to do because he doesn’t believe he’s done anything wrong. It’s just business

Right at the beginning of his reign Morris emphasised the legacy he wanted to leave behind. Don't think this was it ?

2 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I don’t just use Twitter for football. 
I take it from your comments here you’re one of those who do it. 
Of course we’ve all had enough of Mel Morris, but abusing him for likes on social media is childish. 

Thanks for your instructions, I’ll ignore them. 

Of course it's childish but that's standard fair on Twitter for anything and everything not just singular to Mel Morris. 

If it annoys you that much then just don't go on any topics related to DCFC. 

I wonder what it actually takes to be banned on Twitter, personal abuse would not be one of those reasons or half the tweets would be shut down. 

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You're absolutely right. 

MM: "Who do you want as manager?"

Eddie: "Steve McClaren"

Steve eventually re-joins Derby

What an idiot - listening to me.

Yeah I thought that too. Not necessarily listening to you but bringing him back after sacking him. He should have stuck with him in the first place unless he walked out.

34 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

If my auntie had a thingie she'd be my uncle immediately springs to mind.

None of us know what you've speculated on would have transpired it's pure conjecture. 

Of course it's conjecture, 99% of this thread is conjecture.

I'm just postulating an alternative scenario.

Is it plausible? Who knows.

Has Mel done a lot of damage? Yes

Was any of it deliberate? I don't think so.

2 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Running up the HMRC debt was very deliberate, knowing that they would not take any action whilst Covid measures were in place.

Securing the loan against company assets was also very deliberate.

Had this all not been planned, he could quite easily have taken the loans in Gellaw, secured against the ground and personal guarantees, and then loaned the money to DCFC.

Edited by G STAR RAM

6 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Running up the HMRC debt was very deliberate, knowing that they would not take any action whilst Covid measures were in place.

Securing the loan against company assets was also very deliberate.

Had this all not been planned, he could quite easily have taken the loans in Gellaw, secured against the ground and personal guarantees, and then loaned the money to DCFC.

@G STAR RAM has already beaten me to this.

I still also cannot fathom the need to try and defend the indefensible.